The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » One Liners For Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
kardillusions
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
428 Posts

Profile of kardillusions
Quote:
On 2007-06-28 11:31, Kevin Cook wrote:
When selecting an audience member I often use

"Would you MIND helping?"

This usually gets a big laugh.

If the audience members name is Brian I mis-pronounce it as "Brain" whilst pointing to my head with a stick and rolling my eyes around wildly.

If the audience member is not called Brian I quip

"I THOUGHT so!"

This line often gets me a standing ovation.




"seriously?" x3

Scott.
Scott Baird
Instagram: @magicbaird
Paul.W
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Paul.W
"Always think postivie thoughts you never know who is reading them"

If I told you , I would have to kill you!

my 2 favorites

Paul.W
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2085 Posts

Profile of yachanin
"Now I would like you to relax and make your mind a complete blank. That was fast. Do you practice often?"

Regards, Steve
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
922 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
"what I do are not magic tricks..."
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I can ready your mind like a book.
..........Well, go ahead.
I don't read that kind of book.

I read in the newspaper that a little person who had been working as a psychic before being arrested had escaped. The headline to the article was, "Small Medium at Large."

Did you hear about the medium who married a psychic? They wanted to make a little prophet.

The other day I met a psychic. She said, "You're fine, how am I?"
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Quote:
On 2007-06-28 11:31, Kevin Cook wrote:
When selecting an audience member I often use

"Would you MIND helping?"

This usually gets a big laugh.

If the audience members name is Brian I mis-pronounce it as "Brain" whilst pointing to my head with a stick and rolling my eyes around wildly.

If the audience member is not called Brian I quip

"I THOUGHT so!"

This line often gets me a standing ovation.




I'm assuming this is a joke. If so, it's pretty funny! lol
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
[[The other day I met a psychic. She said, "You're fine, how am I?"]]

This is too darn funny LOL...
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
One afternoon a man was wandering around a fairground and he happened to see a fortune teller's tent. Thinking it would be good for a laugh, the man went inside and sat down. "Ah..." said the woman as she gazed into her crystal ball. "I see you are the father of two children." "That's what you think," said the man scornfully. "I'm the father of three children." The mysterious psychic grinned and said, "That's what you think!"

M
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Nice one!!

Steve
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2594 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

(Another Groucho quote Smile
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Last night I was playing poker with a tarot deck. I got a full house, and three people died. (Steve Wright).
Do you believe in reincarnation? Welcome back.
Now a joke for the telepathics... (long pause) (Wayne Dobson)
Hypnosis is the ultimate chat-up line. Look into my eyes, you will lust after my body... my wife thinks she's married to Leonardo De Caprio. (It works because I am fat).
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Quote:
On 2007-06-27 15:29, James T wrote:
In the entertainment industry, they are known as "stock lines." Every facet has their own and uses them, singers use them..., comics use them..., hosts..., announcers, everybody. The choice to use them is yours.

Don't hold it against Paul, he can't help it... he's from Calgary. Smile

You're not wrong, but there is another side to this issue. There are some lines that might be considered stock lines that are actually taken from someone else's current act.

There's a good discussion of this at Master Mentalist! Umm ..., where someone points out a line that apparently some mentalists use that is from Emo Philips comedy act. It would be easy to assume this line was a "stock line,: but unless they have his permission, no performer should be using that line.

gabelson also has some great posts in that topic about the perils of using stock lines with regard to making it big. I consider those posts by gabelson to be among the best posts in the Magic Café, because his posts could help someone avoid limiting their career advancement.

On the other hand, if the line is an old line from an old book, and you don't care that everyone else is using it, then use it, just be aware of what gabelson wrote.

To be on topic, Jay Sankey used a great line in his lecture (it's his line), "Do you believe in free will?," and when the audience member answers, he says, "I made you say that!"
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
After taking the deck or paper back from the spectator. Late in the routine.

" This has been sitting here the whole time and I have not touched it once"
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2010-04-19 19:46, TonyB2009 wrote:
Last night I was playing poker with a tarot deck. I got a full house, and three people died. (Steve Wright).
Do you believe in reincarnation? Welcome back.
Now a joke for the telepathics... (long pause) (Wayne Dobson)
Hypnosis is the ultimate chat-up line. Look into my eyes, you will lust after my body... my wife thinks she's married to Leonardo De Caprio. (It works because I am fat).


Sweet!
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
I am part psychic, and part telepathic..

I am psychopathic.

And now for my next trick..
Self concept is destiny..
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
915 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
Bill thanks for the link 'Master Mentalist Umm'...dunno why I missed that one.
About the use of stock phrases and one liners...I am still very very confused!
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
"Now, we've never met before, have we?"

I perform pretty much solely for family and friends, and I slip this line in every now and then.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Quote:
On 2010-04-21 06:27, mindshrink wrote:
Bill thanks for the link 'Master Mentalist Umm'...dunno why I missed that one.
About the use of stock phrases and one liners...I am still very very confused!

You're welcome.

Here are the posts that impressed me. These are mostly about comedians, not mentalists, and gabelson himself said he wasn't sure whether all of the issues with stock lines that applied to comedians also applied to mentalists.

Post 1 mentions a great mentalist using a stock line.

Post 2 is about how television scouts will probably reject comics (and mentalists?) who use stock lines.

Post 3 is the best one. In it he mentions a comedian who became famous relatively quickly, but the point at the very end is key.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
Interesting posts. In my opinion, for the professional, as in any walk of life, being yourself (or at least an edited or selectively enhanced version of yourself) is of course what to aim for. You then find out whether that 'you' has the originality / quality of product / appeal that will lead you to succeed. (Or not, of course, and I suspect that that's when many people come to the conclusion that being a diluted Derren Brown, Osterlind or whoever will get them further than being a concentrated version of themself.)

But I think that the professional and the hobbyist come at one liners from different angles - the pro runs the risk of appearing to be (or simply being) a plagiarist if he/she uses a line from someone else's act. The hobbyist can use a 'stagey' line (eg "Now, we've never met before, have we?") and because the context is different, the people you are performing for see it as being tongue in cheek because you're so obviously NOT Derren Brown. And maybe because we perform for generally the same people over and over, and don't have scripts that have been honed by constant performance, having the occasional line that can be used as an emergency way to get people to relax or to smile while you do a tricky move, is worth knowing.
PSYSHADOW
View Profile
Regular user
England
196 Posts

Profile of PSYSHADOW
Curious to know. Is there a book available of stock lines ?

BOBBY THOMSON.
Peace in the World - or - the World in Pieces
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » One Liners For Mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL