The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Locksmiths (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Hi, I know this has nothing to do with the subject of escapology so I apologise,

I am decisding what to do with my life, I am either going to stay on at college and then university or I am going to get an aprenitiship as a locksmith, although there are no formal qualifiations here in England for it, is it a good trade to get into? Also is it an exiting jod, or at least interesting, and are appreticeships easily available,

also if there is anyone in the North East of England area could you let me know just so I can PM you about some things regarding this issue,

thanks for reading.
Mozart
View Profile
New user
Rochester, MN
80 Posts

Profile of Mozart
Becoming a full-fledged locksmith can be an expensive undertaking. Figure at least $15,000 to set yourself up with the most basic tools of the trade. If you're interested in trying the business on for size, I'd recommend that you start by learning the automotive lockout trade. The learning curve is quite small. Most technicians can get the basics over a weekend. The outlay for tools is less than $200 and in many locations, you don't even need a license. I began doing this in a city of 12,000 people and within a year, had completely taken over the market. The average price for a lockout runs about $50 U.S. Of this you have your advertising expenses and little else. Do two or three a day and you're well on your way to setting yourself up with a comfortable business with no inventory.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
If you are looking to map out your future then I think leaving the UK would be a good option to start with.

Ken
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
The "lucrative-ness" of locksmithing depends on the market area. During my locksmithing studies, they kept repeating one thing...there will always be a need for locksmithgs. However, you must take into consideration that some markets will allow for employees within a locksmithing company to specialize in certain areas (auto lock-out, re-keying, home security, business security, etc.). Other markets will not allow for the specialization within a company, and all employees are expected to take part in every specialization. I wasn't hired at a locksmithing company because the owner didn't feel comfortable with requiring me to be on-call for those late night auto lock outs. With my current job, I am actually pursuing detention facility security, although, working with safes is intriguing, but has little application with my "day" job.

My advice would be to continue your education, and if you are sincerely interested in locksmithing, do what many college students do...part-time employment.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
james_unlimited
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
223 Posts

Profile of james_unlimited
Hello, I was contemplating starting my own business, start up costs can be around £5000 in the uk, as you can work from a van. I live in Leeds which has a large student community... thus always gettin locked out, or their houses being broken into.
so it is a possibility, but think of the pluses and minuses

J
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
I AM a Locksmith. Been doing it for over 25 years. I have a shop and you need to think long and hard if you are starting from scratch. Costs could go through the roof! Even if you work as a mobile locksmith, you'll need to carry a stock of replacement locks, key cutting equipment, blank keys, spare parts, etc. Think of what you'd need to spend if you set up a shop. I have 13 key cutting machines for the different styles of keys we have here in the UK.

Then there are the tools. If you want to do the whole thing, houses, businesses, cars, etc, you could almost fill the van with tools alone!

My best advice..check out professional locksmith training courses, and work with an established company for at least 2 years to get hands on experience. You can't complete a training course and next day go "On the road" as a locksmith. This is the biggest misconception that I regularly come across.

Finally, after all this, if you still want to do it, PLEASE.....Not in my area!!!!
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
Several universities have a locksmith on staff. If you check it out you may be able to apprentice under him. This would allow you to stay in school and learn the trade at the same time. Side bonus of being the locksmith on campus is all the girls who lock themselves out of their dorm rooms in the middle of the night. Your the only guy they let in the building.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Quote:
On 2006-06-13 10:48, mrmystic wrote:
Several universities have a locksmith on staff. If you check it out you may be able to apprentice under him. This would allow you to stay in school and learn the trade at the same time. Side bonus of being the locksmith on campus is all the girls who lock themselves out of their dorm rooms in the middle of the night. Your the only guy they let in the building.

Always thinking!
You are right, I am an ex-locksmith and yes you get to go where most people can't. Especially in Banks.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
locksmithempire
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of locksmithempire
Hi I'm Dor Ben Hamo the business owner. I'm in the locksmith business for 6 years in that time I learned a lot of this business I'm very good at what I'm doing. but I know that a lot of people feel scared today to call to professional home service. cause they don't know who is going to show up there is a lot of unfair professinals.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2824 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2006, nucinud wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-13 10:48, mrmystic wrote:

Always thinking!
You are right, I am an ex-locksmith and yes you get to go where most people can't. Especially in Banks.

Isaac Asimov had a series of short mysteries called "The Black Widowers Club." One member of the club was a writer who would occasionally come in talking about an idea he has for a story. One such idea was a world-wide conspiracy of locksmiths! (Only the top 1%, of course) These guys can get into any place and open any lock! To join, you have to present a top secret document you stole out of some secure area. He never mentions it again, but it seemed like a cool idea.
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16363 Posts

Profile of tommy
"As with all craft trades at the time locksmiths apprenticed boys for training.
They were often badly treated and worked a 14 or 16-hour day suffering
humped backs from bending over benches from a young age. These
deformities earned Willenhall the nickname "Humpshire".

"In Willenhall the children are shamefully and most cruelly beaten with a
horsewhip, strap, stick, hammer-handle or whatever tool is nearest to
hand, or are struck with the clenched fist or hand". (1843 Children's
Employment Commission)"

https://www.eraeverywhere.com/globalasse......tory.pdf

We live in the Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield, home of the owners, which is not far from Willenhall.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Locksmiths (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL