We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I'm still trying to make a wood bucket.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I suppose you have alreqdy invested much time and energy, so I would not think of suggesting that one consider the use of a plastic bucket covered in faux wood grain sticky paper!
Bad Kay!

I am sure that there are cooperages in your area somewhere who might be able to lend a hand or let you watch if need be, however my cap is off to you for taking such a devoted interest in your craft! I mean it, really, there are not many who would go to the trouble, so you will know that when you complete this you will have a truly unique item, and one you can well be proud of!
DO be sure to post up a photo when you get it done!
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
Going back to the idea of a garden/hardware store, I just took a regular old gardening bucket, measured the inside diameter, and cut a m***** and cut out three pieces for the top, some hinges, hook lock(s) and a handle, and, voila, a magic prop. A very easy project, and it holds even a large rabbit. Plus it looks REAL, not like a phony prop only seen at a magic show. People are used to seeing one in the hardware store or in their own gardens. Mine has horizontal metal bands around it which holds the wooden slats in place. I cut the mirror myself (from my days as a glass cutting picture framer). The cost was low and the payoff great.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Well, here's my update. My bits and taper-jig came in from Rockler; however, we've been having a pretty nasty heat-wave, so I doubt I'll be out in the woodshop until things cool down a bit. In fact, it's 98 degrees (it's 10:17pm ringht now). Today's high was 114 with 21% humidity! I guess I could have gone with making a barrel as this humidity and heat would allow me to sweat and bend the planks!

I hope to start on this soon and will post a link for all to see the pictures and procedures involved!

-Bryan Gilles
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
21% humidity???

If we had 21% humidity here, the cows would be giving powdered milk!! Take a week in July to come to Alabama to experience 100 degree weather with 100% humidity. You can write your name in the air.

Try spraying lacquer in that!! Smile

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I'm with you Michael... There's no such thing as 21% humidity... It's an urban legend!

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
You guys must be thinking of "absolute humidity"! And yes, 21% AH would be unheard of!

In this case, I'm talking of the humidity level you'd find in your local weather reports. (There are many types of humidity)

Not to be a "know-it-all", it's not urban legend!

In fact, right now we are at 29% humidity.

A huge portion of my wild-land firefighting courses and personal experience is based on weather and how it effects the way a fire travels in the wilderness due to the thermal belts, cloud formations, and various terrains found in our forests. In a round-about way, you both are correct in your theories! One thing we always have to evaluate; on an hour-to-hour basis, is current relative humidity levels. (RH is The amount of water vapor in the air at any given time is usually less than that required to saturate the air. The relative humidity is the percent of saturation humidity, generally calculated in relation to saturated vapor density.) In laymen's terms, it indicates how moist the air is. In my field of work, if the humidity is high, the less likely the fuel is to dry and ignite; however, it can also bring lightning- which results in more fires! It's a catch twenty-two!

That's my free-lesson for the day! Close your books and be sure to study for tomorrow's exam!!!

Anyway, we are getting off track! Has anyone been attempting to build any wooden buckets yet?

-Bryan Gilles
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
We're in Mississippi and Alabama. Believe us, there is no such thing as 21 percent humidity of any sort, is there, Michael?

;)

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Well, I'm a bit late here, but I've been following this thread and I just noticed that I've had a book all along which tells exactly how to do this! It's called "The Theater Props Handbook", written by Thurston James. It's a great general source on this kind of stuff, and most of it is very applicable in magic prop building. The bucket they show how to build is actually a butter churn, but they explain the math behind the angles, how to use X number of sides, etc. I found this and they make it look so easy that now I want to make a bucket!

Phil
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2006-07-24 06:47, amosmc wrote:
We're in Mississippi and Alabama. Believe us, there is no such thing as 21 percent humidity of any sort, is there, Michael?

;)

Amos McCormick

Sorry it took so long to respond... I usually go comatose when the temperature and the humidity are both in the upper 90's, as it has been here in Alaba-Viet Nam. Over the last two months I have been having to wait about 2-3 weeks for a coat of paint to cure enough that I can mask and drop in another color layer without everything peeling away. I have ruined and had to restart several projects this summer... worst ever.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I'm still trying to make a wood bucket.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL