The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Strange Eyes Phenomenon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Want to know something weird but nice?

Remember those old view master 3D viewers you had when you were a kid?

Try this. Take any color photograph from a magazine, such as National Gegraphic...the clearer and more sharply detailed the better. Look at it. Flat right?

Now take one hand and completely cover one eye. Wait a few seconds, and tada! It suddenly begins to look 3D!

Not as perfect as the old viewers, but strangely enough, the effect is still there.

Why it works, I have no inkling, but it does indeed work.

I learned that years ago, and just thought I would share. Pass it onto your grandkids.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Daffy, check out the dominant eye shaded glasses. These are sold and use the same principle to make movies etc look like 3D. It's something about how the brain interprets images though both eyes to get depth information. Try a google search on 3D and dominant eye for details and products.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
The Pulfrich Effect is one example - watching a swinging pendulum with the lens of a pair of sunglasses over one eye will make the pendulum seem to be swinging in a circle. Simulated 3D.

This and other oddities of human perception, many of which have direct applications to magic, are covered in one of my favorite non-magic books, 'Mind Hacks'.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Strange Eyes Phenomenon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL