The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Invisible Deck Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Come on Pete...remember KISS... Smile
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Erm...
OK, I know the old Ultra Mental has been about for more than a few years, but does that really justify exposing the secret so blatantly in an open forum?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
After reading all this confusion over a simple deck setup, I barely understand it and I'm sincerely interested in the stuff.

I think the secret is safe from the casual surfer.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Dave,
I guess I'm just old fashioned about such things.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2006-06-22 13:38, Pete Biro wrote:
No math required... you spread the cards and LOOK AT THE FACES TOWARD YOU... the other side, faces, are what the spectators see.

That's novel, new, interesting idea that I haven't heard of before. I'll certainly give that a test run or 3!

Quote:
Rich wrote:
Shrubsole:I don't know what routine you do,but try this:When the spectator names there card,figure what card you have to search for to locate their card before you even take your ID out.
You will become more proficient by doing.In fact a good excercise is to practice different combos while watching TV.It will soon be second nature.TRUST ME!
Rich

Yes I normally have it worked out long before going for the deck and always manage to find their card - The problem I have found that is that I'm concentrating so much on remembering the "trigger card" that I have worked out/calculated/etc that I totally forget the Spectators card and have to recalculate it backwards.
I'm just getting old and the old brain cells can't hold two cards in my head and talk at the same time! Smile

It's not much of a problems as there is lots of time at that stage to play about with or I have even said on occasion (whilst looking mysterious) "SO! What did you say your card was?" Smile Works every time!

As for the Combo practice in front of the TV - YES! I did a lot of that when I first started and YES! it certainly does work! Smile
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I find it amazing people have trouble with elementary school math. Is it really that difficult? If so, maybe you should find another hobby. I'm not trying to be mean but come on.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The Three R's have been forgotten in our totally screwed educational system. They are so worried about being PC and catering to the bottom level that learning has been forgotten.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2006-06-23 01:46, Micheal Leath wrote:
I find it amazing people have trouble with elementary school math. Is it really that difficult? If so, maybe you should find another hobby. I'm not trying to be mean but come on.

I don't need any Math(s) when I'm sticking a girl in a box (My main profession) but it does come in handy when I'm building the box, or she just won't fit! Smile

Card magic is like my hobby away from the big boxes, but I personally don't have any trouble taking any number from 13. I'm just forgetful when I have to talk, smile and remember what card the Spec said to me.

I wonder how some people coped with that old trick of: "Think of a number, double it, add..." etc ?
Clark
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of Clark
Michael, I find it hard to grasp the math problems with such a small number as well. Especially considering a little practice with it makes it almost an automatic math less thought. That being said, who the hell are you to tell anyone to go get another hobby? By the way, I'm not trying to be mean either....

No matter if we understand the struggle or not, these are legitimate concerns for the people posting. They are looking for suggestions on managing their trouble not smart @ss comments that are in no way constructive.

For everyone that is struggling, go back and read Pete's advice, and try to make it work with your style, it will make it basically self-working.

Best,
Clark
“The key to creativity is in knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
bentley
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of bentley
It doesn't matter but I pm you
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
The Method that Mr.Biro uses is sooooo ..easy,it does eliminate any Quantum Math Smile.
However,there is one drawback.If you do Restaurant or strolling magic as I do,well now you have something else to consider.If anyone has an angle,or is standing or sitting behind you..well let's just say at best it looks strange and at worst you are busted.I know.. I know,you can just necktie the deck close to your chest..but this in IMO looks very unnatural.
Better to learn the automatic combos IMHO,and just handle the deck as you would at any other time.
Best.
Rich
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Several people have mentioned that after a while the calculation becomes automatic.

That SHOULD suggest that if you are having trouble with it, you simply haven't practiced enough to be performing it in public. It's that simple.

Was your DL undetectable after 5 or 6 attempts? Why would you expect to use an ID without some serious practice time?
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I practice this by having a regular deck on the table, and I randomly cut it, then use the ID to find whatever card I cut to in the other deck. I've found it's a good way to practice being able to locate any random card quickly.
Jaypoc
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Jaypoc
Quote:
On 2006-06-21 18:22, Shrubsole wrote:

However, I do sometimes by that stage forget what the chosen card was and quickly have to back calculate from the "trigger" card.

By then the magic is done. If you can't remember the chosed card, couldn't you just refer to it as "Your card" as you pull their card out (then again, it's not difficult to reverse the thought process.)
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2006-06-23 02:14, Pete Biro wrote:
The Three R's have been forgotten in our totally screwed educational system. They are so worried about being PC and catering to the bottom level that learning has been forgotten.

Yes, Pete! And God forbid parents stop watching TV and actually help their kids with homework or teach them how to treat other people. Today kids learn how to treat other people from watching MTV and Cops.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 15:33, Jaypoc wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-21 18:22, Shrubsole wrote:

However, I do sometimes by that stage forget what the chosen card was and quickly have to back calculate from the "trigger" card.

By then the magic is done. If you can't remember the chosed card, couldn't you just refer to it as "Your card" as you pull their card out (then again, it's not difficult to reverse the thought process.)

Indeed I have many outs: "Let's see if this is YOUR card" or "Now what was your card?" or I back calculate.

It's not big problem and I find it kind of funny that I sometimes can't even remember the chosen card. Smile

Just a sign of getting older I think.
NickE
View Profile
New user
England
4 Posts

Profile of NickE
I recently got an ID because its a really strong piece of magic but when I was practicing with it it started "failing" if you know what I mean. How long should they last on average? I used it quite heavily trying to get a good techniqe but just when I thought I had it it started playing up. Do they not last very long? Theyre expensive if not!
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
A lot of I.D. deck "failures" are in fact an indication that a further refinement of your technique is required.

Although it is possible for the deck to wear down, that usually only happens after many months of continous use.
For the average user, that timeframe can actually stretch to years.

There's a possibility that you've got a bad deck, but the actual methods used in making them are so basic that's rarely the cause.
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 12:23, NickE wrote:
I recently got an ID because its a really strong piece of magic but when I was practicing with it it started "failing" if you know what I mean. How long should they last on average? I used it quite heavily trying to get a good techniqe but just when I thought I had it it started playing up. Do they not last very long? Theyre expensive if not!

I had this exact same problem, and had stopped using the ID for a few years. Then I got on this forum and learned how to make my own, and I've been using it to get AWESOME reactions, just as it should! I highly recommend you simply make your own using the Testors Dull Kote spray, it is very easy, and you can get it just the way you want it. Good luck, Jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Invisible Deck Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL