The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » If you have a Flipper Coin, READ THIS! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lucas Walker
View Profile
Regular user
Missouri
125 Posts

Profile of Lucas Walker
Yes, read this flipper coin owners. I had one that I received from a magic shop broken. I had to fix it (replace rubberband and re-attach). I cannot stress enough how important it is that you don't use rubber cement. Mine just came off, and now I'm going to have to scrape it off the smaller piece before I can re-attach anything. I'm not sure what a better solution is, but I highly "un-recommend" rubber cement. Best of luck to you.
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Lucas;
Rather than scraping and possibly scratching your coin, you might try "rubber cement thinner". It is a solvent for rubber cement. It will clean things up quite well. It is available at art supply stores.
Jim
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Lucas,

Sorry to hear about your trouble. If you spread rubber cement thinly and evenly it should work just fine. If you use a permanent glue rather than rubber cement, it will be harder for you to replace the rubber band once it breaks (because you'll have to take it apart anyway).

Tony
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Denver
614 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
I use what is know as Fun-Tak (putty used for attaching pictures/poster to walls). Comes in assorted colors available at any office supply store. Does not leave a residue and it holds really well ...
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
AKA "Blue Tack", "Tie Puts", etc....
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Rubber cement can be removed with naphtha which is what rubber cement thinner really is. Naphtha is available at paint and hardware stores. It's cheaper than the "official" thinner. Be somewhat cautious when using it as it (and its fumes) are highly flammable.

Sid Smile
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
magiclee
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of magiclee
I use carpet tape.

magiclee
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2834 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
A good friend who uses a flipper quite a bit uses a GEL type superglue. He says that the insert can be pried out fairly easily for a band change. DO NOT use regular superglue, however. You risk that you'll damage the coin in getting the insert out.

Mike
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
For keeping a band in the grooves try using white school glue. It worked for Karl Norman.

I just hold my flipper together with Scotch clear doublestick tape. It doesn't come apart unless I want it to. Make sure that the surfaces are clean and smooth before applying the tape.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » If you have a Flipper Coin, READ THIS! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL