We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kovari's Turbo Bunny vs. Run Wolf Run (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4617 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
RevLovejoy, the Healed & Sealed I'm talking about is the Soda can, where nature does all the work for you.
Phillip, RRR simply IS one of the best items for 3-5 year-olds. They love the "look no see" principle, they love stories, and they love the colourful props. I always include at least one effect where something "peeps out" in my shows. At the Zoo, Pet Shop, Wacky weasel, rabbit in dice, Lovey Duck, Run Rabbit Run, are all firm favourites. How do I know? I do hundreds of kids' shows every year, and I ask the kids what their favourite thing in the show was. These tricks are the ones most often chosen by this age group. Not to mention the fact that they scream their heads off during the effect. One of my absolute top items for this age group is "Five Little Ducks". Nearly every time I show it, at least one kid shouts: "Again!" Flito flower is also very popular. Why do the kids like these tricks so much? Because there is a story - however stupid - that they relate to. Whether it's a Wolf stealing eggs, Little Red Riding Hood and Grandma, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, a Naughty Weasel, a Mischievous Monkey, or a Slippery snake.
I'm curious, what effects would you recommend for the 3-5 age group, Phillip?
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Phillip, RRR simply IS one of the best items for 3-5 year-olds.

How do I know? I do hundreds of kids' shows every year, and I ask the kids what their favourite thing in the show was. These tricks are the ones most often chosen by this age group


Not to mention the fact that they scream their heads off during the effect.


HI,.
this just comes down to your opinion, they have no real choice but to pick the best of the effects that YOU PERFORM this might well be a favourite in YOUR SHOW . but it is of no real validity when it comes to "One of the best things for 3 -5 yrs old" If I where to use that as criteria for the best trick we would have a very different outcome as I do not perform any of the effects you have listed above.I personally do not rate shouting there heads off as any real indication of enjoyment I am not a huge fan of too much shouting in my act. some controlled shouting yes but not too much. as I said up to about 3 3/4 to 4yrs fine I agree the propy baby effects are fine as they do not understand the concept of magic much at all . personaly I don't mind them in the audience but I would not book a 3 yrs old party, unless it was a party with the majority of kids 4 or over. I would perform Rainbow house rabbit production I have a routine which runs about 6 -7 mins(+several more mins with the produced bunny) which includes magician in trouble, me getting hit several times,vanishing wand under a skarf, lots of colour, a child trying to catch the silks and one visualy dissapearing in mid air!, a visual colour change of four silks to white silks, the vanish of the four white silks, the house colouring the production of a rabbit then busines with the rabbit tossing a wand to the floor when I am not looking and other bussines which I prefer to keep to myself.
the effects in my act are effects which allow me to interact closely with my audience , use the helpers personality as an entertaining factor by bringing the kids out of themselves I am performing with the kids I tease them I push them about to an extent...... I play with them! But with a solid magic effect at the core of it all.
Phillip
RabbitsRevenge
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of RabbitsRevenge
Quote:
On 2006-06-06 18:22, p.b.jones wrote:
I personally do not rate shouting there heads off as any real indication of enjoyment I am not a huge fan of too much shouting in my act. some controlled shouting yes but not too much.


WOW!! I guess that just about sums it up. And you are a CHILDRENS ENTERTAINER??!!
Man...maybe you should find a new line of work.
RR
rogueclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Hollywood
320 Posts

Profile of rogueclown
Quote:
On 2006-06-06 18:22, p.b.jones wrote:
I personally do not rate shouting there heads off as any real indication of enjoyment I am not a huge fan of too much shouting in my act. some controlled shouting yes but not too much.


I do not understand. If a kid is SCREAMING during your show, I do not think it is because he/she is in pain. I know that when I perform...let's say...Run Wolf Run put out by Wolf's Magic...They are having fun, screaming, giggling, and smiling. I know for sure that smiling means that they are enjoying my show. I am brand new to this whole thing, all I do know is there are a lot of people in the Café that post truly great things and they share so much of themselves with everybody.
THEN, Some people post almost every single day, and they don't say much at all. If they do say something it just seems that it is Always negative and just straight out rude and pompous and full of themselves. That is my opinion. Could someone please email me page 39?
RC
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Get any group of small children, feed them sugar & leave them in a room with balloons & you will almost guarantee plenty of screaming & noise. Magic is not about screaming. It is about surprise, wonder, enchantment, amazement, fun & some excitement. Anyone can easily get a group of kids wound up & screaming, but a true pro will be able to have the kids contain their excitement in order that they appreciate all the surprise, wonder, enchantment, amazement, fun etc.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
We should rename this thread, "Attack of the Killer Bunnies!" Sounds like a Monty Python movie.

Dan.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Wow,
I have to say that you guys come from a strange land that I am not familiar with. I can understand if the screaming gets out of hand to a point where it is absolute MAYHEM...but otherwise I have always had the most satisfied clients/parents after seeing the reaction of the kids screaming,laughing and having FUN. And I mean SCREAMING at times. The parents always say the same thing "Wow, they had SO MUCH FUN!"
Andy, I agree that their should be an element of wonder and amazment but the kids would get bored just "oooing and awwing" for 40 minutes. A good mix is always best which seems obvious.
I just can't believe the things I am reading from "Children's Entertainers". I really think folks are losing touch with what it is about to be a kid. I performed for many years, for children, never read one book, never really thought it was that deep of an issue as I simply became one of them...and they loved me for it.
Have fun debating this one...I am going to go be silly, break the rules and scream and yell with my nephews! Their parents seem to love it as it as much as the kids do Smile
Take care
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2006-06-06 20:39, rogueclown wrote:

I know that when I perform...let's say...Run Wolf Run put out by Wolf's Magic...They are having fun, screaming, giggling, and smiling.


I thought you just got the trick and only had a chance to perform it for your mom and your niece?

LOL!

You guys kill me.
Image

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Chance and Rouge clown post some links to some video of these amazing love fests you are so fond of reminiscing about. I'd love to see if the video evidence lives up to the posts here. You guys must be two of the most amazing children's performers ever to hear you talk. I know I'd love to see it.

Best,

Dan-
Image

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
How about we all agree that we all are good at what we do, in our opinion and those of others and just enjoy doing shows the way we like to do them?
sheesh!
Chance

Back to the topic. Once again, I think Kovari's Turbo Bunny is an excellent item and I would use it every bit as much as my version. So go buy a KOVARI so we can stop the madness!!
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
rogueclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Hollywood
320 Posts

Profile of rogueclown
Quote:
On 2006-06-06 22:53, Danny Hustle wrote:
I thought you just got the trick and only had a chance to perform it for your mom and your niece?



Hey Danny,
I have performed it at 7 paid gigs so far and it was worth every penny. I am pretty sure that I posted that here or maybe it was in one of the 3 threads that are going on about Run Wolf Run. I found something that I really love and enjoy using. (Wolf's Magic)
Have you ever found something that excites you or are you just doing the same routine and not having fun. I love performing. I was on the road with Ringling Brothers for 2 years. ( as a clown, not the guy behind the elephant) This is what I do. AND I do it well. I have fun and make sure the kids and grown-ups are having fun too. SO, Run Wolf Run fits my character more than the Turbo bunny does.
Thanks. ( What Love Fest are YOU talking about...are you in the right forum?)
RC
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I agree with everything anyone has ever thought or said on this topic...oops, sorry that's my line if I'm kidnapped by Al Queda.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I am sorry if you consider those with a different opinion of things than yourself to be rude! I do actualy make a lot of positive posts too but people tend not to notice , I have also posted several routines ext in the past. I personaly do enjoy the debate too and I think it would be a boring forum if all that was on it was "Hail ......." the greatest most awesome effect ever. because everyone is to quiet to voice there honest opinion (I know of several people who no longer post because of the back lash they get from not particularly agreeing with others) I do try not to get personal even when people often do with me.


"WOW!! I guess that just about sums it up. And you are a CHILDRENS ENTERTAINER??!!
Man...maybe you should find a new line of work.
RR "

"THEN, Some people post almost every single day, and they don't say much at all. If they do say something it just seems that it is Always negative and just straight out rude and pompous and full of themselves."

" Even you may be able to appreciate the hard work that Wolf's Magic has put into their props....DO YOU have any of Wolf's Magic or you just like tearing peoples work apart? It sounds like you need a hug p.b.."

Anyway lets forget that


.........................
Chance wrote "I agree that their should be an element of wonder and amazment but the kids would get bored just "oooing and awwing" for 40 minutes. A good mix is always best which seems obvious. "


I thought that is basicaly what I said too, you just tried to flip it

"

I personally do not rate shouting there heads off as any real indication of enjoyment I am not a huge fan of too much shouting in my act. some controlled shouting yes but not too much."

I am saying that some shouting is an element of the show but not to much which is not really far off saying "A good mix is always best which seems obvious. "

My contention though is that shouting alone is no real indecation of enjoyment, laughter,gasps, attentivness to the show, the fact that you have control and can bring them up to shouting and back down to arpeciate the magical moments is more of an indication in my book
Phillip
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4617 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Phillip, by your own admission you wouldn't even accept a gig for 3-year olds. I do this regularly, and always have great success. So I think it’s a question of my experience or your theory. If effects such as “Run Rabbit Run” didn’t work, no one would be making them. Yet this theme has been repeated and repeated for decades. I have been performing “Lovey Duck” for many many years, and when I did my first kids’ parties aged 9, Lovey Duck was the favourite with this age group even then. Stories, especially ones that they're familiar with, are the winners. They also love big “machine” type props that they get to work themselves. For 4-year olds you can certainly include some stronger magic, see their eyes light up at a Miser's Dream routine. But what do they ADORE? Daft stories and colourful props. That you choose not to use any of the tricks I mentioned, which includes several “classics” of kids magic, makes me wonder where you’re coming from? As you don't even use any of these types of effects, how can you comment on them?
You only describe one trick that you perform, the Rainbow House. I know the “rabbit from the hat” is a big winner, but let's be honest, the rabbit is just a prop that guarantees oohs and aaahs. I prefer to use puppets, which actually the kids PREFER! Why? Because they can talk with and interact with a puppet, a rabbit is just a rabbit (and lots of PC parents these days don't want a show with livestock, people ask regularly about that).
I also wonder what happens when you have a young group that have never seen an entertainer before? These kids often don’t react as quickly or fully as kids who have experience of being entertained. But then, as you don’t work with younger kids, this maybe never happens to you?
As for those of you who think kids screaming is undesirable at a kids’ party, I really think you need to re-evaluate your performance. I aim to get a reaction from the kids several times every minute, whether that’s a laugh, scream, answer to a question, gasp, whatever. If your audiences are sitting there quietly through your performance, maybe they’re not enjoying it as much as you think. Controlled reactions, sure, but lots of them, and noisy too! With RWR, you can control exactly when and how long the kids scream and laugh. It’s this reaction that parents will largely use to gauge the success of your performance.
Put it like this, if you regularly get back from your gigs to find messages from other parents who saw you just minutes before, who want to book you for their child’s party, if parents will routinely move their kids’ party to a date weeks from the actual event, just to be sure you can be there, then you’re obviously doing something right. There are of course no absolutes.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
For the record yes I do get bookings as above, I will probably forever regret putting this here because I just know it will end up getting ripped off (performed by others with out my permission and maybe marketed (they will just come up with another method or guess at mine) anyway here is a strong routine that I perform no rabbit! But I am pretty sure you will see the entertainment value in as it has certain aspects of RRR or RWR but with some pretty decent magic. the little ones love it but so do the 12yr olds and the 112 year olds!

This is an very rough outline I am not giving method or patter here. (the perfomer is wearing a jacket.)

The magician shows a red silk in his right hand, his left hand is shown empty, holding his hands wide apart he explains that the red silk is going to vannish and reapear in his left hand, using just the right hand the silk is fed into his fist. the body makes a bit of a wiggle and to the amusement of the audience the silk is visibly seen to run accross the opening of the jacket (in front of shirt behgned jacket) the right hand is opened to show nothing the silk is now in the left hand, this can be repeated as often as desired the silk going left to right and then back. the audience think it is going up the sleeves and accross so you finaly pull up your sleeves and perform it once more , however it vannishes completely ... only to reapapear under a childs collar or in your mouth or where ever you fancy really!

Phillip
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2006-06-07 00:04, rogueclown wrote:
Hey Danny,
I love performing. I was on the road with Ringling Brothers for 2 years. ( as a clown, not the guy behind the elephant) This is what I do. AND I do it well. RC



I'd love to see some photos or video proof of this. Where is your website? The "love fest" I was talking about was how fantastic you say your show is. The reason you made the statement was to qualify your opinion about what a fantastic performer you are. It had nothing to do with Cance's props. I have always said he is an amazing craftsman and his props are second to none.

I have seen video of PB work and I know for a fact that he is a fantastic children's entertainer. He does not feel the need to go around telling anyone how great he is, his show speaks for itself. I do not always agree with his opinions (more often than not I do) but I know for a fact he is qualified to speak on the subject.

I have seen many of your posts talking about how great you are usually said to clarify a point and I thought that if your show was so amazing you would probably be proud to put up some video of photographs proving your qualifications as well as your statements. I look forward to seeing them. I have many friends who worked for RB what years were you with the show?

Best,

Dan-
Image

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Phillip,

That is a fantastic routine! Lots of opportunity for interaction with the audience as well as adding a lot of personality. Not to mention it sounds very magical!

Best,

Dan-
Image

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
I am out of here.It started out as fun...then...
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
Chance you are right it is starting to get a bit out of hand and off topic (partly my fault) though the posts on magic content are quite interesting I wonder if a modorator could move them to another topic?
phillip
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4617 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Phillip, I think your routine sounds great, I still don't see it affects the fact that RRR is a classic of kids' magic, though. I also wouldn't worry about getting your ideas ripped off so easily. If you shared your ideas plenty, as I try to do, you may find you become more creative, that's certainly how I see it.
Danny Hustle, what are you going on about? Do you really think RC can't put on a show that can get the kids going? He owns loads of Chance Wolf props, and I can promise you his show is almost certainly STONKING! If Wolf props weren't working for him, then he wouldn't have so many, and from his attitude and posts, I guess he's doing all that's required. What's the point of speculating that maybe his show isn't that great? We're here to share ideas, not for one-upmanship (or have I missed something?)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kovari's Turbo Bunny vs. Run Wolf Run (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL