The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Nathan Burton on America has Talent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Something is FISHY with Nathans "appearances”.
Did anyone else find it odd that he was one of the only entertainers to have an extra time to perform more of their act? Oh I just had another effect with 4 girls waiting in the wings.

In a way, if it was not all planned, which I think it is, that would be unfair to the competition. They had to set up that he would have more to make the show entertaining.
Thus I think the judges would not be able to vote him in and have to let America vote for him, which they did not.

It all seemed too prepared and too scripted that I wonder if he knew he would not make it to the end but was a positive feature in the show. Yes, it will only gain him recognition as well as maybe a TV special. If I do see an NBC sponsored feature show with him, I could assume this was part of pre press.

The last "extra" he brought along was a little rough. I have seen the toilet illusion before and it would seem there was a little exposure and some of the timing was off. Not the strongest finish if that is the last we see of him on that show. Note I said IF...

I hope he shares the inside scoop with the magic community. For now I still have that sense something was up by way of having those extra illusions waiting in the wings.
ralphdean
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern Ca
302 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
Most of the winners have done something extra, sing another song, dance another dance, what ever. They just did not have to drag as much equipment with them.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1278 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Just my opinion here...
I really don't think Mr. Burton has been doing a good job as a magician in this show.
He simply presents the magic as amusing tricks, and he's not very original. I saw Copperfield do the snow routine (better of course) a long time ago. I think performers like Mr. Burton are the reason why the art of magic seems to be stuck with the same public image for such a long time. I'm glad he didn't advance in the competition. The Quick change act is more magical, Now they need to add artistry.

Like I said this is simply my opinion... which I posted because Nathan Burton's tricks agravated me.

Alex Linian
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1278 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Man, that was harsh.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-08-12 16:54, Alex Linian wrote:
Just my opinion here...
I really don't think Mr. Burton has been doing a good job as a magician in this show.
He simply presents the magic as amusing tricks, and he's not very original. I saw Copperfield do the snow routine (better of course) a long time ago. I think performers like Mr. Burton are the reason why the art of magic seems to be stuck with the same public image for such a long time. I'm glad he didn't advance in the competition. Like I said this is simply my opinion... which I posted because Nathan Burton's tricks agravated me.
Alex Linian

Hi Alex,

I agree with you that Nathan is no Copperfield...but... I don't think he ever tried to be. His show has always been more about the comedy edge to magic. He has yet to wear a puffy shirt or tight pants or try to look serious in any of his act. He is stuck with that " boyish" kid next door look and he's making the most of it. He is one of the few magic acts in Vegas actually growing in popularity these days so I have to take my hat off to the guy.

I've never met him but many friends of mine who have worked with him and know him personally have NOTHING but good things to say about him and how he has earned every bit of success of his career thus far.

There is nothing wrong with you not appreciating his style and nothing wrong with you expressing your opinion. Different strokes for different folks. LOL

Lastly... I don't think we can judge his snow routine based on the rushed schedule of televison. He had only so much time to do some magic and had to squeeze as much in as possible. Its hard to build up any atmosphere when the clock is ticking.

Best,

Tim
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
296 Posts

Profile of Dirko
I agree with you Timothy. I believe he is rused and that is why it comes off as merely a trick and not a magical experience that you get from Copperfield. I think Nathan Burton did a good job and should be commended.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Naa ya just aren't thinking it through.
I guarantee DC would look EQUAL or worse than Burton. Why? DC needs a big set up and allot of fans to make wind.... No really, think about it, how good anyone can do in the short time. They are not allowing time to set the mood so just about everyone had to scale their time down.

And if you watched the last show, it takes much more planning and thought to put on three illusions in a row. The fact is, they have to pay to have all his props and people to come from Vegas TO MAKE THEIR SHOW look bigger. Sorry, DC is not doing much in the way of original magic either. The Brit had it right when he said it is the same old thing but he would have to say that about DC as well. Same basic effect just with different window dressing. That is what we all do for the most part.

If you really think about it, NB was liked enough that the producers latched onto him and milked him for as much as they could. I think if you go back and count the amount of EXTRAS, he performed the most after his competition act. I think so much more was setup on that show than most would like to believe. You just do not carry all that stuff unless they asked for it.

It is my opinion that anyone would have a weaker look if limited to how much time you can set a piece up. You just do not have the time to go into a long drawn out story about the first time you saw your first snow, blah blah in a show like that. You can not bring your flying rig and lighting people either. They will not fly in your back drop or allow you to display it and take all the extra glitz in you million show out, and even DC would not look as large.

Quote:
On 2006-08-12 16:54, Alex Linian wrote:
Just my opinion here...
He simply presents the magic as amusing tricks, and he's not very original. I saw Copperfield do the snow routine (better of course) a long time ago. I think performers like Mr. Burton are the reason why the art of magic seems to be stuck with the same public image for such a long time. I'm glad he didn't advance in the competition. The Quick change act is more magical, Now they need to add artistry.

Like I said this is simply my opinion... which I posted because Nathan Burton's tricks agravated me.

Alex Linian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Nathan Burton on America has Talent (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL