The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » If you could pick just one effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
santlerconjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of santlerconjurer
Three minutes is way too short for anything requiring setup or procedure. They will be evaluating you and your stage presence, not your ability to divine something or other after they've written down the name of a celebrity etc etc etc.

Forget these and just show up, smile, say "Hi, I'm Michael Bilkis and I read minds."

Then do some quick card calling or the shortest (1 minute or less) and simplest book test you know.

Then ham it up: "I can tell you're trying to decide whether I should be the feature act. I get this all the time. Naturally I'm complemented, but I'd suggest you put me next to the top and let one of the musical acts end the show."
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
Does no one think a sw*** routine, dressed up however you like, would be good? Or PCT?? no one?
Badger
View Profile
Elite user
Ireland
401 Posts

Profile of Badger
Osterlind Magazine
Fred E. Bert
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
359 Posts

Profile of Fred E. Bert
Of the routines Michael is considering, I think The Phantom Artist is the most direct and doable within the time limit. Ideally, yes, you would want to take your time with those three routines. Especially if you're doing the magazine test while blindfolded and standing on your head.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
With all due respect for each of the three routines mentioned, if you are open to other options, and you want to do strong mentalism, I'd do a Brainwave Deck routine, making sure that the judges were involved in choosing the card.

I've mentioned this before at the Café, but I say this based on the fact that I was hired to perform a mentalism act at a theme park for an entire summer on the strength of that one effect. The producer of the show ended up being the one that chose the card. When it was revealed, he let out a profanity. I knew then and there that I was going to beat out all the other competition (and there was a lot of it).

I used a Dr. Jak's idea printed in Robert Nelson's "More Miracles In Mentalism" titled "One Is Face Up."

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I could do an invisible deck routine. That's my opener for my close up magic show. I could add a PCT as a second quickie. Or maybe Richard Osterlind's ODDs routine. I understand about the time limit and want to do justice to anything that I perform. I am also considering a standard magic effect. OF course I could say that I am better than that and not play. I just hater to pass up an oppertunity to perform.

Michael
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
Osterlind's watch routine could be done in three minutes, give or take, I think. It's a beaut, and if it's something that you already perform, so much the better. Look at your version of the routine and -- be honest with yourself -- flag the places where you're blathering unnecessarilly (and we all do this). Then, cut it to the bone. When you perform it, don't worry about running a little long. Unless the judges are sitting there with a stopwatch, a buzzer, and a hook, they will be sufficiently captivated to let you finish. In short: keep it lean, but let it breathe.
Adam Green
New York, NY
Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
737 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
I agree with the above post defianatley, its the same experience ive had in such experiences.

Ive just got one issue, its not just you, but please stop talking about PCT as if it were a trick, routine it and then talk about what it is, otherwise it will come across as what it is, a ridiculous way of trying to hide a secret.

As I always mention, a card man wouldnt come on here and say, hmm I might do maybe a pass, or a DL, that will impress the judges.

Jon Hackett
It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them -- the character, the heart, generous qualities and progressive ideas. Doystoyevsky
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-06-21 13:18, Jon Hackett wrote:

Ive just got one issue, its not just you, but please stop talking about PCT as if it were a trick, routine it and then talk about what it is, otherwise it will come across as what it is, a ridiculous way of trying to hide a secret.

As I always mention, a card man wouldnt come on here and say, hmm I might do maybe a pass, or a DL, that will impress the judges.

Jon Hackett

I actually agree with you. There are many ways to get the information It would be perhaps better to call it a single paper telepathy reading effect.

Michael
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
Jon Hackett, how would you describe the routine Richard Osterlind performs on his (brilliant) Mind Mysteries DVD: the Act, in which he uses the PCT?

Tom.
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

How about three rapid fire effects: a prediction of a two digit number.

followed by a single paper telepathy reading effect revelation of a thought of vacation spot and a big finish of phantom artist.

Can it be done? Mentalism on SPEED.

Michael
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

If mr Osterlind or Banachek are out there, I'd appreciate your input. I could always do a ropw trick or a thumb tie.

Michael
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1143 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Do the mind power deck or radar deck!
kiki
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

I have but not have rehearsed the radar deck
Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
737 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
Tom Davoe;

Direct Mind reading, at least that is what it is meant to appear like to the audience, he used that to show how the technique could be used to create a great reaction, if you watch the tape, nothing is meant by the paper. That, from an audience perspective when watching it, is what I gathered.

By direct mind reading I mean, having someone write down something personal and or interesting that everyone can relate to in such a way to build a nice presentation, much like the picture type reveal Osterlind did on his tape.

I would describe it as what ever the information is that is revealed, that is the important and amazing thing from the spectators point of view.

How would you discribe ACAAN? A pass? <<<<<<<< that is a joke, people are aways getting the wrong end of the stick!

As a matter of interest, how would you describe it?

Jon Hackett
It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them -- the character, the heart, generous qualities and progressive ideas. Doystoyevsky
Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
737 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
Sorry sorry sorry, its Tom DeVoe, I was reading to quick, sorry!

Jon Hackett
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
Oh I very much agree that the PCT is a means to an end. In my first comment I was simply referring to the type of routine exhibited by Osterlind in the video: a stunning revelation of a thought of word without forcing from a book or pre-show or the like, for which I suggested using the PCT.

P.S. I greatly appreciate your apology - not that I would have been greatly offended! Thanks for the input, Tom.
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Quote:
On 2006-06-20 21:55, Terry Holley wrote:
With all due respect for each of the three routines mentioned, if you are open to other options, and you want to do strong mentalism, I'd do a Brainwave Deck routine, making sure that the judges were involved in choosing the card.

I totally agree either Brainwave or the Invisiable deck totally nails people. Whit Hayden's Brainwave routine is great. Another strong routine is imho is Cassidy's Chronlougue.
Self concept is destiny..
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Mentalism isn't a competition. I would do a really powerful effect and take he time I need. Screw the three mins. If you hit them hard with it and they don't use you because you went beyond three mins. Its their loss.

Shrink
Art takes the time it takes...I would trance them out anyway and they woud want to include it in the compitition because of the value of what you offer. You might get away with five mins if you do a good job....but don't rely on me being correct!
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Hey Shrink I know a fellow named Jack who besides myself would agree with you.

But the art guys are not to many in numbers as I am sure you know.

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » If you could pick just one effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL