We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Card to fly? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Marty...

Well said, and congrats on the Hat!

I will concede that IF you are seasoned and KNOW how to read an audience, then if your discression says do it, then go for it...

BUT:

For the general Busking performer, I would suggest extreme caution on ANYTHING that might be construed as inappropriate...

It's simply too risky.

Prof. Piper
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Common sense should prevail.

Every day I drop off my stepson at a point where a van comes to pick him up to take him to a job site.

When we get there if the van is late, he gets out of the car and I sit in the car and wait 'til he is picked up.

I usually wear Khaki pants and often have a thermos of coffee to drink. (This is to set the scene for your).

So, one day my phone rings. It is the police. They said a woman ID'd me (from a photo of my licence from the DMV by checking my car license number)... and that she said I was sitting in the car NAKED from the waist down and doing something obscene.

It took much time and effort to convince the police that was not the case... but it was a huge pain. This shows you what some individuals can do to you.

I don't know what her motives were. To get some money? The cops couldn't figure it out either.

So... out on the street you have to keep yourself safe from dopey pinheads.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
So whether or not you pull a card from your fly or drop your pants...or just sitting in a car and making sure your grandchild is safe, wackos can and will be in your life at any given turn.

So why not just pull a card from your fly, with the right crowd it should be fine.

If people do think you're a dirty old man for pulling a card from your fly, they could've been thinking it in the first place being as some peoples nature is to be paranoid over anything.

I Am Johnny Mystic
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
My first line "Let common sense prevail" -- it the crowd is right, the time is right... do it.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Downtown Chicago, today. A repeat of Atlantic City. Same trick, different guy and the crowd was digging it, laughing and applauding.

And the cops busted this guy like he as selling meth. From what I saw, he took two pretty good shoves and maybe a smack in the head, too.

Plain and simple, if the cops decide that you have broken the law, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT the CROWD thinks. The people wearing the badges, carrying the guns and who have the power to arrest you are the ones who will make that call.

Why wave a red flag in front of a bull?

So far, it's Theorists: 0 Cops: 2

Yes, Virginia, there IS a line and if you step over it, some cop, somewhere WILL bust you for it. I have now seen it happen TWICE in less than TWO WEEKS!

This is a trick for the bar and for private parties, not for the street.

And people wonder why street performers get hassled...! 80

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
If the card appears in your pocket it's okay, but if it appears a couple inches away in your fly you get busted? So what if you GROPE around in your pocket for the card and make some obvious inuendo..will you get busted for that also?

Are these magicians that were busted by the cops now registered sex offendors, wonder what level they are??? I'd do my best to spin this into my publicity..not sure it would get too far...?Lol!

This sounds like something more sinister...in court, the cops that busted these guy's hafta tell the judge exactly what happened.

"Your Honor, this magician made a card disappear from the deck and reappear inside his zippered fly, I saw it with my own two eyes"

Hmmmm....

Since you must live in this town Lee Darrow C.H. would it be too hard for you to find these public records of these arrests and share them with us here on the Café'?

I Am Johnny Mystic
<BR>I never inhale Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Lee:

He just doesn't get it.

Johnny:
Let me 'splain something about these arrests. When you get arrested, you have an arrest record. It doesn't matter if you get convicted or not -- you have an arrest record. Forget "presumption of innocence." The record is there. These are not simple public offenses. If the cop writes a ticket for public indecency, you will pay some big bucks fighting the charges. Most states won't pay your court costs if you win the case. YOU have to pay the legal fees, YOU have to pay the court costs. If you don't have a cousin or a brother or some other close friend who is an attorney, you will be in a world of financial hurt.

If you cop a plea, then you are stuck with a CONVICTION!!!! And you will have to register as a sex offender everywhere you go. You are from Massachusetts. You should be familiar with what has happened to people up there.

You don't have to be guilty to be convicted, either. Check this link:
http://today.uci.edu/news/release_detail.asp?key=987

Here's the real injustice -- Josiah Sutton, who was wrongly accused and convicted of rape is now free. He was exonerated, and the man who did the deed was caught. Josiah has been free for two years. Governor Perry has not expunged his record of the conviction. The maximum he can get from the state for the wrongful conviction is $150,000. He can't even get a job, because his record follows him.

If you get dinged for public indecency, you may be prohibited from performing in places where children are likely to see you work.

And if you do get off (of the charges), and you get arrested further down the road, the previous arrest can be used to indicate a pattern of behavior, should you be convicted at a later date.

We are just trying to keep you out of the hoosegow.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
And that, unfortunately, is how the 'cow ate the cabbage'...

The point that is being missed, although it has been very eloquently explained by both Lee and Bill is:

It makes the same difference as a Butterfly fart in a hurricane as to what YOU feel is 'right' or 'acceptable'...

It's the masses and those with the badges, that count.

Sucks.

Unfair.

Totally ridiculous.

But sadly:

LIFE.

Deal with it.

Prof. Piper
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Just for some info...public indecency does not get you on the sex offenders list.

It is a small fine and maybe a night in jail. That ain't fun but much more the truth.

I will admit I have not been on the street as much this year as I was the last couple but I saw card from fly and other things from fly a number of times last year with no head bashing. I have also seen head bashing for no reason that anyone could ever find out. Were these guys already trouble makers...was it the effect or.....
I would also be interested in what the performer was taken in for. Do you know who it was Lee? A local?? There is an organization that helps buskers with legal issues so if you can find a name I can find their info.

As far as what works on the street...

The answer is simple and our Moms already taught it to us....Ask. I do . I don't do card from fly but I will make sure I talk to the police all the time. In New Orleans I knew some to the point of what cigars they like.
Now that I am drifting around in Texas I make sure to ask what is OK. This usually means one of my shows will have some officers watching. This is a good thing.

And it is not rocket science.

Mark (who thinks there is more foul viewing in half a second of TV watching then the worse card from fly)
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Quote:
On 2006-06-22 21:21, martysh wrote:
Ok guys I am adding fuel to the fire..

I can't wait to get back to my spot on July 1st... I had a blast that night. everything played well....and the hat was rich!

Marty
Greenville, Sc

Great Show on the 1st!!!! Really enjoyed it. Nice to finnaly meet you.

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
And they say that the u.s.a the land where everything is possible and you can make your dreams come true.........nothing is allowed. glad that I live in europe.

sorry, to say this but if you have seen Gazzo perform you know what is rude or comedy....

if you have seen david williamson perfroming rocky and banging him dead on the table and then re live him again, in front of hundreds of children

not to mention penn and teller......

personaly I wont do the card to fly because I thing it is a almost to easy (cheap) joke.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Where public indecency gets you depends entirely upon where the offense occurs, who the judge is, who your lawyer is and who the plaintiff is. It depends on the prevailing notion of the town.

Obviously, in South Carolina, there is a lot more leeway than there is in certain parts of Chicago.

Don't get me wrong. I think the card in the fly is funny. Irv Weiner used it as his main "out." There was a time, a political climate, as it were, when this could be done without fear if the performer really understood what was going on.

If the prevailing social attitude of any venue is one that puts you at risk for performing this particular piece, it makes absolutely no sense at all to do it.

Some performers stubbornly perform material that gets them in legal hot water, claming that they are pioneers for the first amendment. If you want to really understand this, read Lenny Bruce's autobiography, as it was serialized in Playboy magazine. Then listen to his albums. Then go back and read his autobiography.

Lenny was a controversial figure. The material he got jailed for would not have even raised an eyebrow in most venues today. But in the long run, was it Lenny who got the laws or the interpretation of them changed? Probably not. George Carlin made more headway than Lenny did. Lenny made some really big mistakes, one of which was not knowing when to back off.

I've seen big name comics lose out big time because they didn't pay attention. It cost them money in the long run. One example is Andrew Silverstein. About all he gets is the money from his syndications.

I don't think he can even get booked in jail.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2333 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Well Bill, that is the way the Dice roll... As to the other, I feel most magicians live in desperate fear of offending someone. that's a reason why I enjoy the PUBLIC performances of people like GAZZO. We have backslid into the 1950's. This country was once a place to be proud of. Now it is composed of people who are afraid to offend anyone. Hell, this country produced National Lampoon in the 1970's. One of the most controversial yet consistently funny magazines EVER created. Now we walk around congratulating ourselves on how daring and liberal we are because we have gay oriented shows. Big Deal! If anyone were to try and make a Blazing Saddles type of movie today, he would be tied to a stake and burned. What happened to us?
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
If you're going to do this wear long underwear and sew the fly shut so there is absolutely No Way you can expose yourself. Then if you are arrested they have to prove you could have exposed yourself.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2351 Posts

Profile of todsky
Glad to live in Canada, where I have the freedom to pull a card out of my fly without being beaten. On the down side, here in Montreal (Quebec) if I post a commercial sign in English only, I may have the language police after me (no kidding).
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Wish me some luck on this one folk's...I'm off to Williamstown Mass....Ivy League ya know? anyway's I plan on pulling a 'Card From My Fly' and dropping my pants.......

If I get arrested I'll post it, I promise!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile

I Am Johnny Mystic
<BR>I never inhale Smile
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2006-07-04 13:17, todsky wrote:
Glad to live in Canada, where I have the freedom to pull a card out of my fly without being beaten. On the down side, here in Montreal (Quebec) if I post a commercial sign in English only, I may have the language police after me (no kidding).

Just to be a naughty boy. I would post my signs in English and Hebrew. Hey bilingual is bilingual.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Don't get me wrong, guys! Card to Fly is hilarious! We used to do it at the New York Lounge in Chicago all the time! Heba Haba Al was a MASTER of this routine and I've been known to do it myself on occasion, but on the street - no. Sorry.

In a bar, in a car, for a star, from afar,
not on the street, on the beat, but where there are seats
not walking feet, it's quite neat and a treat!

Dr Seuss does cards?!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
At a past FISM didn't someone drop his drawers and pull a card out of his rear?
Laird
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
124 Posts

Profile of Laird
During my cups and balls routine, I could talk about my 14 inch wand, and how most guys have just two balls, but I have three. I won't let it happen, except with some friends.
By the way, you can use that line.
It's never to late to have a happy childhold!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Card to fly? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL