The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I am not a girl (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jonathanmc
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas, NV
209 Posts

Profile of Jonathanmc
Went to do a birthday party that was scheduled for me by the party company I work for. Nobody answered the door so I did the "hello, hello" thing while walking through the door after the caterer. I was greeted by a teenage girl who had been put in charge. I asked her where I should set up etc. She went to find her aunt.

After several minutes, an elderly man comes in introduces himself and chats with me. After several more minutes, a woman comes in the door visibly angry. "I don't know why she sent you. I've been working with M for years now. I wanted a girl and she should have known that. I don't need you."

And with that, I was shown the door.

Well at least my manhood was confirmed. Anyone with a similar story?
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I showed up at a festival, after a long drive, and the fellow in charge told me that they found out a member of his church was a magician so I wasn't needed. I stayed to watch the disaster of a show, went outside the festival and did my show. Then told the specs to go tell the guy in charge what they thought.
Steve V
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2006-06-19 14:36, Steve V wrote:
I showed up at a festival, after a long drive, and the fellow in charge told me that they found out a member of his church was a magician so I wasn't needed...
Steve V

So much for doing unto others! Both of these are just horrible stories about how inconsiderate people can be.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Way back when I first started, I showed up at a 4 year old birthday party with all my balloons, for balloon animals, blown up in a black garbage bag. The Father asked me if my costume was in the bag. I said no, I do not wear a costume. He looked perturbed.
While I was setting up for my show, a guy in a Batman costume shows up. It turned out the the agent who sent me to that job, did not really get the booking. He sent me just in case. Of course I did not get paid, and I learned a lot from that.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Jonathanmc
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas, NV
209 Posts

Profile of Jonathanmc
Quote:
It turned out the the agent who sent me to that job, did not really get the booking. He sent me just in case. Of course I did not get paid, and I learned a lot from that.

In case what? You were really Batman?

Yikes, at least my agent really thought we had the gig.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I would think the company that booked you owes you the money for the show.
It's not your fault they wanted a girl. You showed, you should get paid.
That is why I use a contract and expect a deposit.
People are more committed when they have signed a contract and paid a deposit.
Daniel Faith
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I didn't mention I also had balloons blown up and ready to go, several hundred. That was what really got me mad. I gave away all the balloons and ruined their balloon fund raising action. I didn't get anything signed cuz I was already doing a lot for a low cost cuz it was a church fund raiser.
Steve V
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
This is why I always have a signed contract or a signed confirmation letter for every show. There are just too many cases where some person does not uphold their part of an agreement. A signed contract makes them think a bit before hiring or booking you. I always have the contract with me and it has limited a lot of the potential problems I used to face before I had a contract.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Back when I was still clowning, I showed up at one house in full clown and rang the doorbell. A little girl answered the door (the birthday girl) and when she saw me she screamed and slammed the door again.
A moment later her mom came to the door. She said "I am sorry, but she has always been afraid of clowns."
I asked why she hired a clown for her party then?
She said "Well I thought if a clown came to her house she'd get over it"
Mom was wrong!
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Quote:
On 2006-06-19 21:43, N.Bacon wrote:
Back when I was still clowning, I showed up at one house in full clown and rang the doorbell. A little girl answered the door (the birthday girl) and when she saw me she screamed and slammed the door again.
A moment later her mom came to the door. She said "I am sorry, but she has always been afraid of clowns."
Mom was wrong!

Just wow. Mother must have been a real genius. Let's have her biggest fear show up at the door with no warning.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
As the saying goes...you need a licence to drive a car but not to have kids...makes you wonder doesn't it?!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I once called a client the day before a show, only to be told the booking was cancelled. But no one had bothered to tell me! As it happened, it was a particularly busy December Saturday morning booking, and I was relieved to have a little breathing space. Still, it hasn't convinced me to take deposits again, as I once used to. I found that pretty much everyone who cancelled (and it's very rare that it happens) had a legitimate reason. Would I keep someone's deposit because they cancelled their kid's party when he falls seriously ill? Better to refund the deposit, for the sake of PR.
Cancellations are not a worry for me, as I have so few, but I always call the client a day or two before the event to make sure I know exactly what they are expecting.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2006-06-19 21:43, Neale Bacon wrote:
Mom was wrong!

I sure hope mom doesn't teach her daughter how to swim!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Quote:
On 2006-06-20 03:38, Potty the Pirate wrote:
I once called a client the day before a show, only to be told the booking was cancelled. But no one had bothered to tell me!

I once had a school call me as I was almost ready to walk out the door to go do their show. "We just wanted to make sure you knew that we had to cancel your show ...blah, blah.. We tried calling several times." I didn't take a deposit, and I'm not sure what really happened there. So I let it slide (not much I really could do). Now for larger shows like that, I send a contract and request a non-refundable retainer fee. That's just for holding the date.

For birthdays and preschools, I don't bother. So, far I haven't had any problems. -- Except for the bouncing check I got a few weeks back for a birthday. When I got the notice from my bank, I phoned the client (who lives in a wealthy area and has a huge inground pool). The wife told me to call back in 20 minutes-- as she had to talk to her husband. 20 minutes later one of the kids answered the phone "Oh mom and dad just left". The next day she was sleeping. Then she was gone. It seems that she is never available for a phone calls anymore. -- Well, live and learn. This is the first problem I've had with a check of any kind. So, I'm not planning on changing anything, yet. But still, I'm a bit annoyed at the thought of driving to this nice house, doing a great show for their son and everyone else, listening to the dad roar with laughter as he watched and video-taped the show, and then, not only do I not get paid, but I get charged a fee for cashing the check.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
The next day she was sleeping. Then she was gone. It seems that she is never available for a phone calls anymore. -- Well, live and learn.

Materials needed for the effect:

One Super Soaker
One quart of red paint
One ice pick at least as long as the thickness of a BMW's tires
One alarm clock suitable for waking you for a 3am "trip to the convenience store"

You figure it out from there.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I've only gotten 2 bad checks in the time I've been performing (28 years), and for both of those, I made sure they knew it was an EXTRA $30 fee (the legal limit for my state) everytime I ran the check through the bank. Both situations were resolved very quickly. Now I only accept (and my contract reflects that) CASH for parties and non-corporate work.

Steve
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I got a bad check and was getting ready to go to their bank to run it through (my plan was to do it daily). I drove off with my pouch on top of the car and lost it and the dang bad check. Broke my heart.
Steve V
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
I once had a birthday party booking at the beach. The party was planned for the grassy area just above the sand. I thought I'd take it even though I wasn't looking forward to the wind.

The day before, I rang to check that all was okay but got no answer (and it was a cell phone) so I kept trying. On the day, I thought I'd better show up anyway as they hadn't cancelled. When I got to the beach there was no sign of them. I tried the cell phone once more and finally got through. "Sorry, we cancelled it. Didn't we tell you?"

I don't do birthday parties anymore. Just not worth the hassle. Well, that and I'm not that good at them and don't really enjoy them anyway. But the beach party was the last straw.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Jonathan, get your money from your agent. She sent you, you spent YOUR time getting there. CHARGE HER! Then fire her...and smile all the way home!
Chris
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
CONTRACT, CONTRACT, CONTRACT, CONTRACT, CONTRACT, CONTRACT, YOU GET THE IDEA!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I am not a girl (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL