The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel is stoogerific! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 12:46, bitterman wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 10:23, Professor Piper wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 09:20, bitterman wrote:
Prof Piper:

If someone came into one of your three shops and asked for a book that would teach them how to make a motorcycle dissapear just like Criss Angel; do you point them towards a magic book or one on film/tape editing?

I don't think anyone is arguing that Criss Angel isn't very good at what he does, the question seems to be 'what is it he's doing?' Is it magic, illusion, camera tricks and staged reactions? Maybe the problem is the term 'magic' which seems to cover a very large grey area. Does 'magic' on a TV show have to be doable in real life/real time to be called 'magic', or was The X-Men 'magic' as well?

I point those who are interested in Illusion to Mark Wilson's complete course, and I let them know that it takes: Time, Dedication, Practice, and Love to make Magic work...If they are serious about Illusion, as one young man who came in the shop the other day was, I give them the names of a couple of other books to research (Such as hiding the elephant)...

I do not tell them about camera-cuts, editing, etc....That part will come if and when they have a Television special...

If you are so down on the use of effects that can only be achieve via TV, then I would hope you have as much vitrol for Copperfield...

What, you think he REALLY vanished the Statue of Liberty with available stage methods?

You ACTUALLY believe all of those spectators that viewed that Vanish weren't in on it (stooges)?

All I know for SURE is that I've seen DC live, been on stage with him...He IS Magic.

I've avidly followed Criss's success with the 'MindFreak' series and hope to someday see him live as well....

Because it sure as heck looks to me like he is BECOMING 'Magic' in the same way...

Don't like it, then change it by doing it better.

Prof. Piper

You didn't really answer the question there, chief, just kind of deflected it towards Coperfield. Do the ends justify the means in TV magic for you? As long as you think it looks cool, should you do whatever it takes to get the 'effect' across? Is that ok, or would it be like a golfer on TV improving his lie with the 'toe-wedge' when no one is looking?

What part of this I point those who are interested in Illusion to Mark Wilson's complete course, and I let them know that it takes: Time, Dedication, Practice, and Love to make Magic work...If they are serious about Illusion, as one young man who came in the shop the other day was, I give them the names of a couple of other books to research (Such as hiding the elephant)...

Didn't answer your question: If someone came into one of your three shops and asked for a book that would teach them how to make a motorcycle dissapear just like Criss Angel; do you point them towards a magic book or one on film/tape editing?

Chief? The name is Terry, if you don't like to use the stage name I've had for 14 years now...

As for your next question, it makes no sense to compare cheating (toe-wedge in golf) to utilizing the tools you have available to make a trick work...

Magic and Golf? Get real....Not even close...Unless you want to vanish a golf cart or something...(That's not a half-bad idea...hmmmm)...

At any rate, it's the venom and amount of, what really boils down to, jealousy amoungst those who post on forums like this and others that will NEVER perform before anyone, much less a national audience...

I'm not saying, REPEAT, I'm NOT saying there is anything wrong with the hobbyist, amature, collector, etc...

But it's a crying shame that someone like Criss (or Blaine or Alan or ad noseum) must endure such vitrolic critism from what is SUPPOSED to be a community, brotherhood, fraternity of Magicians...

You don't like his persona, no biggie...I don't care for Blaine's sometimes...

You don't like the way he dresses...Big deal...It's CLOTHES...

Just don't tear him apart because he's different...

Prof. Piper
(Terry L. Tidwell)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Well said, Professor. It was time for something different, and Blaine was at the right place at the right time with someting different - a little edgy. I too do not always agree with his methods and persona, however LOOK AT THIS POST! Blaine has laypeople and magicians talking about magic - a revived interest that certainly serves us all well.

Jim
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 14:58, Professor Piper wrote:

jealousy
Prof. Piper
(Terry L. Tidwell)

the word you're looking for is "envy"
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 15:54, cheesewrestler wrote:
the word you're looking for is "envy"

Yes. I might envy a good magician who put on an entertaining television program which exhibited a mastery of difficult skills.

Magic skills, that is.
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Everyone has opinions, and the right to state them...

What they do not have the right to do is tear someone down, degrade them, or attempt to minimalize their impact on whatever it is they do.

I'll state it again, the Magic Castle awarded Criss Angel "Magician of the Year"...

Does that mean nothing to any of you?

Professor Piper
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
Hi BooRadley. Just a comment on the street vanish. I agree that Copperfield`s version was slicker, but as you say, the situations and surroundings were different. The one thing that I think the editing team could have done better here is to have wider shots around the "walls", because with all the closeups on the panels plus the clutter of the SPOV camera, there was very little room left to have a cleaner view. I guess that prevented it from looking more slick.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 18:07, Professor Piper wrote:
I'll state it again, the Magic Castle awarded Criss Angel "Magician of the Year"...

Does that mean nothing to any of you?

Professor Piper

I assume the award is for excellence in something. Someone suggested the award goes to whomever did the most to publicize the art of magic in the previous year, but I don't know.

With guys like Johnny Thompson advising him, it seems like he would be displaying more magic chops on the television show.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Were I to produce a magic special; I'd use whatever tools I had to screw with the television audience.
I'd use CGI, stooges, doubles, multi-camera setups, TV only props, lies, edits, jump cuts, and product placement.
I'd do it for ratings. but, mostly for the money, Those who'd cringe over it, can tough it or simply don't burn the plasma.
POOF!
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 00:15, Professor Piper wrote:
BINGO Bobby!!

Criss, Blaine, etc...They have all made Magic more popular...More accessible..

More "in demand"...

Which makes me money...

I know, KNOW, that money isn't everything...

It sure does, however, make everything else a bit easier...

Thank YOU DC, Criss, David, Alan...et al...

You make my life fuller, and more profitable...

For that, I will be forever grateful...

Prof. Piper
(Terry L. Tidwell)

I disagree , there making magic a joke now. I was on the road and sitting at a bar and I asked the waitress to put A&E on , the first reaction of most people were who's this guy a Blaine duplicate, God I hope not Blaine sucks etc... Well guess what 10 minutes they complained and turned the channel and I went back to my hotel room and tried to watch the whole show but fell asleep I guess you can say I was bored. The next day on the radio they were dissing him. You got my point.
I also thought he seemed kind of cocky.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1160 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Some numbers for folks:
We had 2.3 million vewiers a 34 percent increase over last seasons premier.

We had a 1.8 overall average. If you break a 1.5 it is considered a major hit.

We were the number one non sport cable show. And broke all records for A&E. In one of the repeats last week we also broke the magic number 1.
ALso recieved the following email from A&E:

Mindfreak was the # 1 one show on all of cable in the 25 - 54 demo and the # 2 show in the 18 - 49 demo,and from 10:30 - 11:00, Mindfreak was the # 1 show on all of cable in both the 25 - 54 and 18 - 49 demos, with over 2,000,000 viewers. Doubled its lead in
and doubled last years premiere
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Great numbers. I hope they give credit where credit is due
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Well, if you count all the stooges and family members and friends of the stooges, that's gonna' be a big number of viewers right there.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of bitterman
It looks like INKED gave you a strong lead in, but you more than doubled their numbers. Impressive.

The ratings tell us Mindfreak is popular entertainment, but with the stooging and edits and all, was it ‘magic‘? That is still the central question.

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27060 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Using stooges undermines the hard work done by Don Alan, Mark Wilson, Doug Henning... to establish a "what you see here is what you would see live" credibility for magic on TV.

Now you might as well just use an audience of stooges and CGI to fill in the magic.

[Insert canned applause and laughter here]
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Hey! No stooges required to make this thread magically re-appear on The Magic Café!
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Ahh! The vanishing and appearing thread!! Who'd a thunk it.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
Ah, and we´re back!!!!
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of bitterman
It is interesting: I complimented Steve Shaw on his new look and the folks behind this TRUMAN SHOW edited it out. I guess they don't like Shaw's new look.

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27060 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2006-06-08 18:12, bitterman wrote:
It is interesting: I complimented Steve Shaw on his new look and the folks behind this TRUMAN SHOW edited it out. I guess they don't like Shaw's new look.

Who is Steve Shaw?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2006-06-08 18:12, bitterman wrote:

The 'Truman Show' reference wooshed right over my head. That film is about a man whose life is being televised and he doesn't know it. That relates to Criss Angel or The Magic Café or someone named Steve Shaw or what . . .?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel is stoogerific! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL