The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » One Liners for Ring Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicPresident
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of MagicPresident
Let's see how many we can accumulate that
relate to ring/string tricks. I can start:
(While handing out a 2 " ring for examination)
This is my first wife's wedding ring !
MAGIC HAPPENS !
Gr8neSS
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
53 Posts

Profile of Gr8neSS
This is not really a one liner but when borrowing a ring I take my magnifying glass and say the following while looking at the inside of the ring with it: "Ahh...how cute there's an inscription...T.I.N" then give a puzzled look.

Brandon
Wizard291
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Wizard291
No, I find the whole "Hang on - it says made in Taiwan," really offensive and is always a real downer on the routine. It is ok being tongue in cheek funny, but this comes across as just plain rude.
Gr8neSS
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
53 Posts

Profile of Gr8neSS
Well, I guess it's all about how you present yourself. I do see your point, but I've been done it many many times and never gotten a bad reaction. Then again, I can usually judge who has a sense of humor and it is usually followed by a, "No, it actually says 24 karat" or something of a similar nature if it is called for. But usually it's said in a manner where that's not neccessary, but I am sorry you found it offensive.

brandon
tim_mantis
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of tim_mantis
Derren Brown's writing on this kind of gag is interesting, he avoids using them altogether.

I think these jokes often seem rude to a British audience, perhaps we're too sensitive!

I agree that it can be detrimental to creating a really magical atmosphere and character.

Tim
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
I'm sure we'll get a round of applause (or applesauce).

If you could make the ring vanish and appear on my necklace would you be ringing my neck?

The obvious: Are there any holes, gaps, breaks, or other opening in your ring.
None. Except that one.

Please hold out a finger. Thanks for choosing that one.

or go into a Antique Roadshow parody

Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
after borrowing the ring, how about...

ooh, this is very nice. I was going to make a joke about it, but it was too near the knuckle! Smile

Robert
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
When borrowing a wedding ring
"Well that comes off pretty easily "

Mat
John Gordon
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of John Gordon
Always interested in finger-ring topics as my own trademark routine is with a borrowed ring.

Lines like those mentioned and those I include are certainly not suitable fro every audience and their success depends upon timing, delivery and age and attitude of the performer.

So......

Check this to make sure I haven't switched it for an expensive one!

No ring? It's not a conference is it?

Look, he's pretending it's hard to get off.

Oh..it's engraved.....'With love from all the boys at the rugby club!'

Now that's a real diamond. I can tell.....they don't make fakes that small.

and finally:

What's your name? I always ask their name before playing with their...........!

(c) John Gordon 1985-2003!
J O H N G O R D O N
Disappearing Nightly!
cheezymagic
View Profile
New user
Oblivion
23 Posts

Profile of cheezymagic
Good one mat, Howsabout:
"That Home Shopping Network is great, isn't it!" I know your all gonna use it. Yes, even you! Smile
"Master of the Ding Dong"
Elwood
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Elwood
I use a four inch ring for a ring off rope routine, and I always say it belonged to a dear old friend, Helga, former champion mud wrestler...she was weightwatchers biggest challenge!

For finger rings, I find that the older the couple the more you can poke fun. Young couples who have just recently got married or engaged are often very touchy about their rings (they'll get used to it!).

Oddly enough, it seems that those who are most unsure about lending you a ring end up being the ones who give the best reaction.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
This just occured to me, suppose you recognize the ring? i.e. "This is nice, it looks like the ring I gave to my first girlfriend...Mary? Is It YOU?"
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I like one I heard George Schindler use 30 years ago. You borrow a lady's ring, ask her her name (let's say it's Mary), then look inside her ring and say, "Oh, an inscription. Is it okay if I read it?" When she says yes, you slowly continue turning the ring while you slowly say the following as if you're reading an inscription, "Dear Mary, thanks for all of the memorable times we've had together. I'll never forget the night when...continued next ring." You then look up and say "You got another ring?" Said with the right cadence and facial expressions, it's very funny.
KJ
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY
97 Posts

Profile of KJ
My favorite line is while they are taking off their ring to say, "Well I sould tell you that I am a excellent thief... I mean magician." This ALWAYS gets a laugh and it doesn't offend people

-KJ
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I palm a fake diamond, taken off a cheapo ring. I take their ring and I drop the fake stone, give them a blank stare then pretend to try and reattach the diamond, always gets them!
Life of Magic!
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Wow, these are great. I really like Mr. Cam's line. Here's one that a local magician uses often and I absolutely love it. "Hey there's an inscription, is your name Kate? No? Kristina? No? Well who does the K stand for? Oh wait there's more written ...Mart...KMart? Does that ring a bell?" It gets a pretty good laugh if delivered right.
oldwilson_2000
View Profile
New user
Germany
77 Posts

Profile of oldwilson_2000
Hi folks,

I am in a hurry, so I didn't read all the posts thouroughly. Maybe someone has already come up with this. Greg Wilson's intro into this effect is something like this:

"Could I borrow your ring? I will show you a surefire foolproof way to protect your ring" (in the meantime the spectator has given him the ring) "so nobody can ever steal it. First of all: Don't give it to me!"

I'm not stealing lines as a habit, but this one is almost too good not to ...

Frank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » One Liners for Ring Tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL