The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Has anyone seen the new Bobo DVD? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
Sirbrad,
I have more of the 4 disc cases. PM me and I'll get one in the mail to you right away.
I also keep all my things in pristine condition, so I know exactly how you feel. I also work for UPS and I know how rough the guys are on some packages!

Ben S
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Thanks a lot Ben that would be great. Yeah I hate having anything that is broken period, as it also detracts from the potential resale value; even though I do not plan on parting with this ever, or most of my other magic for that matter. I have never even sold, or gotten rid of one thing in almost 30 years being involved in the art. However I am also very selective about what I buy, and do a ton of exclusive research before buying anything, this set included. the shop that I bought it from said they did not have any extra cases, but I could send it all back if I had to.

But I like I said, I can't see sending the whole thing back over just the case; especially considering how long I have waited to get this set. But it would be nice to have the original case fully intact, as I want to keep the contents of this gem protected if you know what I mean. I also hate it when DVDs even have the slightest scratch, or smudge mark on them, and these have very minimal ones thankfully.

Thanks for personally rectifying this issue, that goes a long a way with me. The set looks great from what I have seen so far, and from the opening first few minutes, and seems to contain more material for the buck than any other set I have seen out there. I am highly anticipating seeing it.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I was not impressed with what I saw of this, as I don't feel like it added anything to the material in the book.
To see what a video version of a Magic classic OUGHT to look like, see "Paul Wilson on the Royal Road to Card Magic" from L&L. As he goes through the book chapter by chapter, sleight by sleight and trick by trick, Paul presents a lot of his own thoughts on the material, from a book he obviously loves.
If Magic Makers approached this material in the same spirit, they might have something.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Sirbrad, now is that solid service or what...Smile Toldya that Ben Salinas would be helpful. Bet you didn't think it would be in this particular way...Talk about standing by a product...It's the little things that mean alot. Smile

DS, I respect your opinion here, at least you seem to have actually watched the dvds. If you didn't get anything out of it, then cool as every girl is not a pretty girl to everyone. Smile I personally was not a part of the planning session for this project so I can't say what should've been "added" to the material in the book in the way of whatever...I really thought it was aimed at illustrating the book as it is. In that way, I think it most certainly succeeded. Also, you look to be a bit more mature in the game than the folks I believe will get the most out of this dvd set. While you see no redeeming value in them because they don't give you anything extra that perhaps you didn't know, that would not be the case for beginners (which the book is most certainly aimed at in initiating people the working and working through of coin magic), as they would find the dvd set a perfect compliment to the famous Bobo book. Personally, I don't think it's about necessarily finding anything new in the dvd set...Might not have been the aim at all in developing them...I certainly don't think so. But what's in the dvd set will be new for more people going forward than not, just like it is for the book for many new coin workers every year. I think it will always be that way, and now we have a new dvd set that further illustrates that book, actually brings it alive with good instruction. For me, when I first got the book, I wished for something like this dvd set regarding a lot of the moves, routines and sleights. I think a lot of people thought the same thing. To me, a good wish was answered in this set, and I think thousands of people will benefit from them going forward, moreso than the old-heads will get out of them with whatever time they have left here. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts...honest pros and cons and debate are always a good thing.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Mb217,
I re-read my post and I think I may have come across as more negative than I intended. I think the material is presented competently, and I suppose in all fairness I should admit to being prejudiced toward learning from books (It's sort of a generational thing, I think)
That being said, I stand by what I had to say re: Paul Wilson on Royal Road.
I don't think the Modern Coin Magic set is bad, but I think you guys missed an opportunity to do something great.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
DS, points well-taken. Smile

I appreciated your initial post and now this one too. Glad you didn't take my post as negative or challenging. I just wanted to give my opinion as to the focus of the dvd set, even if it didn't impress all users. I understand the thing about the "books" as being generational. I think we're slipping past that part of our learning experience/instruction in the way we most efficiently comprehend...Think the internet and more expansive/interactive television is replacing the time it takes to read something through. Sorta like the way dvd instructions might be more palatable to most people now than simply even reading through Bobo's today. Things change where once it was great to curl up with a good book, now you can actually curl up with the world via a go-anywhere laptop connecting you to the internet, and that includes books, music, etc, online instantly anytime you want. Like I said, people might want things to stay the same at times, but things change because that's what they do, at least that's what progress is all about whether we look at it that way or not.

And what Paul Wilson did with Royal Road to Card Magic was indeed a good thing. Maybe someday they will take this even further in coin magic. In leiu of that and as a great first step on this, I say the Modern Coin Magic dvd set is a good-enough presentation and quite representative of the Bobo Book. I think it's a great compliment to it and can even stand alone on its own. As much as I love Bobo's, I think I would've traded rather fast for this dvd set back then...I think I would've gotten a lot more out of it during those early times. Anyway, good talk man. Smile -MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Granted I am also from the old school of "book learners," but I see DVDs as a great new learning tool for those who choose to supplement them in with their reading, as opposed to replacing books entirely. After twenty-six years of magic thus far, I do not have that many DVDs. I only have some of the older classic sets. However so far I have thoroughly enjoyed what I have watched, and actually was able to grasp the information a lot quicker by actually seeing it done live by a performer.

With books, some may miss key elements as far as timing and misdirection goes. Personally I was already well grounded in magic long before I even seen a DVD. So my prior knowledge helped me to learn much more quickly. I think DVDs are a great new learning tool as long as they are used for the right reasons. Not simply because one is too lazy to read, or is only looking for instant gratification. DVDs should be used to "fill in the gaps" so to speak, not replace books completely.

They provide a great visual reference, and allow another magician to come into your home for personal instruction. Some older magicians tend to become jaded, and antiquated in their own solidified, and outdated ways. They refuse to revolutionize simply because they fear something new, or hold resentment because this was not available for them when they were first learning. So why should everyone else just be able to "jump in," and freely access all the knowledge and information, that these long time practitioners of the art ascertained after many years of study? I felt the same way, and still do to a point. I believe beginners should also go the book route for starters, as books cover a lot more material than DVDs can.

I think that if one adheres to only DVDs, they are actually cheating themselves out of a lot of knowledge; and money—more than could ever be found on DVDs. So one should build their foundation with books, and supplement it with DVDs
from time to time. Just make smart, and wise decisions. Beware of high priced "individual effects" DVDs as well, and only buy what gives you the most bang for your buck. This is why I only stick to the "classic sets."

There are a TON of great resources out there, and far more cost-efficient alternatives as opposed to DVDs. Books are much more plentiful in their offerings than most DVDs. There are many very inexpensive books that are actually priceless in their offerings of magic knowledge, and they should provide you with a solid foundation to your magic house. I also found Daryl’s EOCS to be invaluable, and very useful as a visual reference; and for learning the timing of a sleight. Even if I did not actually learn anything new from the set, I was still glad to finally have a visual reference of all the sleights.

There is no right or wrong way to learn, only the way that is best for "you."
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Anyone know the official time length of these DVDs? I do not see it on the case anywhere, or listed online. Just curious as sometimes I use the time for reference in my notes.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2007-01-06 23:07, BenSalinas wrote:
Sirbrad,
I have more of the 4 disc cases. PM me and I'll get one in the mail to you right away.
I also keep all my things in pristine condition, so I know exactly how you feel. I also work for UPS and I know how rough the guys are on some packages!

Ben S

Hi, I did not receive the case yet was it sent out? I assumed being that you live in the same area as me that I would have received it by now. No real hurry, just wanted to know if it was in the mail yet so I could watch for it.
Funone
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Funone
I rather enjoyed it. I learned some great tips. I like the idea for the bitten coin and having part of an other coin in you teeth.
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
Hey Sirbrad,
I got the case in the mail, finally. Sorry it took so long. Just in case any of the DVDs got scratched, I sent along a new set of 4! Enjoy!
Ben S
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Ben, I received it thanks a lot! Two were slightly scratched from all the moving I guess, but they seemed to work OK. Thanks again for the signed replacement though, they all appear to be scratchless. I greatly appreciate it.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 19:02, BenSalinas wrote:
Hey Sirbrad,
I got the case in the mail, finally. Sorry it took so long. Just in case any of the DVDs got scratched, I sent along a new set of 4! Enjoy!
Ben S

Now THAT is CLASS!! Customer service doesn't get any better than that. Way to go, Ben!!

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
You can say that again. A lot better than the place I got them from even, and they are pretty good too. I will be buying the Hot Shot Color Changes as an added thank you, although I was going to get them anyway as I enjoyed Ben's work on Modern Coin Magic. Hopefully this case is fully intact! Smile
Funone
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Funone
Highly recomended! Great stuff !!! Takes Bobo into the new Century.
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
I just watched the first DVD and it's fantastic. I can't believe anyone wouldn't enjoy 'seeing' the moves that Ben provides.

I know there are some people who still prefer the details that a book provides, but for me, there is no comparision. I've picked up Bobo's book many times and always walked away wondering if I was doing things correctly.

I guess the same people might say, "who needs the internet when I can just go to the library?" Smile

So if you want to do coin magic, get these DVDs. It's just a wonderful introduction to coin magic.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah I just finished viewing the whole set once awhile ago, and cannot wait to now go back and hone my sleights even more so using this as a reference.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I think that this is a very good reference tool and an excellent value. While I have my issues with Magic Makers, I went ahead and purchased this, and I'm very pleased with it. I, too, am a book fan, but you can't beat video footage to fully comprehend the timing of a move.

Hopefully, MM will focus on more projects like this, rather than manufacturing/selling unauthorized versions of other creators' products.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Has anyone seen the new Bobo DVD? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL