The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Harbottle's comment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dave Shepherd
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
116 Posts

Profile of Dave Shepherd
Yep, I figured out that particular application. I meant I'm envious in general of the spectrum of applications of edge grip. I did follow that little threadlet over on Genii about Latta's sleight being published by Kurtz without Geoff's knowledge or permission. I'm longing for Geoff to publish some of this stuff himself.

I'm also starting to think it's time to get Palms of Steel.

I've been musing a lot lately about the fact that video formats (VHS and DVD) seem to be moving inexorably into the position of publication method of choice for a lot of cutting-edge sleight of hand. I have mixed feelings about this, since I don't carry a DVD player with me on the Washington Metro... Smile
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
Mutobe-San! Genkidesuka? I’m glad you found us here at the Magic Café.

I think that a performance only DVD of your work would be a great place to start. But such a DVD would create an incredible demand for the techniques, and I would hate for so many of your subtleties to be missed if they were not explained. Plus some people might just cry. But I agree that a lot of the touches and finer points your sleights require would be difficult to teach quickly.

Do you think you will be able to come to the Coinvention at LVMI in September? Your material would be greatly appreciated.

Dave....PoS I has a really nice stack transfer from EG to FP (opposite hands). I have a few EG to EG changeovers that will see the light of day sometime soon, as well as some two handed and one handed EG steals done directly from the fan of coins that make utility passes look passe since they keep everything looking like they're right at the fingertips.
Dave Shepherd
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
116 Posts

Profile of Dave Shepherd
Kainoa, thanks for the info. Even though I've already spent up my new magic budget for January and February on the new Carney book and the new Al Baker book (which aren't even OUT yet!!!), I believe I'm going to have to get PoS I and II soon.

I don't know where to do it (maybe here, maybe Genii), but I do want to carry the discussion of print vs. video on beyond where it has been ("Which is 'better' for learning?"). Everything really new, move-wise, seems to be increasingly coming out in video format. This might be because it's impossible to explain well otherwise (as you allude to by asking Mutobe-san to release his material that way), but I wonder if anything else is involved in the mix...?

Kainoa, those acquitments sound exciting, and just your descriptions are going to make me start fiddling around on my own.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Just in case you haven't heard, the Coinvention is officially set for September 17th, 2003, immediately following the LVMI. Sign up for both and get a discount. Also, I'll be lecturing at LVMI, and even better, Shoot Ogawa. As soon as midnight hits on the 16th, we're chasing those "Paper lion" card-toting sissies out of their seats, and we're taking over!

We haven't made the official announcement yet, we still have to confirm the attendance of some of the more reclusive members of Coinworld. However, Dave, Kainoa and Mutobe will both be there, and I'm working on putting together an Edgegrip 2003 update, perhaps a panel forum.

Danny Archer will be accepting the registrations at the LVMI site soon. Come see the stuff, and bring your own material as well.

Join the Coinoscenti!

very Koindly yours,

Curtis
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Dave Shepherd
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
116 Posts

Profile of Dave Shepherd
Quote:
However, Dave, Kainoa and Mutobe will both be there, and I'm working on putting together an Edgegrip 2003 update, perhaps a panel forum.

Omigosh. This sounds almost too heavy.

However, there's only a slim chance I'll be able to go at that time of year. I teach high school, and September is usually a time when I'm expected to be around a lot. Smile

Any chance that some of the proceedings of such an Edge Grip update might be published in some form (even lecture notes)?
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
You, Dave, are a man after my own shamelessly self-promoting heart!

Yes, there will be a DVD produced from the gathering, and the phrase you used, "proceedings", is extremely accurate.

Our hope is to obtain at least two effects from each of the attendees and lecturers, two things that they feel represent the state of the art for late 2003. One will be explained, the other will or not, depending on the preference of the contributor. Through some sort of arcane and hopelessly inaccurate process, we will pick as many as we can fit on a DVD and that DVD will be available for sale to the general public.

We hope to be able to do this on an annual basis, and that the DVD will eventually provide a record of the growth of coin magic each year, much like the journals that scientific and professional bodies publish as a result of their "proceedings".

I want it to be a collective and collabarative effort, like MCM or "Coinmagic". Imagine having a sampling of the finest coin magic being performed anywhere, each year.

This is the concept right now. Things may change if attendance is much more or less than we expect, or if the artists have other ideas.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Isramagia
View Profile
Regular user
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
114 Posts

Profile of Isramagia
How about considering Puerto Rico for a convention. In the meantime I am looking forward to the Coinvention in Las Vegas. Smile
Izzy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Harbottle's comment (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL