We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Shadow boxes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
I just wanted to kow homw many different shadow boxs you have seen. since this trick seems to be a classic illusion I would like to know the different styles such as mi****s and T****
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
The shadow box is one of those illusions that the only thing to hold you back from building one, is your imagination! Just about anything you can picture, you can make into a shadow box...
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I built one but used a BA principle. Its very effective and you don't have the worry of the m*****s getting dirty or broken. Still the same effect. Also a much smaller base and box.
Mark Daniel
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I built one using the original basic idea, as shown in Tarbell. Same thing Henning used. I was lucky enough to find some frames made of square steel tubing, and started with that as a foundation. I used white fabric for all panels except the front, which was butcher paper. It was the only panel that was torn during performance.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
Can you please give me a link or a source onto where to get Tarbell books.
I was thinking about makeing a shadow box that is a triangular shape that is perched ontop of a rectangular box that is open toward the audianc using m*****s in the box to hide where I am.
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
The power of a shadowbox is that is does not need m*****s!!!!!!!!! Smile)
DO NOT use m*****s in a shadowbox, use those for another illusion that you can't do without but pleeeeaaaasssseee not in a shadowbox. Smile)
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
It was going to be used in the shadow box. It was going to be used like a rabbit box, so I can become virtually "invisible". I really can not do anything else because I can't afford a base to use in this illusion. All though I have had some ideas of using a modern cabinet type of way.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Call a GOOD magic shop. Ask them what volume of Tarbell contains the illusion you are looking for. BUY THE BOOK!!!

You do not need m######, nor do you need an illusion base (in the typical sense of the term). You DO need to broaden your magical knowledge.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
BAN
View Profile
New user
NJ
26 Posts

Profile of BAN
Quote:
On 2006-06-14 16:18, Michael Baker wrote:
Call a GOOD magic shop. Ask them what volume of Tarbell contains the illusion you are looking for. BUY THE BOOK!!!

You do not need m######, nor do you need an illusion base (in the typical sense of the term). You DO need to broaden your magical knowledge.

you don't even need a base! Is that for one new version or for them all? No m###### either! Hmmm.. I'm stumped. I need to go get Tarbell's Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It is for the oldest, simplest, and one of the most effective versions. It will cost you a fraction of what most of the others do. I did see a B/A version that may be cheaper to construct, but I still think the original is cleaner.

I first saw Doug Henning do it, and it killed me. It is much older than that, though.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
I thought about combinding andrew maynes spectre cabinet and a modern cabinet. that way I can appear on stage throught the shadow world. then bring my assistance in threw the means of an old version of things that go bump in the nite. then vanish back into the shadow realm and appear under the third "thing" I think I 'll go with this method. but I still need some good illusion books such as tarbell.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Nothing wrong with your idea. If you are happy with it, go for it! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
I think what Ban is trying to say is for a shadow box, you normally don't use mirrors, B/A, or a base. ALl you need is a edge or lip around the shadow box. If you are thinking otherwise, then you probably don't know how a shadow box truely works and need to do some more resaerch........

Take care,

Bryan
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
The Illusion is called "The Girl From The Light" By David Bamberg (Fu Manchu)
It's in Tarbell #4 Page #413. The Tarbell course is a great set to own !!
David
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2006-06-30 19:07, dlcmagic wrote:
The Illusion is called "The Girl From The Light" By David Bamberg (Fu Manchu)
It's in Tarbell #4 Page #413. The Tarbell course is a great set to own !!
David

Thanks David! I don't have the book on hand anymore, so I could not recall which volume it was in.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
I believe that "Girl from the Light" also has blueprints in the Byron Wels book, "Great Illusions of Magic."

-David
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
And as stated before it only limited to your imagination...Copperfield uses one built by Bill Smith to open his shows to this very day! He appears on a motorcycle
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
I under stand the workings of the illusion but I would like to be able to show the illusion surrounded I don't realy know that many magicians who could do a shadow box surrounded without the using stooges.
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
When you use mirrors it is NOTTTTTT a Shadowbox!!! Smile
Please be careful with what you do.
When you want to perform an appearance surrounded you better look for something else.
Like Crystal Box or Blammo Box... Tip Over Trunks also cannot be performed surrounded.... Perhaps you could pm me with what you want to make appear.. I am very proud of my plans-collection and I must have something just right for you...
EVI
Sandwichical
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
134 Posts

Profile of Sandwichical
I built Andrew Mayne's Specter Cabinet a couple of months ago. It's cheep and simple to make, just one of the PVC pieces is rather difficult to find. I spray painted the pipes metallic silver, and I had plans of running wires all along the prop and attach LEDs, but ran out of time(this would also subtract from it's ability to come apart and pack small, or at least make it more difficult).
-Sandwich
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Shadow boxes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL