The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Has Criss Angel Become Star Jones? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of bitterman
I watched the second half hour of MINDFREAK last night, and couldn't believe that a full third of the show was taken up with Angel pimping his friends bike shop to get a free chopper. There was no inherent entertainment value to it, Angel was just trading exposure on his TV show for a free bike. It went way beond 'product placement' and became 'plugola', something Star Jones is about to lose her job on THE VIEW for. I have no idea what the FCC rules on cable are, but I would imagine that it is a violation. It certainly was boring to watch. It feels like Angel's ego is getting out of control and he has an attitude that 'I can do anything and the rubes at home will be entertained. Look, I'm riding a bike!'

The rest of the show was ok for an updated version of THAT'S INCREDIBLE, but has anyone else noticed that the theme song has been remixed since season, almost tamed down? I only saw Season One on DVD, so maybe that accounts for the sound difference, but I'd swear they changed it to a softer version. Very telling. Almost prophetic, as they say.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Khopri
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
237 Posts

Profile of Khopri
There is nothing wrong with endorsing someone's product on your show. The FCC wouldnt be involved in this at all. Plugging a product is a time-honored tradition. Do you think guests on Letterman are there because they love his witty sense of humor? They are there to plug their book, movie, agenda, whatever.

And this isn't the first time Angel has done this. He plugged some custom car company to get a his viper cherried-out a few episodes ago. But he made sure to show us a torn and restored bill trick for the entertainment value.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Don't forget the MARS or SNICKERS bars given to contestants on Survivor as reward! As consumers get better and better at avoiding commercials the shows incorporate more and more into the show. Its nothing new... as its was the way most television was done in the early days.

I didn't see this recent Angel plug as I don't watch the show.
Best,

Tim
Xpilot
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
464 Posts

Profile of Xpilot
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 10:16, bitterman wrote:
I watched the second half hour of MINDFREAK last night, and couldn't believe that a full third of the show was taken up with Angel pimping his friends bike shop to get a free chopper. There was no inherent entertainment value to it, Angel was just trading exposure on his TV show for a free bike. It went way beond 'product placement' and became 'plugola', something Star Jones is about to lose her job on THE VIEW for. I have no idea what the FCC rules on cable are, but I would imagine that it is a violation.

Even if it was on network/non-cable TV, What FCC rule do you think might have been violated? Star Jone may be losing her job over something, but that doesn't mean the FCC is involved there.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of bitterman
There is a huge difference between going on a show to plug a book, or giving away candy bars and giving the host of a show a custom bike so that he will spend a third of his show promoting your shop. It is called 'plugola' and much like 'payola' it is against the law. Yes, Star Jones did run afoul of the FCC, the IRS and her network when she did the same thing with her wedding. Her contract will not be renewed this September, which is why Rosie O'D. will be joining the show.

"There is nothing wrong with endorsing someone's product on your show"

There is nothing wrong with paid endorsments, but I can't imagine the suits at A&E being too happy if Angel continues to use the show to line his garage for free. I'm sure their national sales manager has a number of clients that would love to pay the network for Angel to shill for them on the show. The network, I'm guessing here, gets nothing from the bike shop; including an entertaining show, which is what they are paying for.

Khopri
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
237 Posts

Profile of Khopri
Payola is the practice of record companies paying money for the broadcast of music that is presented as being part of the normal day's broadcast.

Plugola occurs when you broadcast something of financial interest to yourself, without disclosing that interest.

But if you read the credits, (you know, those tiny little things that flash by at about 1 page per second, compressed into barely-legible type squeezed into the bottom 1/4 of the screen as the network steals extra time to promote its next show) the production gives "special thanks" to Count's Kustoms (along with several other people including Steve and the Magic Café). It seems to me that "Special Thanks" justifies the financial interest.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of bitterman
It’s too bad such a benevolent person as yourself doesn’t sit on the FCC board. There are reasonable limits to promotional consideration and Angel seems to be rubbing right up against them.

Believe me, I’m all for plugola, payola and all the other -olas you can find. I’m just bummed that I wasn’t in radio back when the new singles would come in with the coke stapled to the A side.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I just didn’t find ‘Chris gets a new bike’ very interesting TV. If the Red Sox hadn’t been getting their derbies handed to them, I wouldn’t have made it through the half hour.

davidrowyn
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of davidrowyn
Look, we can't get rid of that stuff.

I mean, if you take away the plugs, what's next? Taking away all the non-magical and fluff? I mean that would include the lengthy propaganda interviews with his crew, the drawn-out bumpers before a commerical, the extended lead-ins/setups before the effect starts, the performances by real magicians (e.g. Burton, McBride), the many teasers for the finale, etc.

What would be left? About a half a show.

Interviews with him and the crew took up nearly 7 minutes of episode three, a standard 21.5 minute episode (without commercials). By comparison, the 'magic' portions took up 9.75 minutes. The other ~5 minutes was a mix of teasers/bumpers, lead-ins, plug (viper), etc.

I realize bumpers/teasers and the like are part of any TV show, including magic tv shows. But 7 minutes of silly interviews? That's a full third of the episode! Maybe they need ANYTHING, including plug spots just to fill these episodes.

//
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Get used to it. With more and more viewers recording shows and skipping the commercials, advertising dollars are moving to product placement. We may eventually see commercial-free television, but it will be just like the movies have become, with slo-mo zoom-ins to product logos taking up half the air time.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Right you are, Airship. I don't even watch Criss in "real time", I TiVo the show and watch it later. That way I can skip all the BS and watch the 10 minutes of magic.

Jim
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1145 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
As someone who works closely on FCC issues, I am not aware of anything that prevents this, other than some wishful thinking on your part.

If your belief is the case, then Queer Eye for the Straight Guy would have been off tv long ago. The whole hour long episodes are nothing but product placement and free giveaways. And it is very blatant.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Michael,

If you work closely with on FCC issue than I'm sure you are aware of the forms they make radio personalities fill out every year regaurding payola, plugola and the likes. I would imagine that basic cable personalities are held to the same standard. Not sure I caught the meaning of the 'wishful thinking' remark, however you have given me another reason to be glad I've never seen Queer Eye.

How is it you work so closely on the FCC issue, consulting for coffee shops and books stores? You got some people hopped up on the java reading books on the air?

inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 10:45, Khopri wrote:
There is nothing wrong with endorsing someone's product on your show. The FCC wouldnt be involved in this at all. Plugging a product is a time-honored tradition. Do you think guests on Letterman are there because they love his witty sense of humor? They are there to plug their book, movie, agenda, whatever.

And this isn't the first time Angel has done this. He plugged some custom car company to get a his viper cherried-out a few episodes ago. But he made sure to show us a torn and restored bill trick for the entertainment value.

You're right there is nothing legally wrong with this, but at the same time when your watching letterman or leno you know why there on the show - to plug something.
This is why I tivo Mindfreak so I can fast fwd all the bull. I'm watching mindfreak for the magic that's it.
davidrowyn
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of davidrowyn
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 20:15, inidyls wrote:
I'm watching mindfreak for the magic that's it.

There's magic on Mindfreak?

//
Khopri
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
237 Posts

Profile of Khopri
I've noticed that advertisers are doing extra things to get around people skipping the commercials. Sprite has a new commercial that includes "subliminal" information that you can only see if you Tivo the commercial and go through it frame-by-frame to spot some special website address. Then people go to the website and they get to look at even more advertising about Sprite. Its pretty ingenious, really.
Drs_Res
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Drs_Res
There was a television manufacturer that recently announced that they had developed a technology that would disable changing the channel durring the commercials. I don't think it will fly.

Let's see if I can find the link to the article....BRB.

Ahhhh, here is one of the articles: "Philips Wants to Patent Must-See Ads"
http://news.digitaltrends.com/article10144.html
( / ) The Bunny
(O.o) Add him to your signature.
(> <) Help him rule the world.
/_||_ Prosper at his side.

Scott
Drs_Res
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Drs_Res
( / ) The Bunny
(O.o) Add him to your signature.
(> <) Help him rule the world.
/_||_ Prosper at his side.

Scott
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1145 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 19:19, bitterman wrote:
Michael,

How is it you work so closely on the FCC issue, consulting for coffee shops and books stores? You got some people hopped up on the java reading books on the air?

Where in the world do you get that I am a consultant for book stores and coffee shops? Is this some bitter humor that I am missing????
giochi
View Profile
Elite user
481 Posts

Profile of giochi
What do you expect from Chirs angel? He is tasteless.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-06-25 11:53, giochi wrote:
What do you expect from Chirs angel? He is tasteless.

Giochi,

I suspect that there are few Café members here who complain more about Chris' camera tricks passed off live magic performances than I. As against that as I am I don't have any bad feelings about the man himself. I'm sure many think I'm a Blaine/Angel basher but I'm not. I'm a "camera effects as magic" basher. Can we keep personal attacts and insults out of the conversation?

Best,

Tim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Has Criss Angel Become Star Jones? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL