The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Salt pour, practical?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I really like the effect of the salt pour. However, I think that if I performed this effect in some venues, I may not be asked back... it is a messy effect.

When I work on stage at a hotel I try not to go back out on stage after the show. Hotel staff or agents normally bring my table from stage to the change room. If I had salt all over the stage I don't think they would be too impressed.

I am very careful about these types of things. I have decided not to use fire effects in close-up or stage either. I don't want any accidents.

I am thinking that I could do water in the news or some other newspaper effect then lay the newspaper on the stage and do the salt pour on to the newspaper. Although some salt may still fall on to the stage it may eliminate some of the mess...

What is your experience with this effect?
If there are any posts on this issue regarding the salt pour, please let me know. I couldn't find anything.

Thanks

Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
A long while ago, Paula Paul posted that she made a black bedsheet into a slide with a catch bin at the bottom. I don't know what kind of frame she used, but I imagine you couldn't go too far wrong if you based your model on a collapsible laundry basket.

Curt
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks Curt,

I will try and find that post.
Click here
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
There are several options other than just letting the salt pour onto the floor. Paula Paul’s drop cloth is a good one. Another idea is to simply pour the salt onto a tabletop (use a manipulators open “drop” table and pour it into the table top).

I use a bowl that I catch the salt into. The bowl apparently fills with salt (much more salt than can possibly come from my fist!) then turns into a white silk when turned over (yes this is as old as the hills but then so am I!)

A little creative thinking and you will probably come up with several workable and entertaining ideas.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks Harry,

Some good ideas there.
Click here
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The Merlin DVD (put out by Bill Abbott) covers this issue extensivly. The drop cloth and the use of umbrella are two of the methods he discusses.

My current thinking is to use a hat, but there is much to be said for a visible pile of salt growing as you do the pour.

Tony
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Tony

I have ordered the Merlin dvd. So I look forward to the discussion.

Hat sounds good.
Click here
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

I used to use the Al Goshman newspaper idea (I believe it was his). At the end, you pour the salt from the paper into a clear bowl, and it overflows the bowl.

The Merlin DVD set has some really nice thinking on the Salt Pour.

Tony
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Danny Korem produced a bowl that filled from a salt pour back in the 80's.

I use a folding waste can or the new folding ditch boxes on market. Just put a small waste can liner in it and throw it away after the show or save it and re-use the salt. The container is on the floor or it can be on a small table or stand that is about 2 feet off the ground.

I have used the newspaper idea and it did not work for me, the salt hits the newspaper and just bounces off. I suggest a 6'x6' size at least.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Years ago, the vaudeville acts (according to Jay Marshall) would advertise "coming east with new drop cloths". This was to publicize the fact they did not leave a messy stage by using a drop cloth.

I used to place the cloth out as part of the music. It was simple matter to pick up the whole thing to strike it.

I do like the chute idea to help show the salt.

Bottom line it is a practical effect that simply needs some planning to work in all venues.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Presently I perform it into a small plastic waste basket. I like the idea of pouring it afterward into a glass bowl to show the volume. You can easily have some salt in the basket beforehand to add more volume to the illusion.

Dan.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The umbrella idea sounds great, as the package of salt... that EVERYONE is familiar with has "When it Rains it Pours" on the box, with a little girl holding an umbrella.

Did you know that artist/magician HARLAN TARBELL did that drawing of the girl?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Peter:

Thank you, I did not know that. Morton Salt is the brand name that uses that drawing as a logo. Was his the original drawing used in 1914, or one of the later drawings?

Tony
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-06-22 16:56, Pete Biro wrote:
The umbrella idea sounds great, as the package of salt... that EVERYONE is familiar with has "When it Rains it Pours" on the box, with a little girl holding an umbrella.

Did you know that artist/magician HARLAN TARBELL did that drawing of the girl?

You mean we've been starring at his work all this time! I didn't know that. I do a lot of cooking at home and just used the large salt container again with the little gal and umbrella starring at me. And that was Tarbell's drawing. Oh my gosh.

What!
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
She's been redrawn and updated many times over the years.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I'm sure. It would be kinda fun to find out the dates that Tarbell's version was used. I know about changing, as we did some of that over the years in the art studio where I worked. I used to design Del Monte Food Labels!
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
I don't know how we'd even begin to determine that. What's your source of the story, Pete? I've seen different versions of that logo and others reproduced in various books on advertising design, but I can't even remember what books now. And as you know, the art wouldn't be signed. (I doubt we can find signed Pete Biro Del Monte art, either, any more than we'd find my signature on most of the things I've designed.) Maybe we can narrow it down, though.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Someone at Morton Salt must be reading this thread. Here is a link to the history and dates of various incarnations of the girl and umbrella logo.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/heritage_popup.html

Tony
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sadly, to me, the latest Salt Girl looks too skinny... I like the Shirley Temple and/or the Judy Garland looks best... still doesn't credit the artist. I wish I could recall the source of the Tarbell link.
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
Curt:

Thank you for the credit for the black backdrop idea. In truth, it was never fleshed out fully to become a permanent part of the act, although a few of the resulting chutes and medium backdrops were employed on occasions when I needed several "sets" of material for scattered spots in a show, or for extra running time. A nifty effect like the salt pour could be snicked into a spot between two heavily-tested pieces, and you won't go wrong. How many pieces of my main materials started out just as the answer to a necessity!

The idea for a black chute, though, goes to Bev Bergeron. We were knocking around ideas for making something as delicious as "The Salt Pour" play for as large a house as possible. I don't think Bev's ideas of a chute ended with salt going to the floor. (Although he was working under the great conditions that could have made such thing acceptable.) None of my test-chutes did, though. A rule I couldn’t always stick to, but for commercial viability, I had to “walk on as clean as possible, and walk off the same”.

All more is the fun, to decide on a clear receptacle which, among other benefits, gives you the added dimension of watching it fill. Or, the endless objects (seashell>)shapes and the (in)flexibilities with a black box, basket, form ... and, dear, oh dear, all the extra thibdibs that could be concealed on, in, under, near, etc; such a (possibly autonomous) prop for Salt Into Perpetuity. (A fun idea until it becomes Introduction to Boredom.) Does the box or glass go tabletop and palmtop, like an ashtray, or, stand in its own place, as in an art gallery, or like a living room lamp>

Oh, so you’ve noticed that my trusty old laptop is missing its Question Mark. (That’s like missing one-half a Daryl Martinez, I guess.)

I bought lots of different salts, too. Today, if one were doing a “Pamper” Scene, then larger, and colorful, bath salts could be used. Anything to make it more visible, until you hit the wrinkle of not letting the prop lose its “everyday” quality. Like the newspaper, salt was on the audience’ tables this morning…part of what makes the effect so strong.

So, a tip of the hat to Bev, who could always be counted on for plenty of terrific brainstorms and ideas … some starting as a little seed from his wide access, experiences and child-eyed\laser eyed love for all things he could fasten those eyes onto! Wow. I haven’t seen him in YEARS… a lifetime ago.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Salt pour, practical?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL