The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help with Bobo's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Redhead
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redhead
I am new to coin magic and slowly but shourly I am working threw Bobo's book but I must admit it is dull to simply work on slights with no rutines to put them in. Can any one provide me a remady for my bordum? How about a link to a simple rutine, it seems like this book is only slights , and no Basic rutines to use them in?
HELP
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1277 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Keep reading... there are plenty of classic routines in there.
BooRadley
View Profile
Regular user
Houston Area
176 Posts

Profile of BooRadley
Page forward in the book. There are LOTS of routines in Bobo's book. I don't think you have to go in order page by page. Flip to the middle or so and knock yourself out with a "Coins Through The Table" routine.

BooRadley
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8858 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hi Red, and welcome to the Café...Smile You're gonna love this place. Smile

As to your question, there are a lot of routines in the back of Bobo's once you get through the stuff upfront. I will make the following suggestion that seems appropriate here...You have the jacket in having the book, there's a nice pair of pants to go with it now, a new dvd set called "Modern Coin Magic" that deals exactly with the stuff in the book, including routines. Since you already have the book, this latest dvd set (4-dvds) is a nice way to "see" what the book is talking about...very, very helpful. Smile Here, take a look for yourself at the link below... Oh, and just stick with it, it'll come...Smile -MB

http://magicmakersinc.com/moderncoinmagic.html
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Another tip: Don't try to learn 'every' single sleight in a section. For instance, don't learn every vanish. Select one or two that appeal and get those down. Move forward as suggested above and look at the various routines. Again, select several that appeal and see what specific techniques you need to perfect them and then focus in on that material. This will help move you forward and keep your interest up.

Also, keep in mind that the learning curve for coins in much steeper and longer than for cards. Be patient and you will be well rewarded. Best,
Brad Burt
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
The fact that you're getting bored means that you're ready for the next level. Contratulations!

I think the next logical step for you would be the Quick Tricks section, which offers some immediate gratification by providing a fun and easy-to-perform context for the various sleights you've been learning.
sepaternoster
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of sepaternoster
I agree, the Quick Tricks section is great. I especially suggest "Through the Hand, (b)". It's one of the first things I learned, and I still use it. The move can be mastered easily, and, with a little build up to justify the move, you can make a great effect out of it.

I do it as a sort of sucker routine. I first pretend to do a coin through hand effect badly. While showing a coin in my right hand, I obviously take a "secret" second coin from my pocket and hold it in my left fist. Then, I put the "known" coin on the back of the left hand and rub it with the right fingers. While doing so, I just pick the coin up with the right fingers and thumb (no actual palming here, just a clumsy looking attempt to hide a coin) and open the left hand to show it has passed through. Just wait a few moments, and all eyes are back on the ridiculous looking right hand. I've never had this happen, but if the specs. don't catch on, my plan is to "accidentally" drop the hidden coin.

Once the bad routine is discovered, I proceed to explain that I am not fan of "sleight of hand". I just don't think it looks good when I do it; I'm just not very good at it, I guess (left hand deposits second coin back in pocket, but comes out as a fist again). I want you to believe there is only one coin (showing coin and tapping on back of left fist), and for there to really be only one coin (make the move now). Then I can just use magic (right now, spread right hand fingers and tap center back of left hand with right middle finger, no rubbing business this time) and push it right through there. Slowly turn over and open left..."Looks much better that way, don't you think?"

That's just my spin on one effect. I'm sure you'll find many things in Bobo's that you can fit into your own style.

Also, check out some video of effects from Bobo's here.
Seth E. Paternoster
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Quote:
On 2006-06-01 23:13, Redhead wrote:
I am new to coin magic and slowly but shourly I am working threw Bobo's book but I must admit it is dull to simply work on slights with no rutines to put them in. Can any one provide me a remady for my bordum? How about a link to a simple rutine, it seems like this book is only slights , and no Basic rutines to use them in?
HELP

I am assuming that you are still in the first few chapters of the book. The first bit, is just covering sleights. But, throught the middle and end of the book, you will see lots of neat routines. My only problem is that most of the routines are very quick, and there is no middle, or end to them. They just seem to be a beginning. And, in my opinion, if you want to have a succsessful effect/rouitne as oppose to just a little "magic trick" then you NEED a beginning, middle, and a startling end.
But don't get me wrong, there is still lots of stuff in Bobos that are great effects. (With a beginning, middle and end of course.)
There is also a study guide to Bobos you can take a look at. I highly recommend it.
And also remember that you don't HAVE to use the actual routines in the book. Learn the sleights, and make your own rouitne. Be creative and original.
Anyway, I recommend searching here on the Café for the study guide to bobos. It wont let you down. And make sure you get all the important sleights down. The stuff in that book is GOLD!
Good luck. -Cory.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help with Bobo's (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL