The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Copperfield Faints during show! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
David Copperfield fainted tonight during his live show. He has been rushed to the hospital. We all hope that he will be ok.
Believe In Magic....I do!
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
As I only live two hours away from Deadmonton, this was in my newspaper this morning and I thought it might be of interest to you all:

Exhausted magician hospitalized
Copperfield COLLAPSES

Steve Makris and Allan Chambers, Journal Staff Writers -The Edmonton Journal

Monday, December 09, 2002

Internationally renowned magician David Copperfield was taken by ambulance to University Hospital on Sunday after he collapsed from exhaustion midway through a packed performance at Jubilee Auditorium.

He was released late Sunday after undergoing tests.

Copperfield was on stage with two audience volunteers and crew assistants, halfway into the 90-minute non-stop performance when he said he wasn't feeling well, and walked off.

After 45 minutes of giant screen video replays of Copperfield's past famous illusions and a 10-minute intermission, a member of the stage crew announced the performance was cancelled.

Amid audience shouts of "how is he?" and "do we get a refund?" he said the famous illusionist had been taken to hospital.

Crew members who refused to be identified said Copperfield slumped over a chair backstage but sat upright as he was being wheeled on a stretcher to a waiting ambulance.

"He is always working hard, he rehearses between shows, even today," one crew member said.

Copperfield showed no early warning signs of ill-health during the sold-out 4:30 p.m. show, often walking the aisles to take volunteers on stage to help with his illusions.

This was Copperfield's second show on Sunday, the sixth of a seven-show, three-day run with one more scheduled performance for 8 p.m. Sunday. That show was also cancelled.

Producers of Copperfield's show blamed exhaustion and a hectic touring schedule that includes 500 dates a year.

"It's a pretty demanding tour physically," said Chris Kenner, the show's executive producer. "And he was up until 4:30 last night rehearsing a new trick.

"He's just exhausted."

Kenner said tickets were being refunded for both Sunday shows. Staff at the Jubilee Auditorium said about 2,500 tickets had been sold for each show at prices ranging from $55 to $75.

Theatre staff fanned out and delivered news of the cancellation of the 8 p.m. show to ticket-holders as they arrived.

"It's very disappointing," said Sandy Helliker, who had tickets for herself and her children, Nicholas and Mallory.

"We've watched him on TV before. My kids were really looking forward to it."

James Goddard, 16, arrived for the evening show with his friend, Tim Arch, who had just flown in from Melbourne, Australia, for a visit. "We thought it would be neat, but I guess we don't get to see him," Goddard said. "He's disappeared himself," Arch said.

Tour manager Chris Danner said it was unusual for Copperfield to cancel a show. "He goes on with laryngitis and everything else if he has to."

Assuming doctors give the OK, there are two shows today in Saskatoon, followed by two in Regina and a windup show in Vancouver -- before the crew heads to Las Vegas for shows during Christmas week.

Kenner, the executive producer, said Copperfield sounded "very tired" before he was taken to hospital. Kenner said the tour was essentially in the dark Sunday night while Copperfield waited for results of blood tests.

Jubilee facilities manager Katherine Huising told ticket holders Copperfield is eager to return to Edmonton, but won't be back for at least a year. Ticket holders were told that tickets bought by phone or on the Internet would be automatically refunded. People who bought tickets from outlets should return the tickets to those outlets.

smakris@thejournal.southam.ca

achambers@thejournal.southam.ca
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I'm glad I got to see DC Friday night in Edmonton but feel bad that he collapsed on Sunday. Wishing DC a quick recovery.
His show was excellent and I am looking forward to seeing DC again the next time he comes to Alberta. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
From a member of David's Crew:

Just an update. After extensive testing, we can confirm that David is in great health, he just needs to get more rest. He's doing good, been sleeping and eating lots of soup. We will be resuming shows today in Saskatoon.

David did not collapse... he walked himself offstage and sat down because he wasn't feeling well. This is the first time this has happened other that the collapse during Tornado of Fire rehearsals where he was in and out of a 2000 degree blast of fire (I don't think this really applies- that would have happened to anyone.)
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Glad to hear DC is better and is ready to perform again. Great show David and looking forward to seeing you again the next time you come up north. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
David has began performing again, and everyone that has commented says he looks well rested, and is really having a good time while on stage! Looks like a nice long nap was all it took! Smile
smittymagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of smittymagic
If your interestd in a copy of the newspaper article email me privately. I saw the show and it's fantastic. So worth the money..Three out of four of us got to go on stage. My wife is still freaked out over the appearance of a car. I disappeared from the stage with 13 others and reappeared in the back of the auditorium. It was spectacular. We then went back stage to sign secrecy agreements with him. Smile
Mina
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto Canada
101 Posts

Profile of Mina
I'm glad to hear that David Copperfield is doing well!!! He was the one who made me fall in love with magic...I can't wait till he rolls into Toronto and like I'm always first in line for tickets:D
Smile Heres to go health
Mina
OMG Did someone say Richard Sanders!?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Copperfield Faints during show! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL