The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What do you use to get mem decks back to the one card on top? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 18:49, kerpa wrote:
On a slightly related subject - anyone ever mark the backs with the stack number?
kerpa
a/k/a Michael Miller
Chicago area

Yes I've done this. I used a ***ised version of the Lesley marking system. It was good in that I always knew what card they had taken, and when in stack order I didn't need to use a glimpse to know where I was. I even played friendly card games with the deck just to see how invisible the marks were. I didn't actually cheat though. I'm not good enough at card game to do that.

Also, on the faro topic, even corner sh**ts won't adveresly affect the faro provided you put them in the correct corner. Which one that is depends on how you faro.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Lefty referred to the "Loomis" scallop card. In fact, it should probably be called the "Vernon" scallop short. You'll find it pictured on page 111 of Vernon's Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic.

You can put "punch" work into a deck with just your thumb nail. Glenn Bishop who is a member of this forum has out an excellent DVD on a lot of uses for punch work. If you're into this, you should get his DVD.

As far as where to put your punch work, this depends on the size and shape of your hands, how you hold the deck, and what you will be doing as you read the punches. Experiment with some old cards. The punches can be put in from either side and you need to determine if you prefer reading the cards from the faces or from the backs. For the Eyeless in Gaza Routine of Stephen Minch, the main locator card has punches in a variety of places. If you know this, consider putting the punch work into this card from both the face and back, as you will need to read this card while dealing face up and also face down.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
A couple of people mention using the 52nd card a the locator. If you're using a scallop card, then how do you find it without turning the deck face-up? If you just riffle as per usual, surely you will end up with the locator on top of the deck.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Yes, Michel, the locator card is card number one in the Aronson Stack and ends up on top of the deck. The scallop is quite fine and there's nothing to see unless you know what you're looking for. For Eyeless in Gaza I am experimenting with a scallop in the side of the deck (in addition to the short ends( in various locations so that with the deck held in dealing position in the left hand I can riffle down from the top of the deck and cut the locator card to the bottom. For that routine, it's helpful to be able to cut the locator to both top and bottom. Of course, you can always cut it to the top and then double undercut it to the bottom.

You may prefer to scallop the bottom card in your stack so that you cut it to the bottom. Whatever works for you.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Yes, Michel, the locator card is card number one in the Aronson Stack and ends up on top of the deck. The scallop is quite fine and there's nothing to see unless you know what you're looking for. For Eyeless in Gaza I am experimenting with a scallop in the side of the deck (in addition to the short ends( in various locations so that with the deck held in dealing position in the left hand I can riffle down from the top of the deck and cut the locator card to the bottom. For that routine, it's helpful to be able to cut the locator to both top and bottom. Of course, you can always cut it to the top and then double undercut it to the bottom.

You may prefer to scallop the bottom card in your stack so that you cut it to the bottom. Whatever works for you.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
619 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
I use the Breather ... and if you use a Breather, check out Pit Hartling's great effect called Flicker ...
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1009 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I pull down the corner of the bottom card with my pinky. And then if I need to get back in 1-52 order I am just a charlier cut away. A good refrence for this is Bill Malone doing his "Sam the Bellhop," there are so many good false shuffles and card control ideas in his teaching of this routine. I have done the shortened corner. I use this more in more rigged deck. At Staples you can find a corner rounder punch for doing scrapbooks that workd perfectly.
Belief Manifests Reality.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014859756312
Palm Star Zodiac Divination System: https://palmstarzodiac.blogspot.com/
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I've always used breathers, a breather on card #1 and a reverse breather on card #52 as insurance, plus my memorized deck is marked so with a glance I can verify that card #1 is on top.
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
I spread through face up, and cut the deck at the point. Why do anything complicated to do acomplish something so simple. I've tried crimps before and they work but only up to a certain point and then it wears out or the card is creased. I cut directly to it.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5737 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use a ProControl card. There's a book written about it by Gary Ouellet. I can easily sense it by touch, yet spectators don't notice it when they handle the deck - doesn't seem possible, but that's the case.
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
A little off topic but some people mentioned marked cards along with a knowen stack. I know some people will think that maybe this is obvious, even if the marks aren't that well hidden, but let me share a small story. I was practicing the Tamarez stack one day at the bus stop and 20 highschool kids found out I did magic and asked me to perform. All I had on me was my deck that I had drawn all over. When somebody asked why they had markings all over them (they only noticed the front, although the backs were marked too with the stack position) one other girl said "He must have lost his coloring book". Which was perfect and made for a bit of a joke. Later on another kid was present who wasn't before and asked why they were marked and I said "I lost my coloring book" and he took that as a valid explanation.

So I doubt your small pencil marks are going to be seen, or cared about. Smile
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1485 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Regarding the scallop, You can have two key-cards: one trimmed in the short ends, one trimmed in the long edges. Two locators in one single deck. That is Joshua Jay's way to set his mem-deck up.
uri
View Profile
New user
Israel
95 Posts

Profile of uri
You know, I never thought of using this, but the cards got so used to their positions that if I give my deck a charlier cut it will set everything back in order...
Plus, the top card's back design got a little blurry where my left thumb contacts it, so I have a marked card as well...
But I tend to use the same deck for a looooong time, so I'm not sure how practical this is, but I found it amusing...
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Sorry for being a bit ignorant but:
Is the purpose of the exercise to get your number one mem card to the top of the deck? Why all the trouble?
Surely you can just glimpse the bottom card and work it out?
The 2 effects that I use the deck for, I let them cut the deck and work from there
I am rather puzzled because I have memdeck and I am also always looking for more
info. My deck is a journey/memory one. So I know that 28 is AH and vice versa.
If the 2H is on the bottom then AH is 14th card from the top
Perhaps the above work is necessary for other stacks?
:)
churken
View Profile
Regular user
California
199 Posts

Profile of churken
I too use a corner short. Actually I use two. I have corner shorted #52 almost since I started using a memdeck, and after seeing Joshua Jay's lecture, I started corner shorting #27. The two shorts in conjunction make estimation a lot easier. At least for me.

Paul
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To Teejay,
Well, yes, you can always "work it out." But some effects require that you begin in "home" position and it's very handy to be able to just cut the deck without any glimpse and to be there.

In fact, I would warn those that do routines with a mem-deck that it's not wise to always cut the deck back to home position. The spectators should not see the same bottom card (#52) on the face of the deck repeatedly as it's a giveaway that something is not right. On my web site, I give the details of how I move around in the mem-deck to get to where I need to be using the Hay mow shuffle. For example, to do my Prediction a la Kruskal, you need to start with the 5D on the bottom of the deck. (In Aronson Stack, it's the 27th card.) This is easily done in two ways: my "Hay Mow" technique, or just cutting the deck from home position a la a Faro initial cut, and then moving one card from the bottom half to the top.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3861 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I think it's a matter of taste... I prefer to use only a regular deck as I often give the deck away (as an gift), one strategy to destroy any thoughts of marked cards or similar ideas which are occuring so often doing MD routines. If you can estimate well I would always suggest to cut and glimpse only. There are many routines in which it's not crucial to have the bottom 5 or 6 cards in order. In such cases I cut these (approximately) amount of cards from the bottom to the top and reshuffle them back to the bottom using an overhand shuffle. As the cards are getting reversed in this process you have the effect of different cards at the bottom. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
TerrorInt
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TerrorInt
The weirdest way I ever did it was to fan the deck to show they are not in any order, which was a guise to find the first card. Then in closing the fan, keeping a break and then doing a turn-over pass to reassemble the deck with the correct card first.

It sounds a little indirect, but it works really well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What do you use to get mem decks back to the one card on top? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL