The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Axtell Magic Drawing Board - drawing the eyes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
How do people that own the Axtell Magic Drawing Board handle drawing the eyes on the magic drawing board? The instructions say to do it as you flip it around, or to block the area with your arm while you reposition the eyes. Flipping it around so the controls are not visible and moving the eyes in place seems a bit awkward to me, as does trying to position my whole arm across that area. What is your favorite method?
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Start with the eye furthest away from you. Use your hand and arm to cover the action of the eyes. This is the way that I do it. It isn't hard for me or feel awkward.

Ray
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I always drew the eyes with the board facing the audience, and nobody ever saw a thing. I would draw both circles for the eyes first, then do the pupils after that. As I'd reach over to the further eye, I would cover most of the circle with my hand, as I pretended to draw the pupil - then I'd do the move. Next, simply keep your hand and arm close to the board, and move directly over to the closer eye to mime the actions of drawing the pupil one more time. Don't be afraid that anyone will see the pupils Òcoming into playÓ. Think about how tiny those dots are, compared to your arm/hand. Very easy to conceal.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Plus, No one is looking for a "move". They are watching you draw a picture. And in the end, it's really just a puppet. No great mystery, but a nice little surprise when the eyes move.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
That's how I do it and I have never been caught, just keep the board close and make little circle motions with the pen without touching the board. That's the key part but if you do touch, just use a free finger on your right hand (with the pen) and smudge it off. It doesn't take much practice but just be aware of your angles. Without really thinking about it until just now, I place the heal and right side of my hand literally on the board (palm facing up)and pretend to draw under this cover. I have the board facing the audience at all times. It's me who moves to the side (with the right side of my body toward the audience). That position allows me to make the drawing of the pupils look very natural. Like Danny, I draw the round eyes first, then come back and do the pupils starting with the farthest one. Remember to keep your arm close to the board and cover the left pupil until it's time to reveal that one.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
I draw the circles first, then turn the board slightly towards me to draw the dots. I turn it enough for them not to see what I'm doing, not all the way around, but enough to make it look natural. IAs I draw the second dot, I turn the board so they can see me 'apparently' drawing it on.

I've never bothered with trying to hide it with my hand or arm, it works for me and while doing it this way, I'm casually showing the back of the board which shows I have nothing there to hide.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
With the board facing the audience, lower the board to about waist height. This allows your arm to be parallel to the boards eyes.

First pretend to draw the farthest eye under cover of your hand. The closer eye is concealed with the drawing arm. Move your hand then to the closer eye. While they are looking at the eye "already drawn" pretend to draw the other eye.

When that is done raise the board back to the normal level. It appears you drew both eyes in front of them. It looks much better than the methods above, and only takes about 10 seconds.

I can't take credit for this. Steve Axtell taught it to me.

Note: the methods stated by other above still work and they might be best for you. We are talking about 10 seconds and the kids don't think like adults. It's not a major thing to do, so choose what looks best, and fells comfortable to you.
Dennis Michael
okito25
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria BC Canada
145 Posts

Profile of okito25
I also . Clip the wiping cloth between my fingers, of the dity hand ..so when the back of the board . is facing the Audience .. only for a brief second it hides the control
Keet
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I draw the eyes, then draw the pupils under cover of my arm. Like Dennis said, it only takes a few seconds.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Thanks for the tips- especially using the cloth as cover- great idea.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Axtell Magic Drawing Board - drawing the eyes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL