The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Striking Vanish Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I am concerned about my SV. It works just fine for the vanishing of a pen cap from my finger tips(ala Recap), but I notice the ring(or coin) "floating" across/off the palm when I vanish these objects from the palm of my hand. I don't know if a spec would notice it, but I definitely see it when I look down at it, and I see it when I watch myself in the mirror(which is closer to what the spec would see).

Suggestions?

Thanks
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
I usualy hold the object above the hand like in recap and combind it with a quick oppening of my hands. + it really happens to fast for anyone out of this art can't catch
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I was noticing the same thing, so I just turned up the speed a little. Anyway, worked for me!

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Jimmy Y
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Y
Try to keep your hands a little close together, speed it also an important factor.

Check out this strike vanish done by Cyril Takayama, at around 3:26 of the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R6nh4pg9......20shingo
Nice to meet you Smile
Jimmy
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Do a search at the Café. We've had whole threads regarding how obvious this move seems to the performer.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This vanish should be done with a short wand or a pen. If you use a full length wand, do the strike with the center of the wand, not the far end.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
All: Thanks for the thoughts

Jimmy: I can't access that video know, but it is probably the one I had watched previously - it looked good, but then relatively low-res videos cover a multitude of sins Smile. In that, Cyril seems to quickly move the left hand up then down, and then grabs the ring. I may need to work on the movement of the left hand as much as I work on that of the right.

I don't want to practice the wrong thing, but you really can't slow down the SV too much and have it still work(unless we went to a place with a smaller "g" value)

Josh: yes, I've seen some of those comments. I won't know whose right till I start doing this for non-magi

Bill: I've notice the impact of the length, maybe I will go to a slightly smaller wand for getting the timing and hand motion worked out.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
John,
what I found is that when doing the SV from palm the movements have lessened considerably.
It almost becomes a Zen type thing where where the coin just ... well vanishes.

I've also played with horizontal, sweeping type movements rather than vertical, up and down ones.

You may aslo want to try laying the coin on a finger rather than palm. A slight movement of the finger can actually help propel.

Best to ya,
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
I agree that the SV is a risky move sometimes, but it can be effective with a lot of practice. I'm not sure it's the best technique for vanishes though. Personally I think it's more effective in other applications, like coin through drinking glass, or, the best application I've ever seen, is in a segment on Garrett Thomas's Ring Thing DVD (great dvd btw). The ring's apparent jump onto your finger is the most perfect misdirection I've ever seen for the SV. I think Greg Wilson uses it for a similar effect on his On The Spot dvd as well.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Striking Vanish Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL