The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » June Newsletter from Mark and Tami (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
An open Newsletter from the President of KIDabra International

June Greetings,
We hope your summer shows are many! I, like many of you, have been crazy busy the last few weeks developing and launching my summer library show season. The program is now up and running and it's starting to feel right. I was talking with Ken Scott about this and we both always look forward to and simultaneously dread that first program. We know later in the summer it will be awesome and that first one not as much so.

The 15th Anniversary of KIDabra Conference is shaping up as an astounding event with the charming KIDshow superstar Trevor Lewis with us from Wales (one of Children's Magic most creative and prolific thinkers), the fun and creative Steve Axtell in from California, Jozo Bozo from Croatia with his Live Kidshow, Ken Scott's Live Library show, the return of the funniest Dealer's Show around with Scott Francis, more incredible Break-out choices, Terry Evanswood and Barry Mitchell together again in one amazing lecture and an entire evening of Birthday Party Magic featuring a who's who from the kidshow world. Just some of the Don't You Dare Miss - Once in a Lifetime highlights you'll only find one place this summer- KIDabra Conference! Register Today, make your hotel and travel plans and you're all set to be a part of the KIDshow Superstars! Complete info at kidabra.com

Take a moment also and join KIDabra International and receive the terrific new KIDabra Journal: The Voice of the KIDshow World six times a year, a free website, special discounts from dealers for KI members only, membership card and be a part of a new KIDabra Chapter in your area! We can't wait to have you be a part!

KI News Bits in this issue - Sammy Smith "The Power of Being Published" added to Marketing Day and the Audio CD Album, 2 New KI Chapters get their charter, Mark and Tami attend KI Chapter 1 meeting, Read The KIDabra Story in Magic Magazine and more!

Congratulations:
We officially welcome 2 new Chapters as of this writing:
Chapter #2 Raleigh - Durham (NC) officially signed their Charter application Sunday June 11, our thanks to Skip Way and Tate Elliott for their hard work on this.

Los Angeles Chapter #5 completed the Charter Application on June 7th. Thanks to Todd Brown as the driving force behind the formation of KIDabra LA.
Congratulations to both new Chapters!

Magic Magazine - August issue features KIDabra
A feature article about KIDabra celebrating it's 15th anniversary will appear in the August issue of Magic Magazine. Written by David Kaye, he spent hours interviewing me and tons of time writing, researching and fact checking. There is much to the KIDabra story being told publicly for the first time. Sitting and reading the first draft, even I found it fascinating. Issues hit the stands at magic shops in late July, watch for it. Subscriptions at magicmagazine.com

Mark and Tami Visit KI Chapter #1 in South Jersey
Tami and I along with Robert and Stephen have just returned from a wonderful trip up north to Pennsylvania. We stayed with Tami's brother and his family and were thrilled to spend time with their new baby Matthew. Our reason for the trip was schools programs for me at an elementary school just north of Philadelphia on Monday June the 5th. This would end my school tour for the year. However it also provided us with the opportunity to visit KI Chapter #1 in Atco, New Jersey the evening before on Sunday June 4th. Tami and I were thrilled to be warmly received as honorary members. The chapter currently meets in the home theatre/magic room of our very talented webmaster and Chapter Development Coordinator Dennis Michael.

We were assured from the get go that nothing special was changed for us, just the regular meeting format for the evening. The reason I mention this is that the entire evening was designed like a mini KIDabra conference, educational and fun. Along with the 13 members present Tami and I had a blast folding handkerchiefs into mice led by John Bobik and learning chink a chink with marbles from Den, and we watched a short video (10 minutes, perfect length). I shared a book review on Edwin's Magic book set, Donna Horn presented an original kidshow routine called Party Animals and shared her wonderfully magical Cupcake bouquet that had Tami taking notes. Donna in addition to being a magician is a culinary artist of international repute having designed the inauguration cake for George H.W. Bush (a replica resides in the American History museum of the Smithsonian, the first inauguration cake so honored). She's also made all kinds of magical cakes including one for David Copperfield.

Then we took a break to socialize and we felt somewhat embarrassed of the fuss made over us on this first visit. There were many gifts to treasure from the club, presented by Den and Donna. Tami and I had to rush off right after as I had an early show morning ahead the next day, but not before sharing the way my school show was packed in the van. Stuff that would only be of interest to... hey people like us! It was a sensational evening and Tami remarked as we pulled away that she really enjoyed it, that's big! Our thanks to all of Chapter #1 for making us feel part of the family. If you are anywhere in the vicinity please make it a point to attend and see for yourself, it really is that good!!!!! Meeting info from Dennis at [email]DennisMichael@MagicalBirthdayParty.com[/email] or 856-753-4794.

KI Journal News
Folks are buzzing and saying nice things about the KIDabra Journal. Issue 4 will be mailing shortly and in addition to our regular columnists you'll have an exclusive in depth look at KIDabra staff/KGB at the White House with articles and pictures. Found nowhere else but the KIDabra Journal!

More great things ahead for the Journal as we welcome Tate Elliot on board as Story Editor and Roger (Skip) Way as Features Editor. Building feature content in the magazine is one of our next major goals and wait till you see Skips ideas come to print, Wow!

More News
Optional Marketing Sessions Tuesday Evening August and all Day Wednesday August 16th
Sammy Smith The Power of Being Published - Realize the powerful benefits of being published when you turn your ideas into a book. The powerful benefits include increased credibility as a speaker and performer and a new source of profits from book sales. Your published work may also be one of the most effective booking tools you'll ever use. In this workshop, Sammy Smith shows how to move your book from a good idea to a great finished product! As the author of nine published books, the editor of over 20 other titles, and the owner of SPS Books, a book creation and publishing company, Sammy is uniquely qualified to teach you about the power of being published. Don't miss it!

Marketing Sessions start Tuesday evening and continuing throughout the day on Wednesday. Learn from new lectures by Sammy, Steve Snyder, Eddy Wade, Jim Snack, Greg McMahan, and BJ Hickman and more. Marketing sessions include your lunch on Wednesday and are only $99.95.

Optional Gospel Magic and Learning Day - Wednesday, August 16th
Yes, I'm interested. Should I attend this optional event?
1. Yes, because the TOP names in Gospel and moral message magic will be there and are speaking.
2. Yes, because the combination of philosophy, skill, and diversity of talent you'll meet is worth twice the price.
3. Yes, because the products and educational materials you'll see are the ones being used by the best Gospel entertainers around the world.
4. Yes, because our society needs performers with high moral standards and positive messages. You'll learn how to fill that need in a better way after attending Gospel Day.
If this speaks to you, then make plans now for a special day of education. Join Steve Varro, Duane Laflin, Nathan J. Roberts, Barry Mitchell and Tim Sonefelt for a day of inspiration, ideas and routines. Gospel Magic and Learning Day includes your lunch on Wednesday and is only $74.95

KIDabra Audio CD Album 2006 On Sale

Can't attend, then listen to part of the conference...
Own an instant collectible - 8 KIDabra sessions recorded live on Audio CD.
Relive the lectures for years to come. Importantly, no albums are sold after the convention as we give each lecturer who participates their master recording at the completion of the project.

This year we're upgrading to printed CDs, no more paper labels and Nathan Roberts joins Tim Sonefelt as your sound engineering team to make the live recordings happen!

FAQ's-
Do you record the entire conference?
No, as there is so much that happens at KIDabra, much of which is visual, not lending itself well to recording. We select the optimal listening sessions.

What do I get?
An album with 8 Audio CD recordings of lectures and sessions recorded live as they happen at KIDabra on one or 2 CDs as needed. Our mission is for folks there to have the album to take with them Saturday night before them leave.

Don't forget CD's are so easy to listen to now - Personal CD Players with headphones are available at Wal Mart for under twenty dollars. Add a cassette car adapter for twenty more and play them in the car (that's what I do), also in boom boxes with CD players, the CD ROM drive on your computer and most DVD players will play audio CD's (although CDs do not sound good in all DVD players).

This is a fabulous opportunity to relive and continue to learn from KIDabra for years to come. Plus you never have to rewind.

Who's on the Recordings?
1. An Evening of Birthday Party Magic!
2. Bruce Amato, Tim Sonefelt and Barry Mitchell: Character Counts Seminar
3. Duane Laflin 15th Anniversary Lecture
4. David Kaye Running Gags
5. Trevor Lewis: An Afternoon of Party Pieces.
6. Sammy Smith The Power of Being Published
7. Jozo Bozo's Live Kidshow
8. TBR: As permissions are secured.

How Much?
For KIDabra Attendees, the KIDabra Audio Album is only $99.95 pre-ordered and pre-purchased, delivered to you at the conclusion of KIDabra 2006.
You can also purchase the Album at KIDabra for $110.00

Important Note: Due to the arrangements with our speakers no Audio CD Album sets will be sold after the conference, so they are available in advance or at KIDabra only.

If you can't be with us and would like to purchase a set as a Remote Registrant you may for only $145.00 plus $5.00 shipping in the US. (Additional shipping for other countries) Remote registrants must place their order in advance of the conference and please allow at least 2 to 3 weeks after KIDabra to receive your Album.

Friday Afternoon Breakouts
Much positive feedback on the excellent Friday afternoon break-out session choices this year with folks wondering how they can only pick 2? Nice problem to have!
Join Marty and Brenda Hahne with "My Four Favorite Show Openers" along with Steve Kissell: Games and Contests for Kids, Greg McMahan: Warming Up the Audience, Mike Bent: The Worst Case Scenario Survival Guide for Kidshows How to Deal with Common Kidshow Problems, Carol Collins: Bingo's Bubble Mania Breakout and Rick Hubbard: An All Kazoo Breakout.

PICTURES…GET YOUR PICTURES with Rob Erdmann!
Bring your performing costumes to KIDabra this year. We have a kid show savvy photographer lined up to help you with your promotional pictures. Rob Erdmann attended KIDabra last year for the first time to learn about performing for kids. He took several excellent pictures of the performers during their lectures. Many of them are shown in the KIDabra storybook. Rob will be returning this year with his studio lighting equipment and several backdrops to take promotional pictures for you.

Rob has extensive training in the area of photography which includes attending Rock Valley College, Winona Institute of Professional Photography, Northwestern University Traffic Institute for basic and advanced crime scene photography and correspondence classes through the New York Institute of Photography.

The price for a session is only $100. Sessions can last up to half an hour and multiple backdrops can be used. At the end of the session you get all of the pictures in jpeg format on a CD and a copyright release so you can use the pictures in any way you like. All Rob asks is that you sign a model release so he can use your images in his promotional materials. This is a tremendous value!

Rob is also very good with manipulating images in Adobe Photoshop. If you need any special effects done with your pictures, Rob can do it for you. If you need graphics work, Rob can help you with creating promotional brochures, DVD covers, business cards or whatever else you need. Rob designed two of Barry Mitchell's soon to be released DVD covers. If you would like to see the DVD covers send Rob an e-mail requesting them and he'll send pictures of the covers to you.

If you would like to see samples of Rob's photography work go to http://rberdmann.home.insightbb.com and click on the photos tab. If you have any questions or special requests you can contact Rob by leaving an e-mail message at roberdmann@insightbb.com.

In the vendors room join Rob along with Axtell Expressions, Wacky Wolf Productions, Creativemagic.org, Barry Mitchell Products, Laflin Magic, SPS Publications (Sammy), The Riz, Joe Lefler, Cool Stuff Magic (t-shirts and stuff), Bruce Amato's Wiz Works, Dazzling Magic, The Magic Parlor, Dave Hill's Balloons and Clowns, Harry Allen and Daytona Magic, Tim Sonefelt's Wonder Imagery, Julian Franklin, Steve Kissell, Eddy Wade and more! A Kidshow Performers Super Candy Store!

More KIDabra International Association News
We have a fascinating Frequently Asked Questions Section on kidabra.com Here's a sampling:
What is the Code of Conduct for KIDabra International Members?
I pledge to promote and participate in the art and advancement of children's and family entertainment in a positive way. I will respect and protect the intellectual property of my fellow performers. I will never intentionally nor maliciously bring harm to the children I perform for.

How is my KIDabra International membership fee used?
Let's look at a domestic primary membership fee of $55.00 First, there is a one time $15.00 initiation fee which helps cover materials and equipment, membership cards, postage, printing, etc. Second $20.00 is for The Journal which covers design, printing, labor and postage. Finally from the remaining $20.00 the fees of the Corporation, the attorney and accountant who oversee it, taxes, equipment and insurance are purchased. Currently Mark and Tami receive no salary or compensation although they're not opposed to it. They project upon attainment of somewhere between two and three thousand members they will receive a small salary, and/or hire a staff member to assist in the daily association administration of duties.
Check out more FAQ's at kidabra.com

Association Flyer Available For You!
The number one request you've made is this - Please provide us with something to give folks when we're out and about to explain KIDabra International to other perspective members. Done!

Now travel armed with the new KI Association Flyer and Application. Designed by Lorrie Slate (a mom of 11 year old identical twins!) of Madison Avenue South Designs, the flyer is a wonderful tool for you to share at club meetings, lectures, conferences, and Chapter Charter formations. If you'd like to print out a few yourself you can. Go to kidabra.com and click on Association then click on KIDabra Flyer. (PDF file)

Also we'll have physical copies available to you by snail mail as well, just call or e mail Tami at 336-492-7870 and/or kidabraconf@aol.com and we'll get some right out to you. (A tip - We've found that actually presenting these to folks with a verbal invitation works the best as opposed to laying them on a table with many other flyers during events.) Thank you for your help with this and our thanks to Barry Mitchell for his ideas and input on this project.

KIDabra Journal for Members
The KIDabra Journal is jam-packed full of great info reviews, commentary, ideas, routines and material for our industry from Bruce Amato, Tim Sonefelt, Tommy Johns, Barry Mitchell, David Kaye, Bruce Bray, Ken Scott, Dennis Michael and a couple of guys named Sammy and Mark with from Skip and more.
If you want to write for or advertise in the Journal contact Sammy or Mark at spspub@aol.com or kidabraconf@aol.com and we'll get you the details.

New and Improved! Expanded KI Member's Free Website
Place A Different Picture on Each Page!
Now create your own 6 page website with a different picture on every page. Easy as pie using the template. If you can type and click you can do it. Set up your website and see examples at kidabra.com and click on Free Websites (Membership number required for setup) This service for KIDabra International Members is worth more than the cost of your yearly dues. We were the first in our industry to offer this free member service, now other associations follow. We didn't even know we were cutting edge:>)

New KI Members are joining every day from across the USA and many parts of the world. We'd love for you to be a part of this amazing association too!

Chapters - please send your meeting reports for the Journal to Sammy as a word document the address is spspub@aol.com

If you are working to set up your Chapter, please direct Chapter questions to Chapter Development Coordinator Dennis Michael. He is eager and ready to help at DennisMichael@MagicalBirthdayParty.com or 856-753-4794. Also, if you have not sent in your Chapter Charter, signed by 7 members, please do so. This will make you official and Tami will assign you a Chapter #. Thanks!

Join KIDabra International Today!
To join KIDabra International go to kidabra.com and click on Membership. We'd love to have you be a part of A Group for Us! A Place for Us!

More Conference Info

Optional- KIDabra goes to Terry Evanswood's Grand Illusion Show
Saturday August 19th, 10:00 AM (Optional Ticket charge, special discounted rate for KIDabra $16.00 (regularly $20.00) and kids 12 and under $10.00 Tickets available at the Country Tonite Theatre)

This year in August, being only 2 blocks from The Country Tonight Theatre, KIDabra goes to see Terry on his 10th Anniversary in Pigeon Forge. Also celebrating partnering 20 years with his chief assistant Tammy, he's pulling out the stops with all new material, combined with some of the best loved routines long since retired from the early years. As an optional event, during the conference we're taking time for the entire group to go over and see the show. It's a lesson in everything right about performing and a lesson of the essence of KIDabra! It's a Feature Don't You Dare Miss Event! We did this 5 years ago and it remains one of the most incredible and talked about KIDabra events ever!

The Music Road Hotel Complex
We've got some impressive new digs next year for the conference in Pigeon Forge.
The whole complex is just a few years old and is gorgeous! Great rooms, on property water parks- pools, indoor and outdoor, water slides, lazy river and more, coupled with an excellent free continental breakfast each morning make for a great whole family treat. We'll be housed in both the Music Road Hotel and the Inn with the conference center between. (if you need high speed wired Internet request the Inn.) The Inn is only a few steps further from the free standing conference center, the Hotel is best if you have special needs, also half of the rooms at the Hotel overlook the river. If the whole family is coming pick the inn for the most water activities, although no matter which building you're in you have full access. The complex is located at Traffic light 1 in Pigeon Forge in a quiet cul de sac just off the main drag. Surrounding it for a mile in every direction are restaurants to please every taste and that huge Wal-Mart in Sevierville is only 4 or 5 minutes drive, not to mention every outlet store known to man. Rooms in the KIDabra block are only $89.00 per night for 2 queen beds. (This special conference rate off regular rate of up to $119.00) (Suites available at a higher rate.) Call Music Road Toll Free at 866-615-6353 and tell them you're with KIDabra. Every room night counts toward our reserved block and makes the conference possible. Also you can make reservations on-line at musicroadhotel.com Click on Reservations, then click on Group Blocks, then enter our unique KIDabra code 6440-6597 (for the hotel) or 6440-6598 (for the inn) Take a moment and make your reservation today!

Airport Shuttle during Conference:
Rocky Top Tours continues to be the official shuttle of KIDabra running from the McGee-Tyson Airport in Knoxville to the Music Road Hotel in Pigeon Forge. Reservations at 1-877-315-8687. Full details and costs at kidabra.com click on Travel Info.

We continue to update kidabra.com Keep Checking! Don't forget you can read past newsletters at the website to gain the full story of KIDabra! Have you been to the discussion forum lately? With over 5000 posts it is amazing! The depth of subjects there and the valuable info, make it priceless, check it out today at kidabra.com

Stay Tuned! We can't wait to see you next August or at your local KI Chapter meeting!

Mark & Tami Daniel

Posted by Dennis Michael, the KIDabra Chapter Coordinator
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » June Newsletter from Mark and Tami (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL