We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Cardiographic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Richard Nedved
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Richard Nedved
Hi guys. I want to make cardiographic by Martin Lewis, but I don't know where can I buy the drawing pad. I'm from Czech Republic and in our country the block doesn't exist. Can you help me pls? I will be like from any advice or link where I can buy it. Thank you. Richard
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Richard,

I think you can adapt Martin's plans to work with whatever drawing pads are available locally. I have Cardiographic and I don't see why it would need a special pad. What is the 'block' you refer to?

Oliver
Richard Nedved
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Richard Nedved
Hi Oliver. I'm not sure whether is possible the cardiographic to make of one or two pads. Today I made my first cardiographic and I had to buy two same pads, which unfortunately have heavy sheets so I had to buy still some lightweight sheets, than to buy still one pad, which was bound spiral. I made cardiographic whose size is cca 30cm x 42cm (in our country) it's cca 11,8" x 16,5" (in your country). Here is impossible to get big drawing pad bound spiral and with lightweight sheets. Next problems are with holes in sheets. They usually are square, but not round. So that it isn't easy for me :/ ... I would like to ask you .. What size do you use? By the way ... the "block" .... I wanted write to the "pad" Smile Thank you for the answer. Richard
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Richard,

My pad is 36 cm x 28 cm. The paper seems thick. It's 50 pound paper. I think thick will work well. The size difference will not be a problem. Try it with what you have. It's a great effect. Good luck with it.

Oliver
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Martin Lewis suggests a 70 lb weight paper. It's a little heavier but the ink still is able to bleed through. I use 11" x 14" and each pad contains 50 sheets. They are not Bienfeng but Canson brand. The Canson brand has square holes on the pad and sheets and the spiral core is not as easy to put it back as Bienfeng's.

I do think the thickness of the paper matter. But you certainly do have to have 11 x 14 size pad as you can have it bigger or smaller - just make sure you adapt the cards in proportion to the dimension of the pad.

Have fun with the Cardiographic!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
365 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
Hi Gang,

I tried to find the brand that Mr. Lewis recommends, and the specific pad is no longer made, as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions to add to pads? Serial #'s & measurements much appreciated!

Cheers,
AtPG
------------

We could have been practicing!
GWGumby
View Profile
New user
Ft Worth
69 Posts

Profile of GWGumby
Asheknazi,

I saw your PM, and so I came to respond about my experience in tracking down items for making this prop.

First, I had a real hard time finding the exact pad the Martin recommends. It wasn't until I gave up and found a different pad to use that I discovered that almost every Wal-Mart has that exact pad I was looking for. Only it's not in the stationary/paper section. It's in the crafts section (usually near fabrics.) Every Wal-Mart I've looked in since then has had quite a few pads. Enough to buy several copies to last you for quite a while.

The pad I did find was a surprisingly cheap $2.00-4.00 pad at a Michael's or Hobby Lobby. The paper was a little lighter than the recommend weight, but it was the same size and sheet count. I'm sorry I don't have the brand in front of me to reply at the moment.

I found fishing line, markers, adhesive spray, and spray paint at a craft store (Michael's or Hobby Lobby).

I found a metal strip at Lowes in the lumber part section about 18" x 2" in size. I don't know what it was for, other than that it has several holes on various parts of the strip presumably for nails or screws to go through. The part number is LSTA18 and it says "Simpson Strong-Tie" on it. It looks like this: http://www.strongtie.com/products/highwind/Stud-BJ.html

I used a regular magnet rather than a ring, and glued or taped the line to it. Probably not the best solution, but it works so far.

I made the envelope out of a USPS Priority Mailer envelope.

Is that all the props? I pretty much followed instructions more or less from the DVD. My biggest suggestion in making it was to make sure that the envelope fits as closely as possible (without being snug) otherwise the rising card will tend to tip.

I'm sorry I don't have the exact pad specifications I used. I will check and report later what it was that I ended up using.
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
I use pads that are made by Bienfang. They are 11" by 14"
The number on them is #523. They have 70 lb paper.
I can't remember where I found them. Staples, Walmart maybe. Let me know if I can be of help.
David
mengst
View Profile
New user
Northern CA
74 Posts

Profile of mengst
I found mine at Staples. 11" by 14" Beinfang 70lb pad, #523. I think it's the same one Mr. Lewis recommends on his video.
Mike
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Yep, go to Staples. I do this trick 17 times every week and go through a LOT of paper. The weight of the paper is important in that you want it to be opaque, so that the envelope doesn't show through. Good luck!

Phil
Craig Kyle
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Craig Kyle
Martin lewis says a lot of things are necessary to create the illusion of a cardio graphic but the truth is you need none of ehat he says. Everything can be done with much simpler stuff.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4928 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Check out David Copperfields amazing version of Cardiographic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rRrMedJDy4 (german voice)
The best version I have seen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Cardiographic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL