The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Looking for a good tax advisor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Does anyone have a tax adviser you use and would recommend?

-Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Nothing beats having a reliable, trustworthy local CPA covering your butt on taxes and records. However, to get started I can HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Steve Snyder, the Tax Magician, and his book at http://www.thetaxmagician.com . Steve, by the way, will be one of the featured lecturers at this year's KIDabra Conference Marketing Day. I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

I can also recommend "Accounting and Taxes for Magicians" written by Robert Steiner as a basic guide. However, as informative as this book is, it was published in 1995. Steve's information is much more current. A lot has changed since '95.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Profile of AragorntheMagician
I know some skillful one's.......but a GOOD one...or are we not speaking morally/metaphysically here.........lol.

Yours,
Aragorn
aka: I used to be BOB (It's Cellini's fault)
"All Right, Who's Volunteering to be Turned into a Frog???"
www.aragornthemagician.com
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Thank you for the great resources Skip.

Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Do you have someone at your bank you get along with? They can probably recommend someone who they think highly of.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
I second Steve Snyder!
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
How do you contact steve snyder? His website lists no e-mail address, and the "questions" part of his site says the question will be posted on a forum.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Good point! I'll have to mention that to him. His business email address is thetaxmagician@comcast.net .

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Sorry to have to disagree, guys, but a tax advisor needs to be someone local to the client, for many reasons - first and foremost, local issues and individual circumstances greatly affect a person's tax decisions.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
No disagreement, Ross. My first line states specifically that nothing beats a local CPA devoted to serving and guiding you. NOTHING!! However, for a person performing as a hobby or just starting out a CPA may be overkill and out of budget. Steve's book covers these issues for the beginner and the pro.

It's also a good idea in my opinion to approach a CPA with a working knowledge of what to expect. Not that we're anywhere near the same level but Willie Nelson and others like him were nearly ruined by blindly trusting the wrong accountant. A little knowledge of what a magician can and can't do can help each of us avoid similar problems. Steve's book does this in easy to understand lay terms and explanations.

I believe in controlling my business. My CPA is my guide and advice giver. She does a wonderful job of keeping money in my pocket and the IRS off my back. But, it is my responsbility to keep my interests well protected. To do this, I need to know at least the basics.

So...I agree with you 100%. As a matter of fact, Steve's book strongly recommends retaining a professional at and above a specific level. He really lays it on the line.

Bursky
View Profile
New user
West Hollywood, Ca.
78 Posts

Profile of Bursky
Abe Carnow in Los Angeles. He is a Tax expert. One of the best in the country. Hey, I'm net in jail (yet).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Looking for a good tax advisor (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL