The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel is stoogerific! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
giochi
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of giochi
This was pretty bad. Stooges and cuts seem to have been a part of EVEry SINGLE TRICK. I love the title of this thread.

I felt as if I was watching a video special effects show-not magic. The motorcycle vanish was the worst example of the magic of cutting the film at the right time.

However my favorite part was when he did the dekolta chair vanish and then walked away from the chair with a healthy swagger saying:
"that's what Im talking about!"
-what a poser
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2006-06-01 07:30, magic4u02 wrote:

The spectators camera is a great idea in my mind. If anyone watching was thinking camera tricks, then this simple use of a spectator camera is a fun and realistic way of letting viewers at home realize that what they are seeing would be the same if they were actually there as well. It is much clever then just saying no camera tricks were used.

I felt this series is much better then the last and that the new network switch allowed criss to be able to get back more to the magic with less stunt related effects. I enjoyed it and I know a lot of lay audience friends simply were very impressed by the program.

Kyle

Wouldn't just about any viewer realize that the producers wouldn't use any footage taped by the spectator cam that revealed the method? Maybe I'm giving the show's target audience too much credit. And in real life wouldn't just about any camera person (professional or amatuer) pan up above a floating man to show nothing supporting him? Surely any viewer would wonder why no such footage was used in the final edit. Again, too much credit?

I don't think Mindfreak has switched networks. I believe it was on A&E last year too.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Personally I enjoyed the presentation of the illusions, not crazy about the "rock star" image but it works

and for everyone complaining or knocking the performance ... um where are you working this week and when does your TV show air ;-)
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Whether or not there are stooges is not something I could possibly know or address, but only guess.

However, to the example of the girl with the CA hoodie and homemade blanket, it made total sense to me. To be shown on TV you have to sign a release. If you're under 18, your parents have to sign it. Those students knew before that day that they would be meeting up with Criss Angel in a park for a TV thing. So this girl who was a big fan knew to prepare for that. Why is that a big deal? He never said "here are some people who had no idea they would be seeing me." In fact, if memory serves, he made an offhand comment that referenced the fact that they had agreed to help out, not stating a timeline.

The question is not whether they knew ahead of time that they would be on the show.
The question is that of stoogery, which is another matter.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
I believe last night Angel took levatiations and vanishes to a new level

Stooges or whatever don't matter as much as the end result, what was presented was very good

and to read it wasn't all that because of this or that is just off the mark and at first read reeks of jealousy

so if someone is going to spit on an outstanding performance I want to see them do it better
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Khopri
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
237 Posts

Profile of Khopri
Sure its easy for the magician sitting at home to watch the show from the comfort of their armchair, discect the illusions, then claim triumphantly that they know how it's done.

OF COURSE he uses a variety of tried and tested techniques most of us know. He has the privelage of using whatever means available to achieve his results for an audience that watches from a TV screen. Given the same circumstances, wouldn't any of us do the same thing?

We all should know by now it's not how a trick is done, its how its presented that makes all the difference in the world. Presentation is key and that is what I enjoy about watching Criss' shows. His work up to a trick and the use of all the other "tools of the trade" are what make the show interesting, even when you know hoe he did it in the first place.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
We went around and around about this last Mindfreak season.

Do any of you who are not offended by the use of camera tricks, stooges and editing to re-create magic effects on television have any limits? By this I mean, what, if anything, would you say takes the illusions performed on these shows out of the "magic performance" category?

For instance, if using "whatever means are available" is okay, would it be okay to use CGI to create a levitation or sawing-in-half effect? If not, why not? How do you differentiate between CGI from other television production techniques used by Angel to present illusions that can't really be accomplished in the real world?
JDKelley
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of JDKelley
I agree with most of you...Yes, I got tired of hearing "Hi, Mom." everytime he turned on the SPOV camera. While I did notice there was a lot more magic than stunts, and even teaching a trick, however small.
I found it strange that when he did the vanish on the street, the person he "picked out of the crowd" was the only one INSIDE the barrier wall. Everyone else was outside. As for the motorcycle vanish, it was more cheesy than a Taco Bell quesadilla, however, I LOVED the comment about the difference between an appearance and a vanish. I thought that took wit. I actually laughed out loud on that one.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2006-06-01 12:22, JDKelley wrote:
I found it strange that when he did the vanish on the street, the person he "picked out of the crowd" was the only one INSIDE the barrier wall. Everyone else was outside.

To be fair, other people can be seen inside the barriers, some of whom helped move the walls in place. He did, of course, choose the person he rehearsed the trick with.
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
The ones inside the barrier had a very specific job. That´s a given. I think he could have come up with a little more random way of "selecting" the volunteer. You´re right, if only she had been outside the barrier, that would have sold the illusion better. Maybe time constraints prevented it? Remember when DC throws and bounces a beachball around to randomly select a spectator?
giochi
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of giochi
I saw X men two days ago- angel's show was no different. Stooges, staged scenes, camera tricks.

I can sort of tolerate the first two-but using camera tricks like simple cuts just takes it too far.
JDKelley
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of JDKelley
You're right....If I were you, I wouldn't watch it next week. We'll tell you what happens. LOL
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
Come on guys, let´s not get all worked up if soemone posts that he didn´t like the show. Nobody is attacking anyone, just commenting. Isn´t it what this forum is about? Some people liked the show, others didn´t. WHat´s wrong with that? The fact is that EVERYONE saw it! Now for the network that´s what counts. Which make me wonder... I think this is a very good show, but shouldn´t it be on a major network? Late at night perhaps, but still...
johnnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of johnnymagic
I liked the three stooges,Curly was my favorite and I liked Chris Angel's show...
Out of all the magicians I know, you're one of 'em...

www.johnnymagicmemphis.com
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
...to a slightly different topic, like the fact that he gave Jeff some time on the show as well.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Why not be fair and rag on Copperfield for the same thing?
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Copperfield hasn't had a television special in a while. If he does, you can be sure we'll be discussing it, pro and con, here at the Café.
JDKelley
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of JDKelley
Don't think for a minute that Criss does not read about himself in the forums. He reads what others say about him. He feeds off their comments and listens to what they have to say. Criss...If you read this.....

1. Find better actors.
2. Don't make the stooges so obvious.
3. Try a different outfit.
4. Thanks for not making us see and hear from your brother and mom throughout the entire show last night. I, for one, appreciate that.

LOL
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Randwill, I agree completely with your earlier comment
Where, indeed, is the line drawn for all those who say it's okay to use any means available on TV?

Randwill makes an excellent point. In the right hands, CGI can be absolutely photo-realistic. So, why not use it and eliminate all the difficult, cumbersome real-life methods?
Do those of you who support the use of whatever's available support this idea? You should, if you're going to stand by your argument.
It's all in the reflexes.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
You guys sure are harsh. So what if it didn't meet your standards? We are not his target audience. Now Angel is not my favorite magician, but I don't think he did too bad of a job. Why is it that every time a magician appears on TV everyone starts talking about how wrong he did everything? I seriously doubt that most of those doing the complaining could do any better and have laymen enjoy the show.

Also, why do some say things like "I was performing the other day and someone asked me what I thought of Angel. I told them that his stuff only works on TV & he uses stooges."

Does it make you feel good to put down another performer? Do you think you are just the greatest thing around?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel is stoogerific! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL