We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Jumping knot of Pakistan... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
It's a great routine! I do it to music. It gets a great response.
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
I have the old (and I think it's the original, "The Fantstic Jumping Knot") trick from Pavel and I must agree, this is one of the best comercial rope trick on the market. It has been in my shows for 15 years now.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
One good feature of this trick is it's theoretical when you twirl the two ropes together. It really draws the spectators eyes to the ropes to see what's going to happen.
ScottSullivan
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of ScottSullivan
I bought the Jumping Knot a few years ago and wasn't sure how it would play, but I gave it a try. It killed. I was surprised.
I never came up with a presentation I loved, so I eventually phased it out in favor another rope bit, but this post has inspired me to dig out the props and work on it again.
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Wow, we've had a lot of interest on this since I first posted. I bought Daryl's JKoP set and after a lot of practice, I finally performed it, several times, Friday night while strolling. I was suprised at the excellent response it got. I will keep after it and try and devolop my patter for it. Thanks for all of your responses.
Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Aldo Columbini's Knotty Knot is very similar and great in the restaurants as it only uses one rope and no extra knots.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I've only been practicing with Aldo Columbini's Knotty Knot for a short while but getting the jest of it.

How much more difficult is the Jumping Knot to perform?
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Curious to know what people are using for patter. I thought about music, but don't always have access to it so figured patter is more convenient.

re: patter... I just do what is required... almost explain what I am doing as I do it and then the magic happens. haven't been able to think of any funny patter and didn't want to distract from the magic too much.

thought about using rope gag/bits as I go. example
* say "kuh-not" when making knot
* 2 ropes same length, especially this one
* as rope is untangling, say, "here's the famous dancing ropes"
* rope w/ two ends and a middle which is near the center
* to us this is a rope, but to the jolly green giant... just a piece of dental floss
* ask to borrow a shoe lace... then say, "never mind, I'll use this one here I borrowed from the kid during the last show."

above ideas from David Ginn's "Kidbiz" for the most part.

anyone have patter ideas or tips to share?

J.
The Great Zambini
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of The Great Zambini
Candini,
If you can do Knotty Knot, you can do Jumping Knot.

I've have great audience reactions each and every time I perform either of the two. Obliviously, I only perform one of them per show.

From sunny Florida,
...Simply Amazing
THE GREAT ZAMBINI
...Simply Amazing!
THE GREAT ZAMBINI
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Zambini...since my last post, I have the Knotty Knot down...sometimes the single hand knot can be a bit tricky but the routine is strong when played right.
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
I think was Pavel who invented the first version of the "Travellin knot". Look for his version if you want compare the effects.

Darío
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7378 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Pavel came up with idea years ago. I made a set up with red and yellow ropes (much more visible). I did if for years closeup to stage. It always played great.

Then I lost the fake knot and have yet to make a new set up.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
naturalturn
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of naturalturn
Sometimes I'll set off my 'FISM Flash' (if I happen to be wearing one) at the same time I reveal that the white knot has become part of the red rope.

Regards,
Ray
www.facebook.com/RayWongMagic
When Magic Went WONG!
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I use Daryl's ropes, with Aldo's fake not tying sequence. I also changed Mike Close's patter and like other magician's created my own in a similar fashion.

It plays great for kids or adults, and is extreamly strong. Personally, I don't like the hunters bow knot used in the M.C. version because I've never got it to where it looked 100% natural.

MM

Are there any other sources of ropes to buy for this effect besides Daryl's? His ropes are all right, but I'm looking for something of much better quality, with a litte more length.

Anyone have any suggestions?

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2004-12-07 09:30, Mr. Muggle wrote:
Are there any other sources of ropes to buy for this effect besides Daryl's? His ropes are all right, but I'm looking for something of much better quality, with a litte more length.

Anyone have any suggestions?

MM

I suppose you could get some quality red and white rope. Klamm's foam core rope may work well. Hank Morehouse, who can be contacted through Abbott's, carries the best rope I've ever used, and it may work if it comes in red.

The ends could be turned in on themselves and stitched. Then the appropriate ropes could be sewn together with white thread.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I'm not much for sewing, but I'll give it a shot--good idea. I tried to dye a rope, but didn't get good results. But it may have been the technician in charge.

I'll send Abbott's an email.

thanks-

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
376 Posts

Profile of oagwood
Save some time and scour eBay. Also, here in the Café this item frequently comes up.

If you add up the time it has taken you to come up with your own ropes, you have probably surpassed all costs, even at a third world salary. Not to knock the third world, just to make the point.

I really like the material that Daryl makes them out of. It is a soft rope and is machine washable.

oliver
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
True, but the rope is too short and not very thick. It's also just about flat, not really round like rope.

For now it's all that I have. I'll try Abbott's.

MM
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2004-12-11 05:01, Mr. Muggle wrote:
True, but the rope is too short and not very thick. It's also just about flat, not really round like rope.

For now it's all that I have. I'll try Abbott's.

MM

I pass my JK of P as shoelaces, although mine are round like rope, thick and quite long. Are we using the same prop? Have the manufacturing standards changed since I bought my last set a few years ago?
naturalturn
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of naturalturn
Actually I have a backup set of JKOP which I purchased about a year ago from our local magic shop. I wasn't pleased with the quality, compared with another set I purchased about 5+? years ago. It was much better in overall quality, durability, and thickness, not to mention the visual aspect of the plusher white knot on the red rope. As MM mentioned my inferior set was flat. I myself have wondered whether manufacturing standards have changed.
www.facebook.com/RayWongMagic
When Magic Went WONG!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Jumping knot of Pakistan... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL