We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Card to fly? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
I'm thinking about adding a card to fly to my card to pocket routine, but am not sure whether it will be inappropriate for a street show where their will most likely be children. In the routine the card will go to my fly two times in a row, after it has gone to the pocket twice and the deck has gone to the pocket once.
My character is a funny, goofy, self-deprecating, rambling type of guy. For the card to pocket routine I do a rub-a-dub vanish on my left pant leg, telling the audience that the card has penetrated into my left pocket, I then wiggle around a little to get the card to my right pocket. The card will end up in my fly because I didn't get it over far enough.
I don't have a problem doing it and don't think it's that bad, I have a couple of mild innuendoes later on in the show that are worse and I've never been approached for those. But if any of you have any experience with this trick in this venue please let me know.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
As long as your reach in and grab the card with a pair of BBQ tongs I think you'll be ok.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
I load it and remove it at the same time, so it's gonna have to be my hand.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Guess so.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Two words:

Cops.

Handcuffs.

Two more words: public indecency.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2006-06-01 21:57, Lee Darrow wrote:
Two words:

Cops.

Handcuffs.

Two more words: public indecency.

Lee Darrow, C.H.

That's what I was thinking. The cops aren't going to wait for you to "whip it out".
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
BINGO!

You connected those dots as quickly as the beat cop would connect what was about to happen when you unzipped your ... !

'Nuff Said.

NOT a trick for the street. Keep that one for the occasions where it is appropriate.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
665 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
"He never lost sight of his ojectives, which he pursued in a spirit of wise economy and admirable political astuteness by cutting through the old bumbling spirit of routine and rejecting the opposition of so-called experts, focusing only on essentials." -- Carl von Clausewitz writing of Scharnhorst
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Quote:
On 2006-06-16 00:57, Eric Evans wrote:
"He never lost sight of his ojectives, which he pursued in a spirit of wise economy and admirable political astuteness by cutting through the old bumbling spirit of routine and rejecting the opposition of so-called experts, focusing only on essentials." -- Carl von Clausewitz writing of Scharnhorst

Very nice quote Eric, sincerely...

But:

The practicality of doing something that could be construde as inappropriate is dangerous, no matter how 'Avante Garde' your character, nature, or outlook might be.

There is definately a time and place for pushing of the envelope, I whole-heartedly agree...

However, the street...General public streets, are not it.

I work in a controled environment, a Theme Park...Therefore ALL my actions, reactions, and ad-libs MUST be carefully considered (a monumental task, when performing on the fly, I admit)...

You MUST, as a street performer, remember that ANYTHING that is not 100% G rated, Disney approved, is up for challange and inspection...And even THEN, you will still find those amoungst a gathering on the streets that will attach inappropriate connotation to ANYTHING you do.

I think that the majority of the posters here are correct:

Save the risque (or seemingly risque) to venues in which the audiences have been warned that the material presented may contain offensive or objectionable content.

Just my 2 cents.

Prof. Piper
(Who was amoungst a troupe that brought street acts back to Vegas in the early 90's)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
665 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Glad you liked the quote Prof.

I don't know where to begin outlining where and how much I disagree with the general thrust of your position. So I guess I'll start here and if time allows in the future, I'll add more later.

You wrote:
>>You MUST, as a street performer, remember that ANYTHING that is not 100% G rated, Disney approved, is up for challange and inspection...And even THEN, you will still find those amoungst a gathering on the streets that will attach inappropriate connotation to ANYTHING you do.<<

You negate your own argument by stating that whatever you do, no matter how careful a performer is, there will always be someone that they offend. That doesn't make sense. You've stated that the streets are not a place for "controversial" material, if that is the case, where is the right place for such?

I contend, and I think that if you survey the most successful street performers today, you'll find that ALL of them are controversial in some way or other. They ALL push the envelope of acceptability. In fact their ability to do so, and make their audience comfortable in spite of that controversy, is one of the primary qualities that make them so successful as performers -- Street performers. Not sunday school, Women's rotary club, weekend in the catskills family smiley guys/gals, but in the street, gritty, somewhat abrasive warriors that will not accept the status quo under any circumstances.

It's easy to be misunderstood and offend, it's much more difficult to be understood to offend in such a way that the audience enjoys their own discomfort. THAT'S what makes a memorable moment.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The card to fly is very funny, but in today's litigious environment, there are a lot of things that can go wrong.

For example, you are performing for a crowd and some extremely straight-laced fellow with a three-year-old daughter sees you do the card to fly, and photographs it just as the hand goes into the fly. Then he tells the cop on the corner hat his daughter has been traumatized by what you did. That's all it takes to make your day, especially if they have seen one of these TV lawyers advertising the contingency lawsuits.

The biggest thing you have going for you on the street is that most cops will tell him to give it a rest because you don't have anything to sue over. But you might also have charges filed on you for committing an indecent act. This means that you will be listed as a sex offender. You really don't want to do that.

Really.

Trust me on this one.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Okay what if, just, what if, you took it one step further and DROPPED YOUR PANTS as part of a hysterical ending to an already outrageous comedy excape act. I would guess this is much worse than card to fly?

I do push the envelope way too far because I do this in nearly all my shows for ALL ages, the exception is schools...I will not do it there.

Card To Fly on the street...don't be a wimp, I say give it a try! It would probably go over rather well, I'll do it someday and I'll tell everybody to whip out thier cell phones or whatever and actually take pictures of me doing it! Har!!!

That would be great!

I Am Johnny Mystic
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
I watched Dante do it New Orleans for a few years. He plays it along the lines of "oh gee, that is where that card went". It is one of many cards produced from a multiple selection. He does a big stall and delay as a build up, almost like he is not too glad about the cards location. When he "goes in" you know he is reaching for the card.

I don’t think it is what you do (for the most part) but how is done.

That being said, Dante has been at it for years and is one of the best magicians I have seen and have the pleasure to know. He knows what buttons he can push.

Me, my fly stays closed in public.

Mark
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Mad Doctor has a good point as it's not something dirty, but something as more of a surprise, this shouldn't be here type of thing ya know...

I'd still like tah know what ya'll think of a magician who drops his britches at almost ever other show...even on the street man!

It's quite bad you know...also,in the same routine my b*ll's get smacked and I produce a very large, VERY LARGE bra...this thing could wrap around me twice!!!

So what's up now folks? Is this politically incorrect or what??? Could I be sued!!??

I Am Johnny Mystic
<BR>I never inhale Smile
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Pants have dropped off of a whole line of great entertainers. Straightjackets have the between the legs strap that I have see played up by more than a few folks in the street.

Johnny, there is a ton of talent that has advised against it and I don't ignore what they have to say. I am not giving advice, only saying what I have seen. My style (or lack of) does not include revealing to much of myself due to wardrobe malfunction but if it works for you...go for it I say.

My two pennies, and that is all they are

Mark (who doesn't know why my last post is listed twice.)
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Eric Evans posted that he felt, if I read him correctly, that the card-to-fly was something that was appropriate to do in a street show.

I just got back from Atlantic City and doing a show there.

I watched a guy doing a pitch on the boardwalk there do that exact trick. And the moment his hand went in to his fly, three cops descended on him and arrested him for public indecency.

I would postulate that yolur theory, based on a misreading of voc Clausewitz, is inaccurate as shown by the cold, hard light of factual experience.

The old strategist never espoused going against superior forces simply because one COULD do so, which is what you are actually suggesting - to wit: a single street performing magician can perform this trick, which literally and figuratively is against the law - decidedly superior force in the social milieu (the groping or touching of one's genital areas and specifically direct contact with the genitals through the clothing or through an opening in the clothing shall be classed as a violation of this Public Act). Von Clausewitz NEVER espoused starting any fight that you could not, or had little chance OF winning.

This is precisely such a case.

Your interpretation of his writings is incorrect.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
"Even a reverse side has a reverse side" - Japanese proverb
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Quote:
On 2006-06-21 18:08, Eric Evans wrote:
Glad you liked the quote Prof.

I don't know where to begin outlining where and how much I disagree with the general thrust of your position. So I guess I'll start here and if time allows in the future, I'll add more later.

You wrote:
>>You MUST, as a street performer, remember that ANYTHING that is not 100% G rated, Disney approved, is up for challange and inspection...And even THEN, you will still find those amoungst a gathering on the streets that will attach inappropriate connotation to ANYTHING you do.<<

You negate your own argument by stating that whatever you do, no matter how careful a performer is, there will always be someone that they offend. That doesn't make sense. You've stated that the streets are not a place for "controversial" material, if that is the case, where is the right place for such?

I contend, and I think that if you survey the most successful street performers today, you'll find that ALL of them are controversial in some way or other. They ALL push the envelope of acceptability. In fact their ability to do so, and make their audience comfortable in spite of that controversy, is one of the primary qualities that make them so successful as performers -- Street performers. Not sunday school, Women's rotary club, weekend in the catskills family smiley guys/gals, but in the street, gritty, somewhat abrasive warriors that will not accept the status quo under any circumstances.

It's easy to be misunderstood and offend, it's much more difficult to be understood to offend in such a way that the audience enjoys their own discomfort. THAT'S what makes a memorable moment.

As I clearly stated: The appropriate place for controversial material is in a theater/club setting where the audience has been warned BEFOREHAND that risque material will be offered.

Here's a scenario to help clear things up, in case Lee's post doesn't tell you anything:

Imagine you and your 12 year old daughter (whether you have one or not, use your imagination) are walking along the sidewalk in a busy retail district...

You see a magician doing his schitck and decide to walk over to see what's happening...

Just as you get withing 'audience distance' the Magician sticks his hands in his fly...

How would that make YOU feel as the FATHER (or mother for those females reading) of that pre-teen LITTLE GIRL?

There is a time and place for everything...

The street is NOT the one for material such as this....Period.

Prof. Piper
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Well, my kids have seen this trick a gazillion times, it wouldn't faze them, however their dad is amagician.

I will say that politcal correctness is rather stupid, this is my opinion.

As for groping thru the clothes, have you ever seen many of todays young people? young guys can't keep their hands of themselves, you see them grabbing their sh*t all the time, even seen 'em doing while talking to cops.

I could see an old man performing card to fly and possibly being arrested, 'cuz at that point he may look like a dirty old man.

Maybe it would take a person with an outrageous character to pull it off...come to think of it I may not try this in public.

I Am Johnny Mystic
<BR>I never inhale Smile
martysh
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville,SC
472 Posts

Profile of martysh
Ok guys I am adding fuel to the fire..

I just had a most successful Saturday night on my city's street.. I didn't do too much card work really but 3/4's into my 3 hour stretch I went into my ambitious card routine on a lark and pulled the card out of my fly mid way in the routine. It was well received and I got a huge laugh which is what I wanted.

Without the long drawn out essay...I knew at that moment I had the right audience for this at the right time... so it played.

I live in no fear of being arrested had no concern as to the police car parked right on main street in sight of my act on the plaza. I think if they were there to witness this they would have laughed too.

it's all about discretion and with a bit of experience or maybe some common sense you can do this bit at the right time for the right crowd and get a reaction you are looking for.

I do it rather quickly and irreverently to lessen the emphasis a bit I guess.

You guys are worried too much ... The essay in my head that I would love to write is that as a street performer we just need to know in our large arsenal of effects what trick to do when for the audience at hand.

I can't wait to get back to my spot on July 1st... I had a blast that night. everything played well....and the hat was rich!

Marty
Greenville, Sc
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Martysh

I am going to try and be there on the 1st to see you!
Sounds like things are going GREAT in GREENVILLE!

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Card to fly? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL