The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best mentalism effects for a beginner? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
963 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
I've got tons of material (Corinda, Annemann, Osterlind MM 1-4, Banacheck PS 1-4, Spelmann 1-4 etc.) and now I'm going through the long process of screening and reading and studying to select the three effects I want to do for my first mentalism set. I call it a "set" rather than an "act" because I thought it would be best to start with three relatively simple effects that could be done in ten to fifteen minutes total. To get my feet wet I plan on doing this informally when the opportunity arises among family and friends. So I'm thinking of steering clear of tricks that require special props (like say, Bank Night.) although I'm not adverse to gaffed everyday objects, preshow preparation and so on.

Since I know some card tricks and I'm known for doing them I thought I might start with a card effect that can be "sold" as a mentalism effect. Perhaps something as simple as a force done as a prediction or mindreading. But I'm open to suggestions. (I also have the entire Ammar ETMCM and Malone OTL.)

So what do you consider the top effects that a beginning mentalist should consider learning and doing to get started?

Thanks...

(BTW, my girlfriend and I are working on the two person mindreading act described in Mulholland's Book of Magic. So we might start laying the groundwork among our friends by doing that. I want to have a follow-up set I can do on my own.)
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
Cristobal
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaga (Spain)
288 Posts

Profile of Cristobal
In the fourth DVD of Spelmann come a card trick that is wonderful (I don't remember the name now, I can look for it if you want). It's a location of a thinking card. From the DVDs of Spelmann you can get very good ideas. (Also, you can perform "Invisible Deck" using a mentalism presentation).

The metal bending DVD of Banachek is very good. And if you want high level mentalism, watch the picture duplication and "Q&A" act of Banachek that comes in PSI Serie.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
2nd the Invisible Deck
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Cristobal
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaga (Spain)
288 Posts

Profile of Cristobal
Well, I forget it! If you know Osterlind's deck, you can perform miracles. If I remember well, Osterlind have a very good multiple card adivination in one of his DVDs.
Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
Encyclopedia of Card Tricks has some nice material, among the routines I like are:

Just Think - the principle can be applied to more than just cards.

Perfect Card Divination - again, the principle can be applied to more than just cards.

Telepathic Selection & Mental Masterpiece - Easy to make impression devices using cards.

Do As I Do - A whole chapter devoted to this effect.

The Nikola Card System - a memorized stack deck.

You may also want to take a look at some simple Billet Work like a center tear and billet switches.

Take Care!
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Forget what we may be able to suggest.

What feels good to you?

Perform that. You'll do better.
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
963 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Doing what feels good to you is sound advice Alexandre. My purpose right now, however, is to get some help winnowing down the scores of effects I have access to in books, tapes and DVDs to some kind of "semifinalists" from which I will select those that best suit my style, interests and skills--in other words, those that feel good to me.

We live in an incredible time for a wouldbe mentalist. An "embarrassment of riches" is the right term, I think. The finest minds in the business have laid the jewels of their careers at our feet. I want to start out modestly but effectively and slowly expand my repertoire as my skills and experience grow, so that I might always do justice to the effects I perform. That will feel great.

And to Cristobal, I showed my girlfriend Osterlind's performance of two cards in the pocket and she was suitably stunned by it. I'm thinking of doing that (or perhaps the Radar Deck) as my closer. I'm working diligently on the BCS, the Zarrow and the Heinstein.

Normal guys have sex fantasies. I fantasize about the reactions I'll get from card calling!
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Hi,

I remember when I just started out doing mentalism.
I did several impromptu book tests and got excellent reactions.

I guess for beginner effects.
If you're a DVD person, Richard Osterlind's Easy To Master Mental Miracles 1-4 has lots of great effects.
Cristobal
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaga (Spain)
288 Posts

Profile of Cristobal
I think card mentalism is the perfect way to begin in mentalism. This way I learned presentation and to act (and what is what I wanted to do). Only you need to remember to handle the cards as less as possible Smile
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
There are some very very easy impromtu Card effects that you can use any bodys deck for. As I recal there are some in Corinda. There was one in there I loved and still do all the time.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
I have done this with up to 8 people. It is simple, impromptu and slays the lay audience.

Take a borrowed or fully shuffled deck and spread the deck in a big mish mash face down in the center of the table. Ask anyone at the table to use their intuition to pick a card you are thinking of. They take the card without looking and slide it over to you, who looks at it, and confirms the success of their choice. This goes on until each person at that table (or as many as you wish) have chosen a card. Then you say that you too will choose a card without seeing the faces, and you pick your card.

Now you have in front of you, a small packet containing all of cards chosen blindly by the specs. I do a "nervous overhand shuffle at this point, so the order of selection is lost to even the most acute observer. And one by one, you verbally confirm each card with the person who chose it, and toss that card onto the table in front of them. Each card, including the one you chose is proven to be correct.

Ifyou don't already know it, pm me. A lot of people don't don't like it because it is too simple,and they like more complicated effects. But I still have a lot fun with it.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I started performing mine a little different. I have been including 15-20 minutes of mentalism in my one hour magic shows. I'm learning the ones I will continue to keep up with is by the amount of applause I get from each mentalism effect. The top three are "Comedy Card Babies," "Mental Epic Board" and "Hoy Book Test." Another one that gets the most applause is levitating a dollar. I tell the audience it is mentalism.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2007-02-24 18:21, Dynamike wrote:
Another one that gets the most applause is levitating a dollar. I tell the audience it is mentalism.

Sorry to tell you this but your audience does not give a rats what it is "called". You could tell them that anything is mentalism would they really know? To me mentalism is a "magic" word. Most people have no use for it.

Oh and in my book. Floating anything is no where near mentalism. Smile
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
. . . trying to breathe . . .

Posted: Feb 24, 2007 9:50pm
Tell them it's "Dynamike-ism", please.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Unless I make it float.

Then we are talking an event of biblical porportions.

J ack

H.O.A-XXX
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Well, for it to qualify as an event of "biblical proportion", I think YOU would have to float, Jim. Smile

To G.O.D.!
Best,
j.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1737 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Mike where could I see you perform?
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2007-02-24 21:50, TT2 wrote:
Tell them it's "Dynamike-ism", please. Smile

Mike is a riot! Love that guy!
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
I believe that a mentalism performer must decide between doing "mental magic" (i.e., a magician who does some mentalism-related tricks) and doing "mentalism" (i.e., mental material that seems to be real). If you are doing mental magic, then use that Mental Epic contraption that you bought at the magic store. If you are doing mentalism, your props, if any, need to look like they came from the office supply store, etc. (and maybe they really did).

In my mentalist/mentalism mode, I use only common, ordinary props (or at least they seem to be ordinary), complete with a back-story of how I acquired this ability. My mentalist mode is not too far removed from my bizarrist magician mode, so it is not such a great stretch for me in that sense. (I am a bizarrist more along the lines of Christian Chelman or Andruzzi. I am not into what some call geek magic.)
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
I don't do Card Mentalism too often but when I do I fall back on "Stigmata" which is found on one of Banachek's PSI Series DVD and then there are all kinds of Mental Tricks w/ Cards by Jay Sankey. On his 22 blows to the Head, Firestarters and of course 'How to be Mental' w/ Jay San... I mean Boris Pocus. ':0} Great stuff. Some done very much on the spot.
Rob-ing you of your thoughts www.themindofrobert.weebly.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best mentalism effects for a beginner? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL