The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Single card DVD buying advice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Okay, sorry to post something here on a subject that has been rehashed so many times. I've read the various threads on this forum and the different card forums but would like some succinct advice based on the below criteria.

I'm looking for a single-disk card DVD to catch me up on basic and intermediate skills. I can do various card controls (overhand, hindu, etc.) and forces fairly well as well as double lifts, etc. I'm looking for a good disk that runs through that material but also acts as a beginner's disk for stuff I don't do as well -- passes, changes, etc. These can be taught individually or in the context of routines, but I'm looking for something that really does spend some time on the teaching, doesn't rush through it, and with a teacher who anticipates some problems you might have with moves and can offer good advice.

I'm not into buying a huge multi-disc set, and as I've already run through the print version of "Royal Road," am less interested in those DVDs. And, perhaps most importantly, I'd like this all to be presented by someone who is a good, entertaining (without venturing into bad Sankey type comedy) teacher.

I had been thinking about picking up Daryl's Ambitious Card routine for this or one of the Michael Ammar disks. The Born to Perform/Oz Pearlman disk actually sounds like it has the right balance of moves and routines, although I know Pearlman is a debated topic on these boards. Anybody have any other recommendations for me?

Thanks.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Richard Kaufman has a 2 DVD instructional series (one deals with the pass and the other with basic card skills) if you are interested. Just google his name to find some links. Good luck!

<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
I also own the Royal Road to Card magic book and feel the same way about buying the 5 dvd set. Even though I think Royal Road is great, I've gotten my hardest hitting stuff out of my Ellusionist videos.

It's easy to get slammed for mentioning Ellusionist.com around here, but I found their card dvd's to be really good. Brad is a fantastic teacher. With your familiarity with Royal Road, you should already know most of what's on Crash 1 and 2, but it sounds like Ninja 1 & 2 may be what you're looking for. They really are great. Not that I'm a huge card guy, but out of all the card stuff I do know, the Vegas Card Cheat Routine is still my favorite and sometimes the only card routine I ever do.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Although I don't own Born to Perform the contents doesn't impress me. Daryl's DVD is not bad, not only will you learn the Ambitious Card but a lot of card controls. Michael Ammar's DVDs are good. It's possibly to fit all beginner (much less intermediate) card magic on a DVD set much less a single DVD a book maybe but even then... (that also depends on your definition of beginner and intermediate)
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Single card DVD buying advice? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL