We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » HyperWarp by Wesley James (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Does anyone here do this?

To me Card Warp is one of the most perfect card illusions ever. BUT,

I was wondering if this makes doing a regular Card Warp any better? Or just different. Also can the tearing of the card into the Hyperwarp Card tip the method of the original card warp?

I do like the fact that at the end of Hyperwarp you can hand out this incredible strange object they can take home and show to others.
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
I'm trying to find a demo of this. Sounds very interesting. I don't believe this routine is on The Secrets of Card Warp from L&L which I just received yesterday.

I'd love to see this.

smitty
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Wes has never done a video of this, so you'll be unlikely to find a demo of it anywhere.

In my opinion, creating the Hyper Card at the end of the routine takes an already great effect and elevates it to another level. Though I don't believe it's addressed in the book, a number of people have asked Wes about people reverse-engineering the method after pulling apart the cards and examining them. It's not something that he's worried about. As he points out, the audience is fully aware that you are tearing the car. However, they are not aware of exactly how the tears are made and how many layers of card the tears penetrate. So the fact that they see several tears in the card isn't really giving anything away.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
Guess we can only hope Hyper Warp ends up in Jeff's new book. I have no idea of this routine, but have heard of it.

smitty
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Why not just pick up Wes's book to get the details? In addition to Hyper Warp, there's a lot of other really great stuff.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5435 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
You would very likely enjoy reading through Tom Frame's new book, "The Hypercard Project," available directly from him ( tomframe1@comcast.net ). He has reprinted Wesley James' Hyper-Warp along with a number of other very clever ideas, and includes a supply of specialty gaff cards that enhance the effect(s) immeasurably.
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
Just since it hasn't been mentioned, the Wes James book is "Enchantments".
I'd have to say I don't perform anything from the book, but every page of it is fascinating reading, just to see the thought process in action.

I practiced Card Warp and Hyperwarp and considered doing them, but I'm not crazy about performing Card Warp in the first place. That said I'd have no problem handing out the Hyperwarp cards, and yes I do think it's a nice way to end Card Warp.

Just a word of warning, if you don't already know Card Warp it isn't taught in Enchantments (if memory serves). Only the Hyperwarp addition is taught. If my recollection is wrong on this perhaps someone can correct me.

-Richard
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2006-06-29 16:32, MagicMarker wrote:
Just a word of warning, if you don't already know Card Warp it isn't taught in Enchantments (if memory serves). Only the Hyperwarp addition is taught. If my recollection is wrong on this perhaps someone can correct me.

The full routine is taught, without giving away the Card Warp method. It's written in such a way that nothing is given away, but those who know the original method can easily follow along.

Out of curiosity...what is it about Card Warp that you're not crazy about?

-Jim
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
Hi Jim,

I'm not sure. Perhaps it's not fair to say I don't like it, I just don't like it as much as some other tricks, and at some point you have to narrow down the focus and pick the handful of tricks that you want to get really good at.

There are other tricks that I really really like, and so I don't have room for Card Warp. Perhaps in the future if I get tired of some other trick, Card Warp will make it onto the charts, but there are a few others ahead of it in the queue.

Another example would be some of the linking cards tricks, like some of the Paul Harris stuff. Looks great, but there are just too many other tricks I like more.

Maybe I don't like tearing cards.... I never thought of that. It's not like I don't have a pleantiful supply ready for tearing.

-Richard
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
As a kid I saw Eugene Burger do his version with Jumbo cards. I was hooked. To me one of the most perfect illusions ever. Just 2 two cards inches from their faces and then the IMPOSSIBLE happens........
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2006-06-29 16:51, MagicMarker wrote:
...at some point you have to narrow down the focus and pick the handful of tricks that you want to get really good at.

That's fair...thanks.

-Jim
Xenafor
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Xenafor
I think the warp would be a great addition to my bag of tricks. If anyone finds out how to do it, please share.
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
Hyperwarp is in Enchantments, but it's a pretty big book if you want just that effect. Someone here may know of another source for it.

The main reason I bought Enchantments was I happened to be in New York, had an opportunity to briefly meet Wes James so I nipped into Tannens and bought it, and got him to sign it. Like I said I love reading it even if I never perform an effect from it.

A lot of what's in it starts to influence your thinking when it comes to creating routines and effects, and that's that I've enjoyed most about it.

-Richard
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2006-06-30 14:16, MagicMarker wrote:
...I happened to be in New York, had an opportunity to briefly meet Wes James...

Interesting...assuming this was at the pizza place, you may have met me as well. Not as exciting as meeting Wes, but since I tend to hang out there as well, there's I good chance I was around when you met him.

"Card Warp" itself is available cheap from most dealers. It's also taught on Ammar's "Easy to Master Card Miracles, Volume 2". In addition, Jeff Pierce is working on a compilation of various Card Warp variations, including the original, which should be very interesting once it's released.

-Jim
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
It was the Pizza Place. I guess it would have been a year or so ago, I think it was around April.

I had my then girlfriend, now Wife with me at the time time, and I had subjected her to enough magic, so we grabbed some Pizza said hi, got the book signed and headed out to do some tourist stuff.

Next time I'll say hello and spend some more time.

-Richard
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
491 Posts

Profile of One Man
Also checkout Michael Close's Dr. Strangetrick - a great version of card warp with some cool handling touches. It is on Vol 1 of Ultimate workers DVD.

Kevin
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5435 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
Jeff Pierce is working on a compilation of various Card Warp variations, including the original

The true original, "Into The 4th Dimension... and Beyond" is credited to Jeff Busby, and was the inspiration for the Roy Walton piece. I'm not sure that this is going to be included in Jeff's new book, but you can still find it for sale from some dealers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » HyperWarp by Wesley James (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL