The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Folding Chair Suspension (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

Profile of magicalmischief
Does anyone know where I can find plans to build the Chair suspension? And if you have built your own set, how easy is it to construct and estimated cost?

thanks
Seems to me that death is just natures way of telling us to SLOW DOWN!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
The primary plans I am aware of for the chair suspension are in The Harbin Book, which is extremely rare and expensive when found. Other than that, I haven't heard of any.

Michael
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I posted the same question here awhile ago, and the consensus seemed to be that it was better and safer to go with a known brand. Dennis Michael has a great writeup on levitations, and if you PM him I am sure he will be happy to send it to you. He discusses the ins and outs of using a chair levitation, and after you read it I think you will abandon your plans and shell out $300 or so for a good one.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-06-13 17:34, Marvello wrote:
I posted the same question here awhile ago, and the consensus seemed to be that it was better and safer to go with a known brand.

I agree. Making a folding chair that is strong enough to do the job will result in a " gaffed " looking chair and possible cost more than the real illusion. Modifying a real chair would be dangerous. Shell out the doe for quality version and you'll be glad you did.

Best,

Tim
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
All the Secrets of Magic Revealed by Herbert L. Becker, show how the Chair Suspension works. You could figure out how to build it from those drawings.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I disagree- that book does not a set of plans, and it is not even a very good magic book, IMO. I think if you are going to be "floating" any birthday kids then you had better have a "pro" model, and not something you whipped up in your garage. Little kids are pretty delicate, and I would hate to see gravity have it's way with anyone at a magic show.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
You have a good point there! For the $450 average cost of the effect, it is better to be safe than sorry. I own one and can see how to build it, but would not do so.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I believe that it is Kyle Peron (Magic4U02) that has the free e-book about the chair suspension, not Dennis Michael.

Cafe thread titled... Free E-Book on Per......for Kids

and another thread by the same title, from a different area of the Café:

Cafe thread titled... Free E-book on Per......spension

- Donald

P.S. Another thread from The Workshop area, where someone asked this same question previously: Cafe thread titled... Chair suspension?
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
DOH- you are right - I made that post while needing sleep.. sorry Kyle!
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
I had Built My own chair suspension It cost me almost $100.00 us dollars.... It took some time and a good welder to make the Gimmick. The cloth wasn't the easiest to make..... In the end it works great and is the same quality as one that is bought.... However if I was to do it again I would just Buy One... So much easier and for the couple of hundred dollars you save It is not worth the time and effort.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Again- simply knowing how the trick works does not mean it is a good or efficient idea when constructing an illusion of this nature, due to the fact that you could easily hurt someone while "floating" them if the chairs are constructed improperly, and there is only one way to find that out, and it is not the easy way.

ps- I hate wikipedia for that kind of exposure. magic secrets do not need to be in an encyclopedia of knowledge that anyone can surf up, or add to, or edit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Folding Chair Suspension (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL