The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Double-Backed Deck Color Problem (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
Whenever I buy a deck of double-backers that match regular bicycle decks, whether blue or red, I have noticed that they are not a precise color match. The blue or the red is too pale and off tint.

I get my double-backers in Los Angeles.

Is there a magic dealer out there that sells these decks with a better color match for the regular bikes?

Dai Bato
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I encountered the same thing here.
There is a difference but as long as they are not seen right next to each other I think we're OK. Smile

All that should register in thier minds is red and red or blue and blue.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
I agre with Jaz, nevertheless...you'd think they'd use the same shade of red or blue every time, right? I don't think anyone will be able to come up with a better color match for your standard Bikes other than you...I think you're on your own with this one.

Good luck!

Kaylan
late night diner
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of late night diner
And I thought it was just me!

I heard recently that they print off gaffed cards at the end of a run and by that time, the colors tend to be lighter.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Just a few weeks ago I opened a sealed 12-year-old deck of Red Bicycles and compared it to a new one. I was appalled at the differences.

The lines on the backs of the new deck were much thicker and muddier, while the older backs were visibly sharper. The new deck was also a noticably darker red. On the faces, the court cards have blue hair on the new cards, while it is actually purple on the old ones! These are cards that have been stored sealed in the requisite 'cool, dry place', so I know it's not fading.

It just seems to me there would be more consistency. But, then, Bicycle isn't making cards primarily for magicians - we're a niche market for them. They're making cards for card players, who generally don't mix cards from different decks.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
It's the same old quality control problem at the USPCC. I was in the printing business for 25 years - it doesn't have to be this way. It's up to the press operator to quality check his work throughout the entire print run. I believe that the USPCC has one quality control person who spot checks the decks, but it's up to the printer to make sure that every run is consistent.

Robert
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Robert, That's why I noticed the problems - I was a magazine editor for a decade. We went to the printer and sat by the pressman to 'babysit' the job after being disappointed by a couple of runs. I would think it would get easier with something that is (a) their premier product, and (b) something they've been printing for decades.
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
This is an opportunity for a magic entrepreneur with deeper pockets than me to make perfectly matching double-backers and sell them to the magic community. There is an unmet need for this.

I wish I had the capital, but I don't.

Dai Bato
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Yeah, I agree. Maybe the press operators keep changing. In the end, it's the USPCC management's fault for not insuring that the quality remains consistent over the years. Of course, no one notices except magicians.

Robert
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
We notice because we're the only ones with double-backed decks in our possession!

Dai Bato
Mysterioii
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Mysterioii
You could make your own double-backers from regular bikes for a perfect match... check out "The Art of Card Splitting" DVD mentioned elsewhere on the board. I made a couple using the black-backed bikes that are floating around. Red/Black, Blue/Black... just thought they looked cool...
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
I'm talking about full decks of double-backers, not individual cards. Of course card splitting is there, but not for a full deck.

Any entrepreneurial printers out there willing to take the risk and help us magicians out?

Dai Bato
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Dai, I don't think you could get Bicycle's permission to have another printer print their card backs. Besides, I think you'd still run into problems matching different print runs from Bicycle. In other words, if you match the decks you have now, in six months the decks you buy won't match your double-backs anymore. I think this is just an ugly fact of life we'll have to live with, until and unless they get management in at USPCC who gives a c**p about quality printing.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Dai - Try buying a DB deck from another dealer and see if it matches. Maybe you just got a bad one.

Robert
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
Airship and Robert M:

I hear what you're saying, but the color of the double-backers is off any bike back I've ever seen. They're not blue and red; they're light blue and reddish brown.

In other words, they don't match any run of bikes that I've ever seen. I think that this may even be on purpose.

Anyway, if anyone has a contact at USPCC, they should at least get them to print the double-backers just in the rough ballpark of red and blue. I'm not asking for exact matches, just print them like some run of bike backs.

Dai Bato
danielrmk
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of danielrmk
Why not just build your own DB?
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2006-05-31 03:00, DaiBato wrote:
Airship and Robert M:

I hear what you're saying, but the color of the double-backers is off any bike back I've ever seen. They're not blue and red; they're light blue and reddish brown.

In other words, they don't match any run of bikes that I've ever seen. I think that this may even be on purpose.

Anyway, if anyone has a contact at USPCC, they should at least get them to print the double-backers just in the rough ballpark of red and blue. I'm not asking for exact matches, just print them like some run of bike backs.

Dai Bato

Hmm... that's pretty strange. Never heard of such a thing. Where did you buy it?

Robert
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Really. I mean, mine are bad from a printing perspective, but I doubt any but the pickiest spectator would pick up on it.
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
Maybe you are right about the spectator not noticing; the colors of the double-backers just seem very off to me.

Dai Bato
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I have noticed the slight colour difference with blank cards for Virginia City Shuffle compared to the ace of diamonds I use.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Double-Backed Deck Color Problem (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL