The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What Are Your Top 3 Comedy Magic Props? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
What Are Your TOP 3 Comedy Magic Props Used in Your Kid's Show? Add others YOU USE if you really like them.

• Breakaway Wand
  • Spring Snakes from Giant Wand (25 of them)
  • Comedy Faucet (Milk from Head)
Dennis Michael
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,

Wobbly wand from Warren Stevens

Breakaway wand

Timed delay wilting flowers from Warren Stevens

Phillip
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of jasper
Hello,
Mine are:

Breakaway wand
Card from mouth (giving the card gets the laugh)
Burning an adult's money

I realise the last two aren't props as such but they seem to get people going.
Smile
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
--Albert Einstein
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
This is not meant to take anything away from a successful children's entertainer like Dennis. (He phrased the question that way for simplicity's sake.) But props are just props. The magic— and the comedy— comes from the performer.

Dai Vernon using a breakaway wand in the middle of the cups and balls would not be funny— it would be pathetic. Carl Ballantine just walking onto a stage can be hilarious!

That aside, I get the most comedic reactions from wands: wobbly, nesting, bang, etc. Kids figure a "real" magician should have a magic wand; when the wand "acts up", they think it is hysterical!
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
I'm sure everybody realises that Peter.

Personally, my favourite props are an ugly giant scarf, an earmuff hat and a toilet plunger.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Every single thing I buy is a prop, some are bought with the intention of seeking out a laugh through presentation. The breakaway wand can be a disastrous prop if I use it to embarrass a child.

Is the Professor's Nightmare a trick, a prop, or three pieces of rope which cost about $20 bucks? (All three.) Is it funny— not at all, can it be funny— absolutely. Is it thought of as a comedy prop? NO.

Now the scissors in a cut and restored rope trick are a prop but they are considered a comedy prop because their usage generally is accepted as to bring about a laugh, without even speaking a word.

Card in mouth with slobber all over it, now that's a prop which is funny, no magic, taking a card from the mouth with all that ohhwee gooowee germs and dribbling slobber. The overall trick doesn't matter here. I love the concept!
Dennis Michael
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
#1 Wand gag, break away, plunger painted like a wand. A Barbie doll on the end of a wand (my magic blonde) and multiplying wands. I am looking for spring wands from a can. I think this would be good. I saw them once but can't recall where. :0(
#2 Rabbit in the hat (can't speak enough about this prop), this routine is full of funny props also like a box of dove soap (he produces a dove that's not a dove, it's a bar of soap— that's because he only does clean magic etc.)
#3 Hocus Pocus Hare, a sucker type trick...

As you can tell I need to add some more.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

One form of spring wands can be purchased from Barry Mitchell.

He also has a funny new change bag which looks like the udders of a cow.
Dennis Michael
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
1. Giant size toothbrush
2. Giant size comb
3. I use some music I edited as a comedy prop. It is playing from a CD I edited myself while I perform. There is a section of the music that starts to play slower & slower so it sounds like my battery is going flat. When I try to fix it the music starts going too fast and ends up playing double speed (like chipmunks). It is not difficult to use some audio editing software to make your own custom CD like this. Comedy props don't have to be visual.

I also think the cut no-cut sissors would be a great comedy prop even though I don't use them.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Silly Billy's wands, nest of wands, and real looking doughnuts that I sneeze out of my nose.

Ken
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Break away fan is great. Hand it to someone, count to one and listen to them roar with laughter.

Black hand gag. Ask someone to help you cook but first clean his hands. Watch the kids faces when you turn that towel around!

String of foam sausages after a good sponge ball routine, just stick the balls into a change bag and suggest you will try and vanish them only to have them change into these...sausages!

Anything that is really unexpected is funny.

So there are three but break-away wand, bang a plastic egg on your head and blow up a balloon only to have the darned thing fly out of your mouth all over the place will bring joy to all onlookers.
Marty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Marty
Hi:
1. Fishing Pole Wand
2. Rubber Chicken
3. Spring Snakes

Thanks, Marty
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
1.Break away wand
2.Multiplying wand
3.Giant funny glasses used for safety glasses when doing needle through balloon
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Really like Andrew's music "prop" of the slowing down then speeding up music. That must play very well. Magician in trouble syndrome. My top three comedy props to date:
1) My boxer shorts appearing where they shouldn't.
2) Plunger under a wizard hat
3) Break away wand / backward scissors (couldn't decide)
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Comedy wands for sure:
a) break away
b) jumbo tooth brush
c) jumbo scissors
d) plunger
e) etc.

Clothing accessories:
a) funny blindfolds
b) jumbo glasses
c) funny hats

Springs snakes for sure.

In my egg bag routine, a plastic chicken wing is produced.

For a rabbit routine, a cob-a-corn (half eaten) or a toy cob is produced.

cheers,

j.
eize
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of eize
Comedy wands, and the boxer shorts that appear from my trousers when the children pull a rope. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Simon Williams
View Profile
New user
Sully, South Wales
54 Posts

Profile of Simon Williams
I still use an old Supreme item, the Beacon Wand. I only use the wand part— the tip of the wand 'jumps' from end to end. Of course I never see it— the ol' double take is still one of the best devices to get a laugh.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Oh, anything that let's them laugh at my expense— a giant pop-up in a magic spell book that 'scares' me, or a magnificent bouquet I have paid a fortune for that when uncovered looks like a weed (to be made into a magnificent bouquet of course by a child).

The water powered wilting flower was always a good one but not alway practical. I feel the collapsing wand has 'collapsed' a bit— as everyone does it— in fact so many kids now take a wand off you by holding the centre (as if that would make a difference!), I think they naturally assume something to happen. You can easily rig simple devices that go down so well, i.e. a phone that doesn't ring— but LIGHTS. "Let me know boys and girls won't you". Just lean onto a battery operated circuit switch or step onto a switch to activate. When you finally answer it, it squirts water in your face!

I personally (but we all have our own ideas) do not use any items of clothing that imply vulgarity. The temptation is always there to produce a huge pair of knickers etc. but I have listened for too long to parents' observations of some other entertainers, and in my area and culture probably best left alone. Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My favorite 3 are:

Break Away Wand

Nesting Wands

Blooming Bouquet

Happy Holidays Everyone. Smile Smile
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
Wow, a lot of break away wands out there!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What Are Your Top 3 Comedy Magic Props? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL