The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Need advice on difficult gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Hi all,

I've been asked to do a 20 spot during a boxing tournament in March next year. However, they want me to perform in the ring itself with people on all four sides. I'm not too fussed about people seeing what I'm doing, more about the fact that people won't be able to see me at all.

Has anybody ever worked a situation like this before? Do you just focus on one side, do you turn around all the time? Same trick four times? Help!

Cheers,
Adam V
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
rkrahlmann
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of rkrahlmann
I encountered this problem when I used to do street performing. You have to perform tricks that can be performed surrounded, obviously, and with a big visual impact.
To keep the crowd entertained and involved, you just need to keep your focus moving. Show everything to all sides, and try to do the finish of the trick up instead of out, if you get my meaning. Hold things high, instead of in front of you.
Also, you need to have patter to hold everyone's attention. That way people who can't see things for a moment (remember, you should always be moving) will understand what is going on.
If you can, start off with a fire-effect. Boxing crowds like bright shiny things.
Best.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2682 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I agree with rk. Keep moving and look for stuff to do surrounded and that's flashy and faced paced, like such things as

Zig Zag
Subtrunk
Dancing cane
Some dove work
Fire magic

In fact, any illusion or parlour magic that can be done surrounded and spun around so that everyone "gets a piece" or glimpse of the illusion may work well.

You better also take in consideration the floor of the ring, it will most likely be a little springy.

P.
Brand New: - MICRO VANISHING STATUE OF LIBERTY ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
DA
View Profile
New user
New jersey
48 Posts

Profile of DA
Do a straight jacket escape. Roll around make it dramatic.
DA
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24072 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My friend Jon Ross got a call to do an illusion for WWF. He made a wrestler appear in a fire cage.
rkrahlmann
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of rkrahlmann
After thinking about it, I want to modify my previous post. Patter should be the least important aspect of this show. No one will listen. When I used to perform on the street for movie lines, people standing around for 40 minutes were happy to have something entertaining, and were eager to pay attention. A boxing crowd is not going to be sitting and waiting on your every word. Keep the talking to a minimum--use music instead.
Timothy
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama, USA
174 Posts

Profile of Timothy
Quote:
On 2002-12-24 15:56, DA wrote:
Do a straight jacket escape. Roll around make it dramatic.
DA

Instead of patter, make it a comedy by adding some "Benny Hill" music to the straight jacket escape! Man, rolling around trying to get out of a straight jacket with Yakety Sax in the background...it's just funny to me Smile
-Magical Tim
Magical Tim's Magic Shows
[email]tim@magicaltim.com[/email]
"Magic is a vanishing art!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Need advice on difficult gig (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL