The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Canadian Association of Magicians! » » Moving the CAM Convention (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Hey Pat,

Try contacting Joan Caesar
e-mail: jcaesar@sentex.ca

All the best,

John
JonParis
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of JonParis
Quote:
On 2006-08-07 03:12, kuffs wrote:
Hi,

I will like to contribute to the new Cam magazine in a way or another...

Hi Pat, if you mean the e-zine you can write me at CAM.newsletter at Partner400.com or you can write Joan at the address in the previous post.

Jon Paris
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
Kronos9326
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
229 Posts

Profile of Kronos9326
Another reason that it's held where it is, is simply because of price.

Kitchener isn't really a convention town, but it's close enough to Toronto that the people who fly in can get to it easily. Moving the convention to Toronto or any other metropolitan area would surely drive the price up. I remember her saying that the convention couldn't afford toronto, not with the number of people that register.

I say leave it as is. When the time comes, (and it clearly isn't now) and CAM outgrows Kitchener, then talk about it.

David.
dgcuff
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
191 Posts

Profile of dgcuff
Quote:
On 2006-10-06 17:45, Kronos9326 wrote:
I say leave it as is. When the time comes, (and it clearly isn't now) and CAM outgrows Kitchener, then talk about it.

:applause:
I formerly ran a site of links to help Canadian magicians, magicinfo.ca, but I retired it in 2022.
Artemus
View Profile
New user
Brampton, Ontario
5 Posts

Profile of Artemus
I think the problem stems from the organizational structure of CAM. It seems to be a "One-headed Hydra". Perhaps some enterprising Magicians across our fine country could create initially "Provincial" then "Local" chapters or associations or if you will "Lodges" (ala Beavers. Then, once the Provincial/Local Lodges build up membership thus creating the proper infrastucture they can then host the national convention. Eventually even bid for the right to hold the convention. First, however, Ms. Caesar and her cadre of friends should establish guidlines for the creation of said "Lodges" and encourage their creation. Given that she has been deeply involved with the IBM for such a long time, I am truly supprised that she has made no move to follow their(IBM's) very successful model. After all they are the most significant "Magicians Association" in the world. It would mean that a national executive board would have to be elected(NOT selected by one person)An Organizational Structure would have to be set up WITH Articles and Rules etc. Only then will CAM become THE truly CANADIAN representative organization. This is not intended to undermine Joan's Herculeans efforts of the past. However if this "Club" truly wishes to grow beyond it's infancy into a National Organization then the IBM model is as good as any to follow.
"Anything a mind can conceive and believe, can be read with a center tear!"
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
How about hosting it in the center of the country, where everyone should have *some* ease of actually getting to it? And, acknowledging the effort put in by those who set it up and run it, why not make it a touring event, with different city's each year? So no one(!) feels left out, and we can all experience the wide variety of pleasures found in our wonderful country...ok, I'll shut up now...

Lee
Alniner
View Profile
Loyal user
Burlington, ON, Canada
254 Posts

Profile of Alniner
Could we not just keep this convention where it is. It's great. It's every 2 years so you have lots of time to get excited about it. Let's not change it.

Instead could we perhaps not have someone else who's willing to work as hard as Joan and maybe work with her to organize a convention to fall on the odd year off and host that maybe out west?
Skål

--
Alan
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2006-11-10 11:23, Alniner wrote:

Instead could we perhaps not have someone else who's willing to work as hard as Joan and maybe work with her to organize a convention to fall on the odd year off and host that maybe out west?

There is already the annual PCAM meeting on the west coast:

http://www.pcam2007.com/index.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2006-06-11 10:49, Cory Gallupe wrote:
Niagra Falls is beautiful. There is sooooooo much to do there.
Toronto is good too.
If I were to vote. I would pick one of the following:
Calgary
Montreal
Toronto
Niagra Falls. (And like someone else said, they have the theatre that Greg Freewin plays in to host it.)

And like Ben said, Halifax is cool. I wouldnt mind not having to pay soo much for travel, but I live here, so it would be kinda boring...

That would be the Greg Frewin Theater.

I would love for it tobe in Niagara as I am near there, however, Kitchener is not too far and I am fine with it there as I used to live there and still have friends etc to visit.

What is all this complaining about CAM viewing Toronto as the center of everything???
The convention has been in KITCHENER the past two times and will be (I believe, and hope) again this year.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Roger Boucher
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Roger Boucher
I had a whole post written out about cost comming from west going east. But I realize that allthough it would be nice to alternate east/west every couple conventions it just wouldn't really work. Someone out west would have to take charge and know what they are doing with leadership from Joan. So I guess untill someone is willing to step up to the plate then it has to be the way it is.

Roger Boucher
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
Kronos said it right.

Keep it where it is and when it requires a new venue due to size, cost or attendance, then move it.

Plus, if it is in Kitchener, I can go to my first CAM.
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
vanishingrabbit
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of vanishingrabbit
I would also like to see it out in Calgary and help out with it. I was the first to meet with the board of directors of the PCAM to bring that convention back to Calgary in 2007 but it got given to another applicant, by my understanding, by mistake, and have not been asked to help out with it to date. I would be very eager to tackle another convention. Put me on the list of people interested in hosting it. Why not start it moving West, with each Bi year, moving it closer to us. We are nice people eh!
Magically yours,
Brent Smith
TheCaffeinator
View Profile
Regular user
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
126 Posts

Profile of TheCaffeinator
Hey...how 'bout Regina or Saskatoon?

Let's buck the trend of skipping over the middle of the country. Wouldn't it be easier to meet halfway than to have to go to one end or the other?

;)
TheCaffeinator
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-08-26 11:32, Irishghost wrote:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Arguably, it's "broke" for anyone who isn't in a position to travel across the country conveniently.

Not to raise a stink or anything, but is it "CAM" or "OAM"?
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-02-21 12:27, TheCaffeinator wrote:
Arguably, it's "broke" for anyone who isn't in a position to travel across the country conveniently.

Well... since Ontario has almost 12 times the population of Saskatchewan ( and is the most populated province in Canada ) ... mathematically it only makes sense to host it in Ontario. If it were held in Saskatchewan there would be many more people not in a position to travel across the country resulting in a much lower attendance.

Best,

Tim
TheCaffeinator
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-02-21 12:54, Timothy Drake wrote:
Quote:

Well... since Ontario has almost 12 times the population of Saskatchewan ( and is the most populated province in Canada ) ... mathematically it only makes sense to host it in Ontario. If it were held in Saskatchewan there would be many more people not in a position to travel across the country resulting in a much lower attendance.

Best,

Tim

...which is fine as long as we're catering to Ontarians. So...the association is for Canadian magicians, but the convention is for the ones in Ontario. I get it.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Quote:
On 2007-02-19 01:46, vanishingrabbit wrote:
I would also like to see it out in Calgary and help out with it. I was the first to meet with the board of directors of the PCAM to bring that convention back to Calgary in 2007 but it got given to another applicant, by my understanding, by mistake, and have not been asked to help out with it to date. I would be very eager to tackle another convention. Put me on the list of people interested in hosting it. Why not start it moving West, with each Bi year, moving it closer to us. We are nice people eh!

Brent,

That's a great idea! Count me in as part of the team. If you need any help at all, I'm just a phone call away. Alberta really is becoming an extremely vibrant Province for magic and I'm sure we could showcase that enthusiasm by hosting the CAM in true Alberta style!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Altought Timothy Drake is right about the total populaton size, we have to realize that total population is not the target market for a magic convention. I believe the true test should be magicians per capita. Then you would really be comparing apples to apples and every province would have an equal opportunity to play host.

Let's face it. A magic convention can be a huge boost to the morale of any magic community. By moving the conventon around, it can create a positive motivating force across the nation. At the end of the day, isn't that what a magic convention is all about?

Just my 2 bits

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-02-21 14:23, TheCaffeinator wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-02-21 12:54, Timothy Drake wrote:
Quote:

Best,

Tim

...which is fine as long as we're catering to Ontarians. So...the association is for Canadian magicians, but the convention is for the ones in Ontario. I get it.

Caffeinator,

Maybe you should read that again. I said that Ontario has the largest population in CANADA. That means that the largest number of (Canadians ) CAM members most likely live in Ontario. If you want to attract the largest number of members to a convention it needs to be near the most members. Location, Location, Location.

I noticed on your website that you busk. Why don't you go busk way up in the farest northern parts of Canada. Some small towns up there are so isolated they don't have any festivals or entertainment. Why not take this opportunity to set up and busk in a town with a total population of 100 people? The answer is that it would not be practical for you because there is simply not enough people to finance your trip. The same thing goes for CAM. A certain level of attendance is required to break even and that attendance would surely be in jeapordy if you moved the convention away from a dense population to a sparcer one. If you really think a convention will work in your area finance and organize one yourself ( like Joan does ) and I promise to attend it. ( no kidding ) that's one registration confirmed ... but will you get enough registrations to pay your convention bills?

If you want to attend CAM you will have to travel to it just like I ( and all the other Ontarians ) have to travel to ANY other convention hosted anywhere else in Canada or the US.

Best,

Tim

P.S. Buy a *** plane ticket to CAM and dinner is on me. Meet some of us Ontarians ... we're not so bad. LOL
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Canadian Association of Magicians! » » Moving the CAM Convention (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL