The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Dr. Strangtrick (Card Warp with $) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Hello all, I did a BRIEF search and didn't find anything touching on my question, so forgive me if this is out there already. Basically, I love this effect...best Card Warp version (with/without money) that I've seen. My only issue is that I want to perform this with a (borrowed) spectators bill. Have any of you out there done this? This, of course, brings into question the prepping of the bill. Granted, there isn't any secret revealed by getting the bill used to how your going to fold it during the effect, and it's not really that time consuming, however, it is still preparing the bill in front of people. The time should be occupied with patter, or at least SOMETHING. Do any of you perform Close's effect with a borrowed bill and can comment on this? Also borrowing a bill for this kind of kills what Mista Close uses for patter and misdirection (the mystical 2$ bill, which I'm not overly fond of personally anyway...though it DOES work). By misdirection, those of you who own the video will know what I'm talking about. For those who don't, Michael notes that the 2$ bill and the "Time machine" sort of patter that he puts with it puts the focus on the bill, taking it away from the card.

Anyway...looking for some idea's and whatnot here...hopefully some of you have some experiance with this.
Everyone else...I HIGHLY recommend this effect and the rest on this video, it's Michael Close's "The Ultimate Workers 1"
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I assume you want to use a borrowed bill in hopes it will be a tip at the end of the set? Otherwise, I can't see a good reason for borrowing a bill.

Given how little time it takes to fold the bill you should be able to find a couple of words to say about origami and time travel, or simply make a remark or joke about the bill (like Close's gag about the hitchhiker...).
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
LOVE the hitchhiker gag...I was working on it last night and think I may have come up with the timetravel patter I needed, though some fine tuning will need to be done I'm sure. The thing is, I LIKE the time travel things he uses during the set, I'm just not kean on the introduction of it...also it limits the use of a borrowed bill. And yes, though at the end of the routine I will give it back, I am hoping the spectator will ask me to keep it.

I got inspiration from my wife on the time travel...she's a big "Back to the Future" buff. So, at the start of the routine, I ask to borrow a bill. I then ask..."Have you seen the Back to the Future movies?" Yes/No answer is irrelevant as I explain "One of the main characters, Dr. Emmet L Brown, states 'I've spent 30 years and my entire life savings building this time machine' (which as my wife pointed out to me is not the exact quote, but it works for the routine)
I don't have that kind of time OR money. So instead, (as I fold the bill)I'm going to use a part YOUR life savings and less than a minute to make mine."

I then proceed as normal...though it may need some tweaking and timing...I think it's a good start. I think the timing of the patter and the folding of the bill is going to be key though so as to give reason. Anyways...thanks for the reply!!!
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
I also absolutely LOVE Card Warp. I used to perform this regular in a restaurant years ago and it never failed to drop jaws. Sometimes I did it with 2 cards, and sometimes with a borrowed bill and card. I always borrowed the bill; never had any trouble with that.

I'm just in the process of ordering Card Warp by The World's Greatest Magicians, as I want to get back to this trick, but learn some new handlings.

I have both Mike Closes video on this, as well as Mike Ammars, so not really sure how much benefit I will get from this new DVD, but I've never seen Bruce Cervon's handling.

And MAKMagic, I love your idea of using Back to the Future. We are also big fans of those movies, and have the DVD set.

BEST...

smitty
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Smitty,
When I reviewed the Card Warp DVD for MUM I noted that the real value of the DVD is in seeing how three masters handle the PRESENTATION of the effect.

Cervon's handling will B!+(# slap you... that's for sure. You can watch and compare Burger/Cervon and Close and thing about the choices each as made in his presentation.

Note also that Cervon gets SEVEN minutes out of the trick without it seeming to be drawn out.

MAKMagic,
You'll want to pick up the next issue of Channel One magazine. It will have my trick The Butterfly Effect in it. When you get the issue PM me and I'll tip my time travel theme for the script...
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
Sorry for the slow response WSDUNCAN. I couldn't find this thread for a few days.

For the very reasons you mention, is the reason I decided to purchase this. Watching those 'masters'. I've heard a lot of positive reviews of Cervon's handling. I haven't really seen a handling I don't like.

WOW, to get 7 minutes out of this would take some careful routining. I'll look forward to that.

Many thanks WSDUNCAN for taking time to comment.

BEST...

smitty
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
I just received The Secrets of Card Warp by L&L yesterday. I like everything on it except Paul Diamonds trick. I found it very lame.

Everything else is great though. I was already familiar with Mike Ammar's teaching and Mike Close's teaching but REALLY enjoyed seeing Bruce Cervon's ideas on this masterpiece.

smitty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Dr. Strangtrick (Card Warp with $) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL