The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Dice Magicians.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Paradic Arsonist
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Paradic Arsonist
Hey, I'm interested in starting dice magic but have no idea where to start. Does anyone know any websites/magicians/anything on dice magic? All help is much appreciated Smile

-Andy
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
170 Posts

Profile of DonB!
Check out all the references here at the Café regarding the Sach's Dice Routine.

Also look into anything by Martin Gardner or Walter B. Gibson. Both of them wrote a lot about dice in almost all of their materials.

Good luck in your search.

DonB!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Here are a list of some videos on dice and routines"

1. Doctor Sacks on dice by James Lewis
2. Draun on Dice by Steve Draun
3. The Ivory Connection by Steve Dobson and Reed McClintock
4 It's The Rules by Bob Sheets

I found it is easier to learn dice routines from videos than to get off a page.

If you want to learn Dr Sacks' dice routine, Bruce Elliott in his book, Classic Secrets of Magic, presents this effect.

Hope this helps.
-vinny-
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
femur
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
175 Posts

Profile of femur
Don't forget dice stacking!

Check Books / videos by Jim Zachary. On the Encore Collection (Stevens Magic), there's also a dice-stacking routine by Mike Rogers.
"I can't really think of a good quote to put here"
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
I have a routine called Miller's Dice. It was shown to me by Charlie Miller. Contact me directly if you would like more information.

Thanks,

Paul
JasonDean
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of JasonDean
I would go with the Bob Sheets routine, "It's the Rules." I think it's a little easier than any of the Sacks' routines--Jason Dean--
CSStanton
View Profile
Loyal user
Suttons Bay, MI
228 Posts

Profile of CSStanton
I performed 'It's the Rules' tonite at dinner. Always get a great response. That'd be my opinion on the best.
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Charlie Frye's "Eccentricks" has a whole dice routine: stacking, juggling, and even a vanish. It has a very deceptive dice matrix as well. Also check out Cloutier's Expert Sleeving and Topiting tapes. They have some good ideas that can be applied to dice (or a die).
Hope this helps.

Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Couple more Dice references:

Marlo's "Shoot the Works" is a great book on Stacking, Magic, Routines, and Gambling w/ Dice.

Milt Kort's book, put out by Minch has some good stuff.

David Regal in Close-up and Personal has one nice quick effect which can stand alone, or can be added to the ending of Sach's routine.

Dice Dots by Daryl is a nice effect as well, which works very nice combined with Regal's above mentioned effect.

And lastly, Martin Lewis on one of videos (just recently put out on DVD) as a effect called Dice Propagation. Nice dice cup routine.
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Having met and seen Bob do "it's the rules" live for a real lay audience i can say without a doubt that it is a great routine. It is a well thought out, fairly simple (no complex moves, in fact no intermediate moves either) and use's no gimmicks. In addition the routine follows a very straightfoward script idea that any performer can use. the video is well worth the price.

Mat
DonB
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DonB
Carl Andrews has a dice routine on his No Jacket Required video. I believe he states that it's a shortened version of the Sachs routine. The video also has some other excellent close-up. There really aren't any throw-aways on this tape. An excellent investment!

DonB.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
1) Sacks Dice Routine (Bruce Elliot book)
2) Vernon Dice Climax (Vernon Book of Magic)
3) Charlie Miller routines for 2 in hand 1 in pocket (Magicana)
4) Audley Walsh Dice Tricks Pamphlet
5) Marlo - Shoot the Works
6) Senator Crandall - Dice stacking
7) Jim Zee material on stacking

How about a Matrix with dice (Stars of Magic, Bey's routine, for instance).

There are lots of commercial effects for sale in the magic shops or at least there used to be:
1) Spots appear and disappear visually on a single black die (Lublr Fiedler if I remember correctly)
2) a bunch of dice are stacked and they revolve with no apparent mechanism (Dancing Dice, Spooky Dice)
3) Irv Wiener - Soft Dice routine
4) Heath's Die-cyphering
5) Audley Walsh's "Crooked Dice"

Also effects by RW Hull, a Tannen effect with the dice penetrating a sealed glass jar, a prediction effect, a mindreading effect like color vision, miniature die box, color changing dice, linking dice(!), etc.

There are tons of individual things in magazines (Pallbearers had several great things!) and books that are not exclusively on dice - I have culled many of these for my files - this is just off the top of my head. I have a whole other file of dice effects and a couple boxes of dice tricks, but not here in my office! I can list some other things if you are interested - post or PM me and I'll do the research if you are really interested...

Best PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I just picked up "The Ivory Connection" video which was recommended to me by a friend. I was doing it comfortably within a matter of an hour or so after watching the video a couple of times. It's a great little trick to perform that packs small and plays big. The routine also has a fantastic climactical ending. Comes highly recommended.
JamesD
View Profile
New user
Lexington KY
70 Posts

Profile of JamesD
There are some nice dice tricks (one attributed to Tenkai) in a compilation book of the Swami / Mantra newsletters from the 70's that is currently available - check with your local dealer.

The Tenkai effect involves showing the top and bottom of 3 dice to be the same. Very nice effect.
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
I have to add my vote for "It's the Rules" By Bob sheets.

Packs small/Plays big. Relatively simple moves, can be performed with larger Dice for more people, (I use 1" dice for up to 15 People at a time) but of course smaller ones work as well, and I always have a pair of dice in the ticket pocket of my Jeans.

Having said it's simple moves, The routine MUST be properly learned, particularly how to position the dice, and the Changes of position for the different phases. But that applies to every routine anyway.

At the Start of the Tape, Bob says that this will probably become your most performed effect. It certainly has with me.

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I'm working on a three phase dice routine which will begin with Bob Sheets' "It's The Rules" which, by the way, is probably the best and most entertaining dice routine I've ever seen! Anyone know if there are plans for a DVD for craps sake (pun intended)!?

After this I will be going into a dice stacking routine with a leather dice stacking/chop cup from http://www.theambitiouscard.com

then finally ending with a chop cup routine with a double matching jumbo die production!
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
314 Posts

Profile of A.J.
Carl Andrews' routine called "Pair O' Dice" is an excellent shortened-version of the Sacks dice routine with a nice kicker ending. Highly recommended. Bob Sheets' routine is also a fantastic.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Bob Read stacks Ice Cubes. Read the current Genii.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
For the dice amateurs, take a look on the (out of print, I think) "Scarne On Dice." You'll find some history on dice, and a lot of cheating with dice: from gambling strategies, different ways of crooking dice, and crooked moves (switches, fake throws...). It's a big book, kind of the encyclopedia of cheating with dice.

Another source on dice not yet mentioned (I think) is "Eddie Fechter's Dice Holdout Methods for Magician," written by Jerry Mentzer.

Jonathan.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Another source I forgot to mention is Steve Forte's Gambling Protection Series vol 4: techniques used to expose the cheater's use of 1 crooked dice and how to detect them.

2 dice switches
3 controlled dice shots
4 cheating with dice cups
5 specialized moves for craps and backgammon
and much more
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Dice Magicians.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL