The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Manchurian Candidate/ Conspiracy Theories (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
I've really enjoyed the Urban Legends ideas, but on a related tack, does anyone do routines based on conspiracy theories?

I've been working on a book test recently based around J.D.Salinger's 'The Catcher in the Rye', and its associated conspiracy theories. I call it the Manchurian Candidate.

Basically, I talk about the John Lennon murderer Mark Chapman, and his obsession with this book, and how a plethora of conspiracy theories have sprung from this.
A search on the web provides more than enough research material. I say that it's claimed that Salinger's book is encoded with subliminal messages. That not everyone is susceptible, but that many are, and we can repeat a university experiment to prove this.

Whilst talking about conditioning, and psychological coercion, I get a handful of people to draw three doodles each, of a house, a flower, and a gun. (Deletion possibilities for subsequent effects).
I study the drawings, especially the gun, and choose the person with the 'most apptitude' for the experiment.

This proto-Manchurian Candidate chooses any word in the 'Catcher in the Rye', and surprise surprise, it's something like 'assassinate', or 'kill'. The University report on the table matches the word the spectator chooses. Richarson's 'Theatre of the Mind').

To gild the lily, and make things more sinister, I've worked out a handling where a second spectator, the one whose drawings 'showed resistance' to such mind control, reads the page the Manchurian Candidate chose, only to find a complete absence of the word seen. The book subliminally influenced the subject to think of a word that is not actually there.

Not sure about this second bit? (Exposure problems?) It would work as menatlism presented as psychological coercion, but I kind of like the more sinister brainwashing theme. And I'm sure they must be plenty of conspiracy themed bizarre effects out there.

As a postscript, a quick trawl through the net will turn up schematics and patent descriptions of lots of microwave etc devices that transmit sound into a person's head. IF any of these things work, a quick trip to RadioShack could be in order for all bizarrists(!)

Regards,

Caleb Strange

I know it's kinda sad replying to my own post, but let me throw a couple of auditory ideas at you, and see what happens.

One British conspiracy theory runs that lists of numbers are mysteriously read out over the 'phone. You pick the receiver up, and there's this creepy voice going 'Five, seven, three' and so on. Some people claim to have made tapes of this. Yet no one knows what the numbers are for, and few people remember hearing these numbers.

Now, if one were to 'obtain' such a tape, I'd imagine it could sound unnerving, letting it play a while. Though those people who remember that 'Number nine' track off the 'White album' might disagree:).

Anyway, it would provide a bizarre explanation to those various spectator's brain fails effects, such as Derren Brown's Tube Stop, and even something like Karl Fulves' Hypnomath.

Also, I'm sure the mischievous, and electronically inclined could rig something up on a friend's phone, a couple of months after the idea was planted.

There are also the many 'Hums' that sound around the world, which some people hear, and some people don't. This non-universality of the phenomenon is unsettling, and essentially bizarre. Like some people seeing the cat's eyes, or whatever, glowing in a seance, and others not.

Imagine a low, powerful noise that some could hear during the blackout, and that others would swear blind was never there. I've not tried this, but I'd guess a very low frequency hum, on the edge of the hearing range, suddenly starting during an effect, as if SOMETHING WERE HAPPENING, could be quite powerful in any suitable bizarre effect. For instance, it could be a subtle way of suggesting a presence. Felt, rather than seen, sensed rather than consciously heard.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Caleb,

I am new here, but after reading only a few of your posts, I am impressed. You are very creative.

I have read about the use of very low sounds in a haunt or séance type setting. Even if unnoticed, they supposedly create a sense of dread in those exposed to it. I am considering using them with a show I putting together and would really love to hear from anyone who has used them!!

Thanks,

Dave
petethecreeper
View Profile
New user
N. California
73 Posts

Profile of petethecreeper
I agree with ptbeast, Caleb - very creative. Conspiracy theories (just in a political frame of thought alone) are rampant today. I'm not sure what the reaction to the business surrounding the War on Terror, and the Iraq conflict is in the UK, but theories are flying thick through the air (that's what I get for spending my days in Berkeley,CA).

A major subject of conspiracy theory is Freemasonry. Perhaps a gutsy individual could work up a routine based off of theories behind Freemasonry's involvement in the Jack the Ripper cases, conflicts with various churches, and supposed ties to the Bilderburg group (a supposed "shadow government" that pulls the strings of the world behind the scenes).
Masonry, itself, is ripe with symbolism and ceremony...a fertile ground for a magician's imagination.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I tried to start a similar thread to this some time ago. It didn't go very far and most magicians who posted reply's were against using such theories in their presentations. I for one use many different kinds of conspiracies. From aliens to the new world order! If you are wondering about the Freemasons, they are directly related to the New World Order. You should do a web search for "The New Denver Airport". This newly built airport in the city of Denver, Colorado, is full of Freemason symbalism. From engravings on the walls and floors to a dedication stone that mentions the New World Order. They also have some disturbing murals painted on the walls.

Chad

If you are looking for some offbeat theories, you should read some info on these subjects:

1. The Mayan Calendar- The mayans beleived that we are on the earth for the 5th time. And that we were on the planet and were killed off 4 times before. The last being done by a 'great flood'. Sound familiar? What is truly odd is that they had access to astronomical information that we are only just now rediscovering and from that, they were able to make a calendar with an end date that showed when the 5th earth would end. The date is Dec. 23, 2012! The end being brought about by a great shift in the earth.

2. Planet X-supposedly in an odd orbit and shows up once every 4-5 thousnd years and wreaks havoc on our earths magnetic feild and may even have collided with us once to give us the moon! This theory can be tied in with the mayan calendar theory and may be why the end is nearer than we think?

3. Riddle of the Sphinx-How old is the Spinx in Egypt? Their is a new theory that holds the Egyptians didn't build the Sphinx but mearly found the Sphinx. And that it is much older that we had originally thought. This goes on to say that the Egyptians then changed the head on it to resemble the pharoh of the time. Which is why the Sphinxs head is so much smaller than its body! And then theirs is the question of the library that might be burried under its front paws. Seismic tests show that some big room is under their. But noone is allowed to excavate it.

4. How old are we?- Modern science holds that the first great civilizations emerged a few thousand years ago. That these civilizations were the first to travel and make maps. But maps have been found that clearly show that someone traveld the world and mapped it out before the year 15,000 bc.Long before any civilized nation should ever have existed. These maps show Antartica with no ice cap! In 1958, seismic tests were done to map antarticas actual land mass under the ice. Would you believe it mathces perfectly with the old maps? Who made them and how could they have been so accurate in their mapmaking and navigational skills so long ago? Successful navigation depends on accurate timekeeping. Until the late 1780's no clock was accurate enough to make successful navigational maps. Yet these maps existed and are accurate to within a half of a degree!

I could go on and on with such accounts. You should try looking up some pioneers in these feilds. Like Zacharia Sichin and Graham Hancock. They have each written many books on these subjects. Try also searching for a topic called Forbidden Archeology. Very interesting suff.

Chad
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Caleb, Chad, that's WONDERFUL thinking!
The conspiracies would make great bizarre routines.
I've never done anything down that road but will start working on some ideas right away.
BTW, did you ever think that U.S. President George Bush and Iraqi President Saddam Hussein might be the same person?
After all, you NEVER see them together! (Just like Clark Kent and Superman -- although nobody every notices that!)
Smile
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2210 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Or Michael and Janet Jackson?????
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Chad, your talk of aliens got me digging through my notes. There's a great chapter on alien themes in 'Cantrip Codex'. I think they make a perfect modern approach to doing a seance. In the Shiels book, 'Doc' summons E.B.E.s from across the galaxy, and they chirp, menace, and fruit rots.

A point of note here, which applies to many conspiracy theories: people have generally absorbed what you could call the mythology of aliens. Psychologically, some of the work has been done for us, and the patterns are there to be stirred. As storytellers, we can use such shortcuts.

Quickies: psychic surgery can become the removal of an implant. Watch effects can suggest missing time. My own favourite is the sudden, unexpected, and complete loss of power. There's something very eerie about the lights going off without a sound. We're used to hearing that faint click of the switch, and when the lights go off silently, then it's a shock. My brother-in-law has his own narrow boat (a long thin barge for canals), and I've tried, and failed, to persuade him to let me do a sudden loss of power on an evening cruise. The thought of suddenly being plunged into darkness, and silence, in the middle of nowhere, with the barge DRIFTING out of control...

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I love the idea of psychic surgery to remove implants Caleb! I think you could travel around and make an actual living doing this!
I use the climbing ring (a ring moves up a rubberband) with an alien theme. How their ships defy gravity and then I demonstrate with the ring which seems to rise upwards on the band.

Chad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Manchurian Candidate/ Conspiracy Theories (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL