The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Arching the tail feathers? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magic_man, the only time it is necessary to trim the nails is if they get damaged. Once in a great while, they will tear a nail just like a human and you just have to trim it slightly to remove any jagged edges. This is rare but does occur. Other than that, the is no reason to trim the nails. As I mentioned above, I lightly use an emery board to dull the extreme edge of the nails so they don't get caught in fabrics.
Where the magic begins
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Thanks, Dave! I notice that we are often on the same page, too. The emery board is a good idea! Make sure your floor is not 100% covered with sandpaper. You probably know this already, Dave, but the birds will get tender feet if they have only sandpaper (or wire) on which to walk. (Since we are teaching a lot of magicians about birds I thought I would mention this.) I think PetSmart carries perches with sandpaper attached. Again, I would use them along with regular perches.

Magic_Man, Howard Hughes was a wealthy recluse who grew crazy-long toenails and fingernails in his reclusive days. A movie was made about his life starring Leonardo DiCaprio. Sometimes the birds get loooong toenails and this reminds me of ol' Howard.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Good point about the sandpaper. Yes, I have one perch with sandpaper and one that is plain. In the winter, I change one of the perches to a flat one so they can stretch and sit on their feet to keep them warm. For those, I just wrap a piece of sandpaper around the top and tack it underneath. I only cover half of the cage bottom with sandpaper. Pet shops sell packages of 10 or 12 precut sandpaper sheets and I just cut them down to size.
Where the magic begins
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Ok now I remember that movie. thanks you guys/ladies (thats for you morning star) you are so helpful.
-Aaron
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Dave, that is an excellent idea using a flat perch to keep their feet warm and letting them stretch! I understand birds can become crippled to one size perch and develop arthritis.

I have perches ranging from 1/2" to 1 1/4". My Germany-based birds are inside because of bird flu restrictions, so I don't worry about their feet getting cold. Geez, they are spoiled. I will keep the idea of using the flat perch for future outdoor perches!

This weekend I looked at 100 grams of mealworms squiggling in their plastic box. I paused, picked them up, put them in my cart, drove them around the bird food aisle, looked at them again, then put them back. ARG. Couldn't do it. Maybe next week. Ack!

And to magic_man (Aaron): Glad to help!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Yeah, the meal worms are the most appealing creatures in the universe.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Arching the tail feathers? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL