The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Did Angel Jump The Shark Last Night? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1185 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Other than come across as a greasy guy hanging out in a club with kids half his age and making fun of Johnny Thompson, what was the point of last night's (Wednesday's) MINDFREAK? No stunts, a little magic and one of the worst hands through body ever. Have they run out of ideas already?
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27034 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'll reserve comment till feedback is in from the target demographic.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Walking on Water??? Levitation from one building to another????? How do you top this each and every week??

Answer.... You don't. Once a year maybe.. but not week after week. Idea's have got to be running short.

Best,

Tim
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I actually am liking this new feel for the show. It is almost like a recording artist paying his dues with selling out to do the things he/she really wants to do. This is showing Criss' more relatable side. He is not so "freakish". Looks like he is having more fun.

It would have been better if we didn't know what was going to happen to that dude at the end. But then we saw the previews and they showed it earlier in the episode.

Some very good magic was done on that show.

As Tim said though, how can you do something huge every week? You don't. You just do what you want to do because now you can. In Season 1, a lot of the stunts/big effects were very physically demanding, yet he did them all in a relatively short period of time--something not easily duplicated.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1185 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Why re-up to do a weekly show if you are already on coast mode by episode 4? Mrbilldentertainer and Timothy Drake may think they are asking too much of Angel to actually produce a show week after week, but if I were A&E I'd be ****ed. They could have gotten last night's show from Tara Reid. The bar tab would have been higher, but she prob. would have gone home with Johnny T. so everyone wins.

The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-06-22 16:49, bitterman wrote:
Why re-up to do a weekly show if you are already on coast mode by episode 4? Mrbilldentertainer and Timothy Drake may think they are asking too much of Angel to actually produce a show week after week, but if I were A&E I'd be ****ed.

I'm not in any way a fan of this show. I don't watch it. The reality remains however that when you do something so unbelievable on a weekly basis... how do you top it??? The price you pay for using camera tricks is that you can do ANYTHING! Soon you've done EVERYTHING and you're out of fresh ideas. I think this is happening to Chris. It'll soon be time for him to pack it in...cry all the way to the bank and then go on tour or produce a show in Vegas or something.

Best,

Tim
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1185 Posts

Profile of bitterman
I agree in principal with what you are saying; I just think it’s way too early in his run to have run out of ideas. I wonder if Angel has fallen in love with himself and really thinks that a show about him walking around a club is compelling. I’m sure he has an army of people who’s paychecks he signs telling him what a great show it is and that must mess with his mind a little, but you’d think there would have to be someone around (besides us snipers on the internet) to give him a reality bitchslap.

Yanez
View Profile
New user
Eddy Yanez
7 Posts

Profile of Yanez
I liked that episode! I don't normally like his shows due to the "Big Event" at the end. i.e. walking on water. levatation between buildings. ect... But in this show he had some stuff I thought was entertaining. I liked the Cigarette routine. and the Poker chips. Bring on the slight of hand, the coins, the cards, the doves. Im so tired of the escapes and the Super Levitations. Blow me up in a box and Ill hide a Elephant on my dirt bike as I do a Superman across the Grand Canyon!!! I want to see the old magic! I like the old Magicians. If I want to be shocked Ill go to break.com or a similar site that will give me mindless reactions. If I want Magic I want to see Jeff McBride do cards. I want Penn and Teller and sarcasm. I want the kid at the mall to show me a trick and do a bad double lift, but the trick still ended good! I love that ****! Simple, Elegant, Entertaining. Keep up the small tricks and the guest Magicians. Ill keep watching and I appreciate Angel keeping Magic alve on T.V. and Blane too.

Yanez
Sultan: Are you a Magician?

Jaffar: I have some skill.

-The Thief of Bagdad 1940-
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
This may be the wrong Angel thread but I wish to make a point on the comments regarding the use of computers to enhance, change, or?

Example: When you do a Kellar style levitation ON STAGE... what do you do to hide the W***S? You use a busy, or a moving background.

If you use that system outdoors, you may not be able to hide the work with the background so you USE THE TOOL AVAILABLE to hide something.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Remember, he is putting on a show. A magic themed play, so what if all the people on screen are actors?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I agree with that, the show is not for the people on camera it is for the millions watching on TV. I’m also sorry to burst some peoples bubbles but the show isn’t filmed for magicians either. All any show is meant to do is get good ratings, obviously it is accomplishing that or else it wouldn’t be on the air anymore.
davidrowyn
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of davidrowyn
Quote:
On 2006-06-23 12:54, Pete Biro wrote:
This may be the wrong Angel thread but I wish to make a point on the comments regarding the use of computers to enhance, change, or?

Example: When you do a Kellar style levitation ON STAGE... what do you do to hide the W***S? You use a busy, or a moving background.

If you use that system outdoors, you may not be able to hide the work with the background so you USE THE TOOL AVAILABLE to hide something.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Everything is wrong with that!

CGI is not a 'tool' in any reputable magician's repertoire.

A real magician uses the camera to reach the viewing audience, but respects his audience by not crossing the camera trick/CGI line.

Magic on television has no meaning to the home viewer when it's learned that camera tricks or CGI are used.

//
Khopri
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
237 Posts

Profile of Khopri
Ah... back to the CGI thread.

If CGI can be used to the point where even a CGI technician didn't realize it was used...use it.

But don't rely on it to be your big climax for every episode.
davidrowyn
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of davidrowyn
Quote:
On 2006-06-23 21:44, Khopri wrote:

If CGI can be used to the point where even a CGI technician didn't realize it was used...use it.

What a lazy approach to the art of magic! When you allow the definition to include camera tricks and CGI, what you see can still be amazing, it can even still be entertaining, but it is no longer magical.

Magic is made by a magician, not a computer technician.

//
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2820 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I'm sure I'll be attacked, but I loved this episode...plus all the others...that cell phone in bottle is hot to death!

NP
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I just attacked you... but I missed... you are still alive... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7170 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
TV is a passing fad. It will never last. Real magic was on Radio...no camera tricks!

Chris Angel should use every trick in the book to look like a real wiz....come on guys! On the street it's a thread. On camera it's erased pixels...what's the diff?
Purist horse pucky? It IS for the punters, who think it's all camera tricks anyway. So what.

Practice your art...use deoderant...do magic...buy food.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1185 Posts

Profile of bitterman
It would be about the same as the latest flavor of the month going on TV to lip sync to her computer enhanced pre-recorded voice on a live TV show. Happens all the time. People make millions off it. Doug Hingley approves, but please don't call it singing.

Danno
View Profile
New user
Boston
94 Posts

Profile of Danno
I think the Criss Angel close-up magic episode was his best ever.
For the first time I said to myself "Ok...this guy DOES have some talent"
I get real tired of magic that involves set-ups with actors and friends, the use of camera tricks and CGI.

To see Criss doing some sleight of hand stuff was refreshing.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
I do like the fact that Criss has other magi on his show like Johnny Thompson, Lance Burton, Amazing Jonathan, Jeff McBride, Banachek etc etc
TrevorH
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of TrevorH
Agreed the close up stuff where you got to see Criss Angel go back more towards "the roots" of magic one may say was refreshing. Sure he does some thing sto put himself over and boost his ratings for the viewers at home to make them tune in again next week. The fact that he does have real skills with cards and his sleight of hand work along with other moves show the people that maybe don't know much about him and think this guy just showed up to be a tv star to cash in for the higher ups that he has been around along time and has true skills.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Did Angel Jump The Shark Last Night? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL