The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Daniel Garcia - Greed DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
I received my Greed DVD from Penguin Magic yesterday. While I am unimpressed with Daniel as a buisnessman (he still owes me a DGP Vol 2 DVD from last October), I think he has a winner with this new illusion. I have not had time to review the entire DVD, a cursory examination shows a nicely laid out DVD, broken down into performance, explanation, construction, and other extras I haven't had time to view.

The effect has been documented in other posts, so I will not go into it here. Daniel shows multiple presentations of the effect with different spectators in the presentation section. He gives a very clear and consice explanation (with occasional forays in to "Sankyisms") of the illusion. A highlight is the over the shoulder camera angle during the moves, making it very easy to follow along. I did not have time to watch the full construction portion, but in answer to the many questions people had in other posts, the effect will cost you $7.00 to build. Daniel says it will last for many, many showings.

My initial impression is this will be a much used illusion. Get it, practice it, and show it off before everyone else does!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Got mine yesterday. Anyone see how funny Danny is? The DVD is very well produced with great explanations and lotsa extra ideas and thoughts.

Daniel, GREAT JOB!!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1028 Posts

Profile of in flames
I bought it strickly for the laugh! Can't wait to see how funny Daniel is!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2201 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Just received and watched this this afternoon.

Nice quality video and audio.

Multiple angles leave no stone unturned.

Instruction for construction of the gimmick, performance (including an alternate handling for the bill changes and a few methods to do the coin change) are more than thorough.

Also some good outtakes and performances on the streets of Vegas.

Big thumbs up, can't wait to build my gimmick and start practicing. On a pracitce note - There is a PDF on the DVD (accessible in your computer's DVD drive) that contains the proper parts of the bills you need to cut out to assemble the gimmick. If you print out this PDF, you can do a "dry run" of the construction before you commit to using actual currency.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Eric Gretencord
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
165 Posts

Profile of Eric Gretencord
The effect itself is great. I will be adding this to my repertoire immediately.

The DVD editing could have been a bit more polished, along with an obvious edit omission. However, those are very minor nitpicks. The over the shoulder angle and the floating 3D models are very nice additions and make construction and performance super easy to follow.

Lastly, Danny's Criss Angel impersonation is worth the price of the DVD!
He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder.
-M. C. Escher
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Just watched it again. Danny hit a grand slam with this project!!

Chris

paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Still waiting on mine.
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Its a good dvd, and I've performed the routine a many times. The routine is great, and makes a lot of sense. (I have had people ask me if I could increase their money.......yada yada).

I have 2 problems with it though. Well at least the way Dan Garcia does it for my experience.

1. After you've been asked to increase their money, and you take out your greed and change the bill so that you now have a folded up $20, I feel alittle strange going all the way down to a 50 cent piece, or quarter(in incriments). I know at the end there is the line of "well don't be greedy" I just feel bad for myself that I have done all this magic and work to get from a 1 to a 20 and now I'm completly going back and "being my cheap self"

2. I've realized that after I do greed, I want to be completely clean, no gimmick. If you want even more, you can switch the bill using Garcia's bill switch(from the project set) or any other switch.

Also, what would happen(just a thought), if you did greed, switched for a real 20, showed both hands empty, AND THEN GAVE the Bill to the spectator. Of course you would be $20 lesser, but think about the impact on the spectator. You've done real magic. Changed a 1 to a 20 that's examinable, and then give it to them.

In my mind, that sounds like some powerful magic right there, and an incredible experience for any spectator.

But Greed itself, is great, and I've had a lot of fun with it. I esspecially like it because you keep it in your wallet, and you have so much magic, with a little investment, that will last you awhile, and is a darn good trick.

just my two centavos
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-06-20 20:41, clamon86 wrote:
Its a good dvd, and I've performed the routine a many times. The routine is great, and makes a lot of sense. (I have had people ask me if I could increase their money.......yada yada).

I have 2 problems with it though. Well at least the way Dan Garcia does it for my experience.

1. After you've been asked to increase their money, and you take out your greed and change the bill so that you now have a folded up $20, I feel alittle strange going all the way down to a 50 cent piece, or quarter(in incriments). I know at the end there is the line of "well don't be greedy" I just feel bad for myself that I have done all this magic and work to get from a 1 to a 20 and now I'm completly going back and "being my cheap self"

2. I've realized that after I do greed, I want to be completely clean, no gimmick. If you want even more, you can switch the bill using Garcia's bill switch(from the project set) or any other switch.

Also, what would happen(just a thought), if you did greed, switched for a real 20, showed both hands empty, AND THEN GAVE the Bill to the spectator. Of course you would be $20 lesser, but think about the impact on the spectator. You've done real magic. Changed a 1 to a 20 that's examinable, and then give it to them.

In my mind, that sounds like some powerful magic right there, and an incredible experience for any spectator.

But Greed itself, is great, and I've had a lot of fun with it. I esspecially like it because you keep it in your wallet, and you have so much magic, with a little investment, that will last you awhile, and is a darn good trick.

just my two centavos

#1 the gag at the end is what Doc Eason would term " leading them down the Garden Path and then turning the hose on them". There's no reason to feel cheap.

#2 I would do your idea of taking there $1 and changing it to a $20 and letting them keep it only if it was a show, it was the PAYING host and I was making $400 for the gig. Then the gievaway is built in.

Chris

Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I think the effect is great, enough praise has already been given, so I need not say any more about it.

HOWEVER...

I didn't find the jokes to be funny in the slightest. It was like some sort of mix between Dane Cook and Jay Sankey, except not funny. (No offense, I just really didn't find 98% of it funny). There were a few lines that were good...

That aside however, the DVD covered everything. The hardest part will be finding nice bills to work with (BOTH of the stupid banks I visited today didn't have exactly what I needed, I had to get the bills from my dad).
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Well I have a question here. I'm not asking for exposure, I’m not asking for a quick fix, but I had bought the PDF file for greed along time ago. When producing the 50 cent piece he says to use a false transfer. I heard that on the DVD the move he uses is much better. I'm not going to buy the DVD since I know the basis of this trick. I was wondering if someone could give me a clue on the transfer he uses in the DVD? Please PM me if you can, if not I understand.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4146 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I really like the effect and the method. The DVD was profesionally made and Daniel was his usual hilarious self.I was wondering if anyone felt that the diminishing size of the bill as it is kept on being folded throughout the routine was an issue or a problem?

Thank you very much.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
JosephKerr
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
392 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
Not really. If you really feel the need to motivate it, you can tell the spectators that you are giving them a smaller area to concentrate on.

The effect is a keeper. I received the DVD and made the gimmick in less than 30 minutes. The first time that I performed this for my test spectator, he was fooled pretty badly. I've performed this about 5 times since last night and it garners consistent reactions.

As Daniel state, due to the nature of the construction of the gimmick, it appears that it will last a very long time.
"Challenge Your Reality"
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
Magicjg,
Think snap change...
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4146 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Joseph,

Thank you very much for your comments. They were very helpful.

Perhaps this is not a fair question as it involves perhaps comparing two entirely different effects, but do you think that the instantaneous revelation of a pack of one dollar bills to a pack of $100.00 bills in Hundy 500 is more dramatic than the progressive revelations of several denominations in a single bill in Mr. Garcia's Greed effect?

I like both effects and both effects are wonderful. I am just thinking out loud.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Well I finally got mine in today I watched it and loved it. I won get Daniels head all big, he knows he hit the Bulls Eye Yet again.

I might have to reconstruct my Greed again though. I had mine from the lecture notes and appears to be the complete mirror image from what is thought on the DVD. Also I used another type of material to put it together oppose to what was described on the DVD.

Other then that it was a great watch and will be used quite a bit.

Everyone lets give it up to Young Fearless debut to the magic world.
JosephKerr
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
392 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
Hey Paisa,
You'll be state-side soon Smile

Magicinsight,
I perform Hundy all the time. With Hundreds And with Twenties. that's a $732 investment for a close-up effect...And worth every penny. Its on the list as one of my go-to effects.

The Hundy gets two really nice moments. (The Change and the opening of the packet to reveal all Five Hundred.) Greed has a more magical moments and the kicker ending really makes this a keeper. The change of the bill to the coin really catches people off guard and destroys any chance they had of back-tracking.

I like the idea of following Hundy up with Greed. Using it for the inevitable, "Do it with my money!" and proceeding with the phase by phase of "Greed".

Oops. I'm kinda rambling. In comparison: Hundy: Pro- You can hand out the Hundreds to be examined
Con - People always ask for you to turn the Hundreds back (They feel that they might catch something if they get to see it again)

Greed: Pro- The multiple phases give people ample opportunity to watch and to realize that they cannot figure it out.
Con - I wouldn't feel comfortable performing this surrounded
"Challenge Your Reality"
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4146 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Joseph,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my question. As always, your comments were very helpful. I think I would do one or the other. I don't think I would do both effects, Hundy and Greed, back to back, but I understand your philosophy in doing so. I will try Greed this weekend. I agree that the finale change of greed of the bill to 50 cents is a good and rational way of ending this routine and a good way of ending "clean."

Thanks again for your comments and help.

Best regards,

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Gandolf,
Thanks
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Just redid mine up its under my Friends Box set. The One with all Ten Seasons. It should be nice a neat by tomorrow. Daniel, Loco your doing great things bro. how about getting your site up and running again?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Daniel Garcia - Greed DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL