The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Borodin's effect : the Face (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2006-06-24 11:28, nitemares666 wrote:
I have been looking around but could not find anyone that sells it ?

You can find for sale here
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Quote:
On 2006-06-23 13:07, Dr Spektor wrote:
Ok - some stuff I found but I posted it in Secret Sessions so that this thread doesn't get moved there:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......37&0

Much information there! Thanks.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
I'm looking for a video demo of this. Any ideas? It's a lot to spend with only relying on a typed description.

Evan
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Hi all.

Not fishing for methods, but how slowly does your face change?

This may suit a show I am doing at the back end of the year!

Many Thanks

Gary
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Back in the early 50's as a kid I did this at the Empire Theater in Staten Island. The account is in Scary Dark Rides..from the Midway To Disneyland but basically it was in a Live Spook Show. I was in the audience and prior to show time the "Magician" put some cream base makeup on my mug to look skeletal...at the right moment just before the black out, he set off an old time photographers phosphorus flash bar which made the makeup glow...in the ensuing darkness I got up and turned around and became a sort of bone head floating in the audience midst. When the lights came on I sat down. haha. The makeup must have been infused at the time with radium or some other highly toxic substance so in a few days or at any moment I expect my face to fall off...ofcourse the Atomic Brain enhancement has served me well.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You can find a variation on the above in "Return of the Werewolf" in The Wizards' Journal #4 on my site. The method is good for more than werewolf transformations. I was watching a re-run of a re-run of a re-run of Conan the Barbarian the other day, where the old wizard decorates Governor Schwarzenegger's face with designs in a healing ceremony and thinking that would be a nice decoration for my werewolf transformation next Halloween. Do you think anyone would mistake me for Arnie?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Daughter Of Dr. Jeckle a 1957 shlocker used simple eyebrow pencil if I remember correctly and lighting enhancement. I only saw it once in the theater but do remember the 'in camera' transformation scene was to a point creative but really poor in execution.

And spellbinder...uh....no.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-01-12 11:51, GarySumpter wrote:
Hi all.

Not fishing for methods, but how slowly does your face change?

This may suit a show I am doing at the back end of the year!

Many Thanks

Gary

The change occurs over a period of about 7 seconds. It stays for about that long, then it fades out.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
SamOne
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of SamOne
Talking about light magic ...playing with my uv lamp last night ..i had that hand shape (blood color) appearing on my wall.

anyone knows what kind of "substance" gives that result with an uv lamp ???
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Well, simply put.. any substance that is UV reactive - fluorescent.
Check out http://www.blacklight.com for ideas ..
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are many compounds that will do this. Some detergents, Murine eye drops, there are many. The chief advantages of the materials supplied with the Face are that the light unit is very small, and can be hidden on the person easily. The makeup, when properly applied is completely invisible under normal light.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

SamOne
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of SamOne
Thanks a lot mystician and mr palmer ! Smile
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
A standard theatrical lighting fixture of any quality (but with no outstanding technical features) costs around $650.00 each.

For lighting fixtures that have additional capabilities, that price rises to up over $1500.00 each very quickly.

Typical moving fixtures go for around $10,000.00 each and up.

All of a sudden $600.00 for a limited run, custom designed, and vertically engineered fixture as used in "The Face" sounds like an extremely good price. And of course you get the routine, performing rights, and other bits in addition to the fixture itself.

It's an amazingly good deal at twice the price.
SenseiStrange
View Profile
Veteran user
The Dead God's Dreams
345 Posts

Profile of SenseiStrange
I have been doing this effect for years. I thought I made it up myself.

There is no reason why you should have to pay this much for this effect. For an investment of 40 bucks you can do this for the rest of your life.

I have different versions for stage (sometimes I do it as magic, other times straight theatrical effect) and up close. The walk around close up version is much stronger for really tripping someone out, and is perfect for magic at nightclubs and dark places of the night.

I do different versions - sometimes a skull, arcane symbols, or even just having my beard glow.

Good stuff, but a lot of time in front of the mirror.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You have to be very careful what you apply to your skin. "The Face" comes with two routines, plus the special electronic fade-in, fade-out apparatus which was designed by a German aerospace firm.

While cheaper alternatives may work fine for you, until you really work with the one Alex Römer produces for Borodin, you won't know the difference.

The same is true of the makeup.

It's like conversations about the cups and balls. In 1949, Vernon wrote up his famous routine using drinking glasses wrapped with paper. Yep, they worked just fine. But he didn't perform with those. On Revelations V, he said he preferred his silver, engraved cups. Why? They made him feel happier. They were sterling silver, and had a history behind them.

Kirkendall came out with the skeletal glow before anyone else did. Borodin discovered his independently in the early 1990's. I'm not sure when Sensei Strange came up with his. I've seen one version of his, and it is very effective.

Certainly, you don't HAVE to spend $600 for a set of the item Alex Römer produces to do the routine. It does make it very convenient, though. It all depends on how deep you are into your craft and how much of it you want to be the top rung. You can spend a lot of money tracking down the right stuff to do this with.

When Hocus Pocus started importing the modules from Germany, I had to find the proper blacklight for them to use for the makeup, since the German fixtures and lamps would not work on our voltages. I spent about $200 on mail order lamps, locating the right one, so Hocus Pocus could furnish it with the prop.

What you pay for a prop sometimes reflects only a fraction of what went into the initial production of it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Sleeveless
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Sleeveless
I, too, saw George Kirkendall perform this at Invocational. It truly is a fabulous effect. His presentation was what really sold the effect. I seem to recall that he wrote it up for The Invocation. Does any know if he did? Anyway, this can be a truly magical bizarre performance piece with a lasting impact on one's audience.

P.S. This is my first post so please go easy on me. Thanks.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Welcome Sleeveless!

Nice to have you here.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Just a quick, almost silly addition to the list of UV reactive substances, one that is easily available and cheap (like so many others):
Tonic water
More specifically, the quinine in tonic water. Granted, it's not an intense glow, but it's there nonetheless.
The cool thing is, it's safe to drink.
(Especially good when mixed with Bombay or Beefeater) Smile
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Spirits with spirits, eh, Mysty?
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Borodin's effect : the Face (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL