The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Gaff Cards? a wise investment? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Little Miss Erdnase
View Profile
New user
Devon, United Kingdom
9 Posts

Profile of Little Miss Erdnase
As you know I'm new to card magic, so please forgive the blaitant questions!
however how would I use them? ones I have seen are-

Double Blank Cards

Double Backed Cards
Blank Faced Cards

Blank Back Cards

Double Faced Cards (Different values on each side)

Double Faced Card (Same value on each side)

And now, the more special cards:

3-1/2 of Clubs Card

Tree of Diamonds Card

Court Cards with different values at each end

14 of Diamonds Card

Shattered 5 of Hearts Card (pips look broken!)

52 Cards on 1 Card

Card with normal face, but back is printed like 4 miniature cards

Card with normal back, but face is printed like different miniature cards

Are there others? and are some of these just for the novelty of collecting? like jokers?

thankyou kindly!
Natalia xxx
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
There are many uses for all of those cards, many books like Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic, and Tarbells Course in Magic have whole sections decitated to the double face, double back, blank back, blank face, exc. The trick is to use your imagination. The most popular effect with the 3 and a half of clubs is to force the seven of clubs, and tell the spectator that your not going to make their card appear, but only half their card. They think that's impossible, because they think there is no 3 1/2 club. But their wrong. The court card with different values are used for tricks like mysterious kings, twisted sisters, exc. shattered 5 of harts is mainley used in romantic magic, like you force the 5 of harts, tell a story about how this girl broke your heart, and then do a color change to make the hearts "break". 52 on 1 is a gag card, I use it along with the long card. I force the 8 of spades, having the 52 on 1 on top, have them put their card in the middle and say "your cards on top", show the 52-on-1 card, and sure enough, there card is on top. Then I produce the long card. Those are the only ones that I use in my acts, I'm sure there are many uses for each card. Like I said before, use your imagination, many things are possible with each of these cards.

BTW, I don't think they are for "collecting"... I've never heard of someone who collects magic gaffed cards.
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
Little Miss Erdnase
View Profile
New user
Devon, United Kingdom
9 Posts

Profile of Little Miss Erdnase
'BTW, I don't think they are for "collecting"... I've never heard of someone who collects magic gaffed cards'

yes, as I mentioned beforehand, I apologise if my questions seem a little blonde, it's just that I thought that the 'novelty' of the cards would make them more 'desirable'.
luckily I do have Mark Wilsons complete course in magic, but have yet to read it, as of late, I'm just being narrow minded and reading only the first card college!
blessings,
Natalia (Little Miss Erdnase) Xxx
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Jean Hugard's 'Encyclopedia of Card Tricks' has entire chapters devoted to the use of double-back and double-front cards. To me, it's the best place to look for ideas.

My suggestion is to pick up a copy of the Hugard Encyclopedia (about $12 - you should own a copy, anyway) and a pack of the Bicycle 'assortment', which contains a half dozen or so of each of the first six types you mentioned. They run about $9 and most dealers stock them. If you like the effects you can work with those, pick up the CAJ deck, which for $20 includes about 45 different gaffes and a full instruction booklet for many effects. There are no better deals in gaffed cards, in my humble opinon, than these.

Good luck!
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
cajmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, California
235 Posts

Profile of cajmagic
Quote:
On 2006-05-25 14:31, sunnydolan wrote:
having the 52 on 1 on top, have them put their card in the middle and say "your cards on top", show the 52-on-1 card, and sure enough,

This is an early note (for July)

I did a 2nd run of caj decks - it now has 56 cards (there is a long story why it only had 45 before)

anyways - other than the plug...

I made a 51 on 1 card - it's missing the 7 of Diammonds. I like "oops" tricks - Imagine producing a 52 on one card and still being wrong.
Caj Brejtfus
CajMagic and the CAJ Deck of Magic Gaff Cards
:BIKES:
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
I'd get a double backed card just for Sankey's handling of the invisible deck on Front Row (Probably somewhere else aswell)
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
51-on-1! Great idea, CAJ! Doggone it, now I'm going to HAVE to buy a new CAJ deck! Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
cajmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, California
235 Posts

Profile of cajmagic
Quote:
On 2006-05-25 14:31, sunnydolan wrote:
The most popular effect with the 3 and a half of clubs is to force the seven of clubs, and tell the spectator that your not going to make their card appear, but only half their card. They think that's impossible, because they think there is no 3 1/2 club. But their wrong.

I do a slight difference

Put a eight and a Queen on top of your deck - Call it "City name here" Blackjack - do a sample - they get a card - You state "If mine is half yours I win, otherwise you win"

Here you have to use patter to explain or the "trick is missed

I suggest you say: If you get face card I will have a 5 - Face cards being worth 10, If you get an 8 I get a 4, if you get a 6 - I get a Three........... (and state the rest).

flip and show you loose

"Now for real" - they get a 7 you get 3 1/2

REPEAT THE ABOVE "If you get..." again

If you do this then they will 99% ask "What happens if I get a Nine or a Five (the people are tricky and will never state they got the 7 card).

When they ask - you state very clearly "WELL THEN - YOUR ODDS OF WINNING ARE VERY HIGH"

ask for the "BET"

"Oh - in "city name here" Black Jack the house always wins".....

NOTE ON CARDS

I use and give in my Caj Deck a 2 1/2 - Since the face cards are 10 - a multiple of 5 has more possible varieties.

The 3 1/2 was first designed for use with DICE - with 2 dice averaging 7 - this card is 1/2 the dice... This is also the original design of the 14 of spades (double the amount of 2 dice.

A little history
Caj Brejtfus
cajmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, California
235 Posts

Profile of cajmagic
Quote:
On 2006-05-25 14:12, Little Miss Erdnase wrote:

I saw Jeff Ebzell do this trick so am giving him credit here

You force 4 cards on different people - then you pick one card from the deck and state this card matches one of your cards - but it actually matches all 4

The MAGIC here is doing 4 different forces - WELL -

Jeff has this trick for sale - with many better variations - but I don't know were
Caj Brejtfus
Ricahato
View Profile
Regular user
denver
113 Posts

Profile of Ricahato
I use the 52 in 1 card as a way out (if I don't have the brainwave deck). if you miss their card. as for the double back with red and blue back I do a trick where their selection ends up being the only other color back but then it turns again into a regular color back. this works good because you can then spread the cards and they can't find the other back color.
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
I use the red/blue backed card for Tyler Corbins trick "Chamelon Backs". Its a really good packet trick, I highey reccomnd it.
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2006-05-25 14:12, Little Miss Erdnase wrote:
As you know I'm new to card magic, so please forgive the blaitant questions!
however how would I use them? ones I have seen are-

Double Blank Cards

Double Backed Cards
Blank Faced Cards

Blank Back Cards

Double Faced Cards (Different values on each side)

Double Faced Card (Same value on each side)

And now, the more special cards:

3-1/2 of Clubs Card

Tree of Diamonds Card

Court Cards with different values at each end

14 of Diamonds Card

Shattered 5 of Hearts Card (pips look broken!)

52 Cards on 1 Card

Card with normal face, but back is printed like 4 miniature cards

Are there others? and are some of these just for the novelty of collecting? like jokers?

thankyou kindly!
Natalia xxx

Like the Elmsley count, the uses of these cards are UNLIMITED! As you continue on the path, you will no doubt, as I have been, delighted over and over again as new uses for these are revealed.

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Gaff Cards? a wise investment? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL