The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sleeveless Holdouts or Sleeveless Pulls? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brettsaunders
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
108 Posts

Profile of brettsaunders
Hi Folks,

I'm pretty new to magic and I've been reading about how some people are sewing magnets into their clothes as coin holdouts. Just wondering is there any other method to deliver coins to your hand in a t-shirt or short-sleeved shirt (other than taking those coins out of your pockets), and is there some sort of a sleveless coin-pull out there (either for shimmed or non-shimmed coins)? I live in hot Australia and would like to see what can be done in short sleeves.

Thanks for your time.

brettsaunders.
Paul Wingham
View Profile
Veteran user
Rustington, South Coast, UK
365 Posts

Profile of Paul Wingham
You can purchase coin droppers that could be clipped to the inside of a short sleeved shirt, I use this with a waistcoat and it works quite well. you need a little misdirection but not particularly tough to do
Paul Wingham
View Profile
Veteran user
Rustington, South Coast, UK
365 Posts

Profile of Paul Wingham
You can purchase coin droppers that could be clipped to the inside of a short sleeved shirt, I use this with a waistcoat and it works quite well. you need a little misdirection but not particularly tough to do
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
861 Posts

Profile of boydy
Stick a magnet in your back pants pocket and stick the coins onto that, then steal as needed. works for me.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Theres' a sleeveless version application for the Raven, must have a loose fitting shirt. I've played with it.. tricky but works.

I use a M******c hold out and find it very powerful.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Quote:
On 2006-06-04 12:56, boydy wrote:
Stick a magnet in your back pants pocket and stick the coins onto that, then steal as needed. works for me.

I do this as well. With just a little practice the movement looks completely natural.

Subterfuge is a sleeveless hold-out system that I find invaluable.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
Pachin
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Pachin
The same missdirection that you need for the holdout you can use it to pull the coins out of you pocket. If you can classic or finger palm a coin and move your hands naturally for awhile then you can go from there even if you are naked. If you are in a stage then yes you can use either the magnet or the hold out. But for walk around or street magic I am not sure how long the coins will stay in their place.

Now if you do not like the idea to put your hands in the pocket as a start then you can hide them under your belt. You can pretend to adust your zipper, your pants or tight your belt before you start and retrieve them from there.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1077 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
I recall a manuscript from J.S.Berry, European stars of magic I think, where he developped a device made out reels, allowing you to work sleeveless...
The pull was affixed to your waist band and could bring items to your hand, or the contrary...
This text was in french and produced by George Proust in 1986.
I don't know if this booklet exists in english...
brettsaunders
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
108 Posts

Profile of brettsaunders
Thanks to everyone for the above help. I'm going to look into coin droppers an the "subterfuge magic system" as well. That sleveless reel that lawrens mentioned sounds really interesting. Does anyone know anything more about this J.S. Berry guy's idea? Would love to hear about it. Also, I hear something about an elastic reel attached to the inside of the back pocket and pulled from the front pocket and then let go. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Brett Saunders.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
With misdirection you can always pull coins out. I pull a jumbo coin out to complete one of my routines. All with misdirection.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1866 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Rob, I do too, but if there is someone standing behind me, they'll usually catch it, although not always, and they will usually not say anything until later.

Misdirection versus technique: I go back and forth about that.

What about the time I produced a jumbo coin, then, as I was walking to the next table, I casually put it back where it came from and someone shouted out, "Now we know where it came from"? Talk about being busted!

By the way, who is Margot Fonteyn? Somebody we should know about?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A famous Ballerina. BTW didn't the advertising tell you you can't put the coin away while being watched??? Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
kardillusions
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
428 Posts

Profile of kardillusions
Just a thought- if you are going to be wearing a t-shirt or short-sleeved shirt, you can probably get away with wearing jeans- get those carpenter style jeans with the slanty-pocket half way down your leg, its usually just where your fingertips are when your hand is dropped to your side. These pockets are usually fairly tight as well, so you can retrieve a stack of five or six half dollars without the slightest sound, and the action for retrieval is completely natural.
Scott Baird
Instagram: @magicbaird
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sleeveless Holdouts or Sleeveless Pulls? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL