The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » One Liners For Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Fizzban Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
and Jedi Knight
204 Posts

Profile of Fizzban Magic
Quote:
On 2010-04-20 13:59, Bill Hallahan wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-27 15:29, James T wrote:
In the entertainment industry, they are known as "stock lines." Every facet has their own and uses them, singers use them..., comics use them..., hosts..., announcers, everybody. The choice to use them is yours.

Don't hold it against Paul, he can't help it... he's from Calgary. Smile

You're not wrong, but there is another side to this issue. There are some lines that might be considered stock lines that are actually taken from someone else's current act.

There's a good discussion of this at Master Mentalist! Umm ..., where someone points out a line that apparently some mentalists use that is from Emo Philips comedy act. It would be easy to assume this line was a "stock line,: but unless they have his permission, no performer should be using that line.

gabelson also has some great posts in that topic about the perils of using stock lines with regard to making it big. I consider those posts by gabelson to be among the best posts in the Magic Café, because his posts could help someone avoid limiting their career advancement.

On the other hand, if the line is an old line from an old book, and you don't care that everyone else is using it, then use it, just be aware of what gabelson wrote.

To be on topic, Jay Sankey used a great line in his lecture (it's his line), "Do you believe in free will?," and when the audience member answers, he says, "I made you say that!"

I can agree with that, Although I think it depends on the type of entertainer as well, as a former stand up comic we would share stock or heckler lines as a way of defending ourselves against those "few" in audiences that more or less wanted to wreck a show for whatever reasons. So I guess I was thinking more about Heckler lines perhaps.

Cheers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » One Liners For Mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL