The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Info on kids performer book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Not sure if I should have asked this here or in the book review forum. But it is an older book so I thought I would give it a shot. I just bought some older books off of ebay and one of them is called "Doing Magic for Youngsters" by Bert Easley. Do any kids performers in here own the book? If so is there anything good that is current. Not sure when it was printed but I am sure it is not recently. Thanks for any help you can help with.

Thankyou
Steven
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
It's is an older book and one of the first I read, back in the 60's. It does have things like the Black Hand Towel gag.

I haven't looked at it in years.
Dennis Michael
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Just bought it a few days ago myself. Yes, it is an older book, but I have gotten a lot out of it in terms of showmanship ideas.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I still have mine! That means that I find it useful.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I just looked at mine. It was printed in 1948 by Tannen. There are two parts: Part I, "Doing Magic for Youngsters", I have marked it up quite a bit which means I learned a lot from it back when I started. Lots of advice stated in that section has been stated here on the Café in different sections, such as rules, visual comedy, "The Magic Word", "Sucker" effects, etc. Much of what is said still holds true today, and can be found in many other books.

Part II is "The Art of Conjuring to Children"
Quite a few of these original effect, I would not do, however, I read the patter and though out the book there are useful lines and bits of business, including a section on comedy gags. It includes a section called "The Perfect Rabbit Production" A very nice production of a rabbit out of the hat.

My rule for a worthy book is simple. If I get one useful bit of information, a gem, or a routine that I can use or modify, it is worth the price of that book. I got a lot of gems when I first read it because I was new to children entertainment. Many of them gems can be found in other books too. Yes, there is still good things I can now use if I so choose.

In hind-sight, the book lacked something, but I couldn't put my finger on it at the time. It was experience. Much of what was said did not sink in until I experienced it. It's one thing to say "Do not ridicule or embarrass a kid.", yet it is another thing to understand that. I don't embarrass easily, so I thought (Wrongly back then) that if it didn't embarrass me, it shouldn't embarrass the volunteer. Wrong-Wrong-Wrong! Experience taught me, this is easy to do, unintentionally, and hard to recognize quickly, I learned to be prepared with an "out" to defuse such situations. The advise was rock solid but my youth, lacked the practical communications skills, to comprehend and apply this simple principle.

It worthy of staying in my collection and NOT hitting the auction block. The illustrations are in line with other noted European authors like Edwin Hooper's Supreme Magic Book Series. Antiquated by today's standards, but the bits of business are still used today. (ie. "Are you Married?") The gags are still used "Black Hand Towel" GAG.

PS. It pre-dates, David Ginn's "Professional Magic for Children" book by at least 28 years!
Dennis Michael
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
I've had this book for years and have gotten a couple of good routines out of it. I use the milk routine with the funnel and it plays really good.

Joe
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Well thank you all for posting. I got it in an estate sale with a few other magic things. I will read it and sounds like I will get some good use out of it. Thanks again for your great responses.

Thanks
Steven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Info on kids performer book (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL