The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Man, this Hurt! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I just had to turn down a $3,000.00 gig. I have been doing business with a small town outside of Edmonton. They called me up saying they're planning a big community event in early August, and they wanted a stage show.

I asked them a few questions and determined that they wanted a one hour illusion show. So, I described in detail some of the various effects that could be included in the show (ie. Bryce's Screen, Substitution Trunk, Zig-Zag, the Guillotine, Sawing in Half and the Asrah Levitation). They loved the description of the effects and wanted to book the show at the price I had quoted.

Unfortunately, when they gave me the exact date for the event, I realized that I wasn't going to be available. You see, I run my own business and my wife also works full-time. As such, our vacation schedules are very limited. This year, we only have 5 days of holidays together with the kids and we had already booked a driving vacation. If I were to do this gig, I would pretty much have to cancel that trip altogether, and I just couldn't bear to do that.

So, I spent the next day or so, trying to find a magician that could perform a professional illusion show for this client. But, where I live, there are no other magicians who can perform a one-hour illusion show. The only other magician I could find lived 3 hours away from me and would only do it at close to double the fee I had quoted (Even though his regular fees are very close to mine).

In any event, the client didn't want a substitute and there wasn't any possible way I could make it back in time for the show. Oh well, there's always next year!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
WolfgangWollet
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of WolfgangWollet
Magic Show $3000!
Time with wife and kids priceless!
enough said!
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
You did the right thing, but I got to agree . . .Ouch!

Thanks,
Richard
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
Well, what can I say here ... enjoy youre vacation Smile
BTW! I am 100% sure, that you did the right thing Smile
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
You've clearly got your priorities in the right order. The time with your family is priceless.

Dan.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
They just booked me for that August show for$6000. LOL Just kidding. Sorry ..couldn't resist.

Best,

Tim
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
AWW! You had me all excited there for a moment. Smile

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
Ha Timothy. That was good...

I think you made a great choice. Don't let work come in the way of family. You may lose your job, but your family will always be there. Good job!

-Tyler
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
If only I'm there I can go to you and do the magic for that event but I'm stil here in the philippines. lol! I'll be migrating to canada (particularly in winnepeg) soon so I'm going to be the newest magician there.

family comes first before money.. but we need money to give anything for our family.. lol!

thanks!
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I would have asked the date first. Also, you could have acted as a booking agent and taken a cut.
POOF!
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
Shows come and go. Your family will always be there.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Now one wishes they had more magic shows or bank accounts when they are on their death bed. They always want more loved ones around them. You made the right choice. I take a trip with my family every year (this year is Disneyland) only difference is I don't have to turn down $3K gigs, only $200.00. Good choice.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
This happens to me all the time .. it's always everything on the same date. I have yet to perfect being in two places at the same time ..

Steve
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Hmm,,, I do see the point of being with your family.. However... balance between the two.... Move the family vacation around a day or two.... Just think your family could benifit more on vacation with $3000 more bucks in daddies pocket.....
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Thanks for all the support guys. An interesting thing happened. I turned down the gig and explained to the client why I couldn't do it. She was extremely understanding and just as supportive as everyone here.

After I turned down the gig, I told by wife about it. She didn't make a big deal about it at first, but then I overheard her telling a bunch of friends about it. Overhearing that one conversation meant more to me than anything else.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Jason Palter
View Profile
V.I.P.
335 Posts

Profile of Jason Palter
Hey magicman845:

Just had to chime in here: I feel your pain, man! These things happen for a reason, and sometimes we just don't know what that complete reason is at that moment, right? I've had this happen to me many times before with my shows. In addition, I'm an actor as well, and I've turned down auditions for big parts because they happen to be shooting on a family holiday, wife's birthday, etc.----times where I'm already committed to something else. If I went and did the audition and couldn't do it if I booked it, everyone would be unhappy.

Sometimes we can change our family things around if the gig is big enough (gotta talk to your partner first), and sometimes we can't. If it is meant to be it will be. I agree with everyone else: the money and the show is great to have, but the time with your family is just priceless. If you and your wife agree that that is the time to be away and NO SHOW will stop that, then that is what you've decided. It's tough to think about, but I know how you feel.

Take some small comfort in knowing that you are not alone, my friend, as the others will agree.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Jason Palter
Paltergeist Unlimited
(416) 410-5766
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Man, this Hurt! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL