The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Linking ring on rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Hi folks,

There's a move on one of the videos/DVD's in my magic library but I just can't seem to find it.

It's basically a way of putting a solid single linking ring onto a rope so that the ring hangs from the rope (the weight of the ring keeps the knot in place), when you lift the ring just a little it appears to melt of the rope.

It's a beatufil effect but I just can't remember which video it's on. Does anyone recognise it and if so, who does it.

Cheers
Billy
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Billy

When you say "solid", I am interpreting this to mean ungimmicked; I am also assuming that you are talking about an ungimmicked rope, nor extra pieces.

That said, this sounds like one of a few different methods that I've see in a few places(but I don't think on Daryls dvd - my only rope DVD)

Method 1 (a messy looking knot)
- Ring Tied: a method,by D Edwards posted on the Allmagic website.
I think the knot that is tied is analogous to the types of knots tied to allow silks to pass through arms, ropes or silks(methods in Wilson's complete course, Tarbell...). I haven't tried it yet, but it looks pretty good.

Method 2 (the knot may not look like a knot to a savy spectator)
- Metal Ring on a String: Tarbel V1 p137 (see also V5 p104, v3 p295,298)
- Locked Ring Release: Russel's Magic Step by Step (a kids book)
- There is a video clip of this on the video depot (look for "aro_y_cuerda_comprimido")
- Simlar method, but slightly different display are in the new Ency of Rope Tricks:
> Release - oring(p327)
> Joseph's Ringed (p320)
> Wholesale Ring Removal (p318)

Method 4 using Chefalo type of knot
- Gardner's Chefalo Release; Ency of Rope Tricks

Method 5
Ring is slid into/off of a simple overhand knot, but remains on the rope: G. Wilson's Ring Leader, new Ency of rope tricks..

Method 6
There are a number of what I would call finger ring methods, where there is not a tight knot that will support the ring by itself

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
John

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it.

You're right about the ring and the rope, they're both ungimmicked.

The more I think about this the more I'm starting to think that maybe someone showed this to me at a convention or something. One thing's for sure, I can't seem to locate it amongst my books and DVD's.

Thanks again for all the help. I'll search out the resources you've listed.

Cheers
Billy
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
John - I couldn't find the magicvideodepot demo you mentioned. Could you post a link?
Jolyon Jenkins
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Thanks - but I know the general url but can't find the particular demo out of 6000
Jolyon Jenkins
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Glad that this stirred some interest.

The first method, which ties a knot, which looks like a messy knot, on the ring can be found in http://allmagic.com/ by the name of Ring Tied.

The second method is in the references I gave, but harder to find on MVD. Magic video's search engine is not the greatest, but I think I found the video of the second method I listed. The performer claims his stuff is from Daryls Fooler Doolers V3. Most of his ring on/off a rope is on Daryls rope DVD, but I don't the the effect we're talking about is on Daryls rope dvd, but then, I haven't gone through all 3 volumes of that.

So, the effect that I'm talking about is when the performer holds the rope vertically between his foot and outstretched hand, puts the ring on the rope, runs the ring up and down the rope(he could of let go of the ring if he wanted), then plucks it off the rope.

This is the video; I did a search for aro_y and found him.

http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=6951

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Many thanks for finding that
Jolyon Jenkins
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The video John links reproduces Daryl's Ring and Rope from Fooler Doolers 3 move-for-move. If these are the moves you want, then Fooler Doolers 3 will give them to you.

John
Quote:
On 2006-06-22 18:49, John Long wrote:
Glad that this stirred some interest.

The first method, which ties a knot, which looks like a messy knot, on the ring can be found in http://allmagic.com/ by the name of Ring Tied.

The second method is in the references I gave, but harder to find on MVD. Magic video's search engine is not the greatest, but I think I found the video of the second method I listed. The performer claims his stuff is from Daryls Fooler Doolers V3. Most of his ring on/off a rope is on Daryls rope DVD, but I don't the the effect we're talking about is on Daryls rope dvd, but then, I haven't gone through all 3 volumes of that.

So, the effect that I'm talking about is when the performer holds the rope vertically between his foot and outstretched hand, puts the ring on the rope, runs the ring up and down the rope(he could of let go of the ring if he wanted), then plucks it off the rope.

This is the video; I did a search for aro_y and found him.

http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=6951

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
A little late on this, but I just found a source for this.

On Wilson's Ring Leader, Chapter 37, he teaches a variation of an effect by Grismer(sp) called Knotty: a knot is tied on the ring, the ring can hang from the rope(even be spun around on the rope), the ring is then lowered into a spectator's hand, and he closes his hand around the ring and rope. The rope is pulled, and comes free of the rope. Nice.

I saw a similar effect done in the Fantasma's Ring Scape routine (I don't own, but seemed similar)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
John Long
John from Canada is right. All of the moves done in that video are taught by Daryl, I saw them on expert rope magic vol 3
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
John,

Jeff McBride has a nice routine with a linking ring and rope on Volume 1 "The Commando Act" of the McBride Magic on Stage series (3 Volumes). It has the knot component you speak of. You might look it up. It's a well thought out routine.
Coram Deo
The Conjuror
View Profile
Regular user
Illinois, USA
132 Posts

Profile of The Conjuror
Aro y is using a bracelet in that video on magicdepot. I know Daryl teaches his Bracelet on Rope routine in one of his instructional DVDs. Perhaps that's a place to find it? I'm honestly not sure. I think if you do enough research on the Ring on Rope effect and its many routines, you will find the move you are looking for. Mr. Steele seems to know where it can be found.
Prof. Alexander
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Prof. Alexander
This sounds like a move developed by Flip.

Flip actually has the ring pulled by a one spectator and it remains firm on the rope then he asks another spectator to pull it and the ring appears to just melt of the rope - very magical! You will find it on the Ring on Rope - worlds greatest Magic dvd (L&L)

Prof. Alexander
I met this chap at the Olympics. I said to him, "Excuse me but are you a pole vaulter?" he replied "No, I'm German, but how did you know my name was Walter?"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
There are only a few ring, and rope moves possible, so what ever your source is they are all the same Flip, Daryl, Aldo, Willi, or you name it, it's all the same few ring, and rope puzzel moves.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
If you have Tarbell 6, check out 'Ring and Rope Release' by Peter Warlock.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
There is a book by Philip Reed Willmarth called "The ring and rope book": Inside there are lots of moves and routines, with or without knots, including some great Flip ideas, as well as Anverdi's, Chanin's, Chesbro's...
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Phil's "ring and Rope Book" was one of my first sources. I'm not sure if it is still available.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I used to do an effect that sounds like what Billy described. It has been so long I cannot remember the source or where I learned it. I can't even remember how to do it now. It seems like Jack Miller invented the one that I did, but I am not sure.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Mike Carroll
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Mike Carroll
Mr. Angello, I agree with your comment that "There are only a few ring, and rope moves possible, so what ever your source is they are all the same Flip, Daryl, Aldo, Willi, or you name it, it's all the same few ring, and rope puzzel moves."

But what sets them apart are their highly individualistic performance styles, no?

I only wish I had half the style of Flip!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Linking ring on rope (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL